• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Waiting for some results in Oswego county..

OSWEGO COUNTY, NY — Four people are being monitored after possible exposure to the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19, in Oswego County, according to the Oswego County Health Department.

The individuals are in voluntary, precautionary isolation and are being monitored by the health department's nursing staff.

There are still no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Oswego County as of Monday evening.

3 sailors in my son's nuclear power school base tested positive (1 in his class) and 20 are under quarantine. Navy had everyone sign papers saying they would avoid public places, other than the prototype training sub they are at...very Navy response.

On the bright side (?), they pretty much think this is all a sad joke as Corona is mainly a "Boomer Remover". LOFL. Navy never changes.

1 hour ago, Syrmax said:

Short but Informative Vox Media presentation and background on why China is a hotbed for virus formation...

...and a 60 Minutes Australia undercover exposé on China’s Wet Markets and Corona Virus

China need to fix this sh!t.

I agree with this. Proximity to live mammals is key to interspecies transmission. Live animal retail markets should be outlawed. 

Don’t forget the origin of Ebola and Marburg — bushmeat often sold at markets in central Africa. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WNash said:

I agree with this. Proximity to live mammals is key to interspecies transmission. Live animal retail markets should be outlawed. 

Don’t forget the origin of Ebola and Marburg — bushmeat often sold at markets in central Africa. 

While I understand the culture in certain countries and how these rituals have been practiced for centuries...can we move into the 21st century? There are too many examples of the health effects of some of these archaic practices on humans with the spread of disease that otherwise would not happen. For the sake of humanity this should be no longer practiced.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Stood outside speras for almost 2 hrs until they opened.. Line was to the street, it was like black Friday. 

Bought like 40-50 pounds of meat lol 

Would of bought more but didn't wanna get jumped lol

IMG_20200318_100224.jpg.01b7d2c1c67e63fa

IMG_20200318_112140.jpg.5cd1048ef5db6713

Good plan.  You will hate chicken once this clears...

• Haha 3

The highly contagious novel coronavirus that has exploded into a global pandemic can remain viable and infectious in droplets in the air for hours and on surfaces up to days, according to a new study that should offer guidance to help people avoid contracting the respiratory illness called COVID-19.

Scientists from the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), part of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, attempted to mimic the virus deposited from an infected person onto everyday surfaces in a household or hospital setting, such as through coughing or touching objects.

They used a device to dispense an aerosol that duplicated the microscopic droplets created in a cough or a sneeze.

The scientists then investigated how long the virus remained infectious on these surfaces, according to the study that appeared online in the New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday - a day in which U.S. COVID-19 cases surged past 5,200 and deaths approached 100

The tests show that when the virus is carried by the droplets released when someone coughs or sneezes, it remains viable, or able to still infect people, in aerosols for at least three hours.

On plastic and stainless steel, viable virus could be detected after three days. On cardboard, the virus was not viable after 24 hours. On copper, it took 4 hours for the virus to become inactivated.

In terms of half-life, the research team found that it takes about 66 minutes for half the virus particles to lose function if they are in an aerosol droplet.

That means that after another hour and six minutes, three quarters of the virus particles will be essentially inactivated but 25% will still be viable.

The amount of viable virus at the end of the third hour will be down to 12.5%, according to the research led by Neeltje van Doremalen of the NIAID’s Montana facility at Rocky Mountain Laboratories.

On stainless steel, it takes 5 hours 38 minutes for half of the virus particles to become inactive. On plastic, the half-life is 6 hours 49 minutes, researchers found.

On cardboard, the half-life was about three and a half hours, but the researchers said there was a lot of variability in those results "so we advise caution" interpreting that number.

The shortest survival time was on copper, where half the virus became inactivated within 46 minutes.

On a happier note, that wind event for Friday looks well timed to maximize diurnal mixing. Would love to see some gusts up around 60mph, It's been awhile since we've had any exciting weather.  And I know how many wind enthusiasts we have on this board, LOLZ!  :P

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

13 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I read somewhere yesterday possibly12-18 months for a vaccine..

That is the standard turn around from what I've read.  That said, there are many viruses in this world that we have never been able to develop a vaccine for, so that might be overly optimistic. On the other hand, I'm sure there is more work being done on this vaccine than in almost any time in modern history, so we may get a hail mary.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

He says the unemployment website keeps crashing due to it being overloaded, unable to even apply for benefits. No one is prepared.

I wonder if he will be able to afford the cobra payments to keep health insurance despite him having no control over his employment. ;)

I have decided to voluntarily quarantine myself along with my fiancé and son. My fiancé is 27 weeks pregnant and pregnant women are now being put in the high risk category due to their suppressed immune systems. I was told by the post office today that they can’t garuntee I’ll have a job when I come back as I may be out of work for months until it is safe enough for me to go back after my daughter is born. Luckily I have a years worth of savings that I can survive through this but as you stated unfortunately many don’t have that and I have no idea how they are going to get through this time. It’s so scary and surreal, it’s like living in a nightmare. How quick things change from life a month ago to now, I know I never saw this coming. Also shows you how much we all take our health and day to day lives for granted. Praying for everyone to get through this.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

On a happier note, that wind event for Friday looks well timed to maximize diurnal mixing. Would love to see some gusts up around 60mph, It's been awhile since we've had any exciting weather.  And I know how many wind enthusiasts we have on this board, LOLZ!  :P

Blow all of the virus away...

Still have chances for one of these fast movers to catch at the right time. Doesn’t look like anything big. We never stood a chance this winter. Those of you who pointed out the indices being crap were right. 
Each season I learn something new. This time it was the importance of indices and annual trends. 
If I end up getting that second home in the Dacks, I’ll have 19/20 to thank. I’m not sure I could tolerate another one like this. IT WAS UGLY!

God speed friends. Y’all are eloquent as **** and argue good points. 

• Like 3

It will remain quite unsettled across our forecast area on Friday...
as the still intensifying sfc will track into northern Quebec. Its
corresponding cold front will plow across our region...with
conditionally unstable air and very strong synoptic forcing favoring
showers and gusty thunderstorms. There will be two rounds of storms
possible...initially with a prefrontal trough early in the day and
again during the midday-early afternoon with the actual fropa. Given
winds of 50-60 knots just off the deck...any convection will carry
the risk of transporting these winds to the sfc. As earlier
mentioned...SPC has placed most of New York state in a marginal risk
for severe weather.

Greater confidence is felt with the potential for strong to damaging
synoptic wind gusts. The aforementioned 55 to 60 knot low level jet
will persist in the cold advection in the wake of the front...and
given strong mixing as supported by deep subsidence and at least
partial clearing...the majority of these winds could mix to the sfc.
The area most likely to receive the strong to potentially damaging
winds would include the typical high wind corridor from Lake Erie
and the IAG Frontier to Rochester. Usually...a significant trop fold
is experienced during high wind events...but in this case most
guidance packages do not suggest such. Nevertheless...a high wind
watch for gusts to 60 mph has been issued in this corridor to cover
this threat. Elsewhere...wind gusts will likely exceed 40 mph.
Otherwise...temperatures that will start the day in the 60s will
climb to near 70 across parts of the Genesee valley and Finger Lakes
region before the strong cold front charges across the region early
in the afternoon. Temperatures will then tumble into the 30s and 40s
by sunset.

Buffalo at least mentioned the S word lol

Sunday, strong high pressure will build slowly east across Quebec,
maintaining dry weather and sunshine. Temperatures will remain a
little below average in the associated cool airmass.

The next trough will then advance across the Ohio Valley and eastern
Great Lakes Monday, eventually supporting secondary cyclogenesis off
the east coast. The trough will bring an increasing chance of
precipitation very late Sunday night through Monday. Temperatures
aloft and at the surface may allow for some of this to fall as wet
snow initially before temperatures begin to warm later Monday
afternoon. This system will move out Monday night, followed by weak
high pressure and dry weather for Tuesday.