• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

Of all the conspiracy theories, this might be the one I hate the most (aside from flat earth theory, which is just absurd).  

CONTRAILS are a normal, understandable, and even forecast-able phenomena.   When the upper atmosphere has the right moisture and temperature, the bergeron process is initiated creating long lasting contrails.  The Military actively learned how to predict and forecast the formation of contrails as they could seriously jeopardize covert military operations.  A sounding from Buffalo this morning shows quite an abundance of moisture aloft that was just waiting for the perfect trigger to condense and form ice crystals.  I didnt dig too deep into the appleman charts, but it appears that the upper atmosphere was near ideal conditions both temp and humidity wise to make long lasting contrails.

https://science-edu.larc.nasa.gov/contrail-edu/resources-activities-appleman_student.html Just google applman contrail chart for a myriad of different tools to forecast contrails.

Capture.thumb.PNG.31ff927edff4cbbc61c14ee9cc619651.PNG

3 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Not trying to be that conspiracy nut guy... but what’s up with all the chem trails over Buffalo this morning?  I’ve never seen so many before...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

I’m reluctant to make this political but I think we are seeing what happens when an anti science guy withno appetite for learning is confronted by a global health crisis. 
A situation like this can make or break a politician. It might be old news by November but I’m starting to think the economy is gonna take a while. 
Im still buying stocks. IVV SAN and QQQ today. 

Idk the first thing about the market but i just made a appt with Brighton securities for later in the week to try and get an understanding on my options 

3 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Starting to run low on meat, specifically chicken lol Even the party warehouse in Greece and Binghamton are out, it's the point I may need to camp out overnight lol Most places are out of stock by 10am..

Our local dashes was wiped of all chicken, flour, rice and most dairy. Going to have to make my own butter...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'll make it political. The dude is a joke and how he got elected makes me question the majority of people living in this country. I cannot stand someone being so anti science being the most powerful person on the planet. Unfortunately Biden has no chance to beat him and the idiotic democratic party manipulated the media and its other presidential entries into backing Biden who has early stages of dementia...This country is *******....

Even many of his fans are shook. His MO has been to take what’s gone on in politics where parties demonize each other to make people pick a side (like a team) and apply it to *everything*. In his world there is no objective truth about anything — just Trump’s version of the truth and what he sees as his enemies’ version of the truth. As a result,  competent government — an independent civil service — doesn’t exist. As has as he is concerned, there are two kinds of people: one kind who is loyal to Trump and will do whatever they can to make him look good, and another kind, who is everyone else, and he regards that kind as his enemy.

The problem is that a virus doesn’t give a damn about anything but replicating. At first, Trump treated it like he treats any bad news: he called it “fake” and offered his usual alternate reality, in which the virus was just a cold and would go away soon. The fact is that they’re weren’t a lot of things that could be done to stop this pandemic. Closing borders is a fantasy. I don’t think any politician would have done what needed to be done — extreme social distancing —  before the virus started spreading out of control. It would have been the usual nonsense about “liberals”, the same playbook that they use to try to discredit climate science. But anthropogenic global warming happens on a scale of decades. A pandemic spreads in days, and all but the most brainwashed people are going to acknowledge the threat.

But Trump has destroyed his presidency not because he didn’t take steps to enforce social distancing early enough, but because he still sees this as a zero sum battle where he can personally win. The news that he tried to bargain to buy the product of vaccination research from a German company for *exclusive US use* is so stupid that it precludes having any faith in his leadership. It’s a worldwide pandemic and literally every country needs enough vaccine to create herd immunity. You can’t let it run wild in any country, or will create a viral reservoir that could make your vaccine ineffective. Trump thinks he can “win” this and make someone else a loser, but there literally is no winning unless everyone wins.

I have strong political views — I think most Democrats are garbage but Republicans are somehow even worse. But under the circumstances, just having any politician with some ability to understand basic science would be so welcome. I’d take any president of my lifetime over this. Trump is  apparently incapable of understanding what is happening. He isn’t learning. The only way that he’s not going to get many people killed is if enough people close to him interfere with him enough to allow experts, and people who trust expertise, to do their thing.

I wish that his cabinet would declare him incapacitated and let Pence take over. But it seems that at least some of Trump’s voters who agreed with his strategy of maximum division are realizing that he’s not going to learn or change, and no  victory over political rivals is worth the damage his incompetence is causing.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, WNash said:

Even many of his fans are shook. His MO has been to take what’s gone on in politics where parties demonize each other to make people pick a side (like a team) and apply it to *everything*. In his world there is no objective truth about anything — just Trump’s version of the truth and what he sees as his enemies’ version of the truth. As a result,  competent government — an independent civil service — doesn’t exist. As has as he is concerned, there are two kinds of people: one kind who is loyal to Trump and will do whatever they can to make him look good, and another kind, who is everyone else, and he regards that kind as his enemy.

The problem is that a virus doesn’t give a damn about anything but replicating. At first, Trump treated it like he treats any bad news: he called it “fake” and offered his usual alternate reality, in which the virus was just a cold and would go away soon. The fact is that they’re weren’t a lot of things that could be done to stop this pandemic. Closing borders is a fantasy. I don’t think any politician would have done what needed to be done — extreme social distancing —  before the virus started spreading out of control. It would have been the usual nonsense about “liberals”, the same playbook that they use to try to discredit climate science. But anthropogenic global warming happens on a scale of decades. A pandemic spreads in days, and all but the most brainwashed people are going to acknowledge the threat.

But Trump has destroyed his presidency not because he didn’t take steps to enforce social distancing early enough, but because he still sees this as a zero sum battle where he can personally win. The news that he tried to bargain to buy the product of vaccination research from a German company for *exclusive US use* is so stupid that it precludes having any faith in his leadership. It’s a worldwide pandemic and literally every country needs enough vaccine to create herd immunity. You can’t let it run wild in any country, or will create a viral reservoir that could make your vaccine ineffective. Trump thinks he can “win” this and make someone else a loser, but there literally is no winning unless everyone wins.

I have strong political views — I think most Democrats are garbage but Republicans are somehow even worse. But under the circumstances, just having any politician with some ability to understand basic science would be so welcome. I’d take any president of my lifetime over this. Trump is  apparently incapable of understanding what is happening. He isn’t learning. The only way that he’s not going to get many people killed is if enough people close to him interfere with him enough to allow experts, and people who trust expertise, to do their thing.

I wish that his cabinet would declare him incapacitated and let Pence take over. But it seems that at least some of Trump’s voters who agreed with his strategy of maximum division are realizing that he’s not going to learn or change, and no  victory over political rivals is worth the damage his incompetence is causing.

I agree. I hate all politicians, I can actually support Bernie though. I think the fundamental system of having a 2 party system in which Super Pacs are allowed to finance elections and get the politician to side on a certain matter because of money is a joke. The entire foundation of our democracy is founded about deceit, deception, greed, and manipulation.

• Like 2

Yep. Politicians: They're all the same. And any individual who starts with the "us" vs. "them" when it comes to referring to the "other" major party only condones the division that has occurred in our country.

Unfortunately, there isn't much of a way out of it, with politicians, corporations, Pharma, and the media all linked together to make a hostile force.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yep. Politicians: They're all the same. And any individual who starts with the "us" vs. "them" when it comes to referring to the "other" major party only condones the division that has occurred in our country.

Unfortunately, there isn't much of a way out of it, with politicians, corporations, Pharma, and the media all linked together to make a hostile force.

Welcome to mankind.  It’s never been anything but a struggle.  Hobbs talked about it.  

54 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I agree. I hate all politicians, I can actually support Bernie though. I think the fundamental system of having a 2 party system in which Super Pacs are allowed to finance elections and get the politician to side on a certain matter because of money is a joke. The entire foundation of our democracy is founded about deceit, deception, greed, and manipulation.

Honestly, Bernie’s the only one I respect. Trump has no idea how to beat him, because unlike basically every other politician, he’s not corrupt. But of course the Democrats, Wall Street, corporate CEOs, and their friends at CNN and MSNBC would never let him win.

• Like 1

Football news

Today has been a wild day..

The Buffalo Bills have acquired wide receiver Stefon Diggs from the Minnesota Vikings for multiple draft choices, including a first-round pick, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Buffalo is sending four picks to Minnesota -- a first, fifth and sixth in 2020 and a fourth in 2021 -- while also getting a 2020 seventh-rounder back from the Vikings.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Tough day to be a Texans fan, one of the worst trades I can remember lol

I’m a Titans fan. The Texans have done a lot right, and we always seem to end up chasing them, but I cannot figure this one out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Football news

Today has been a wild day..

The Buffalo Bills have acquired wide receiver Stefon Diggs from the Minnesota Vikings for multiple draft choices, including a first-round pick, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Buffalo is sending four picks to Minnesota -- a first, fifth and sixth in 2020 and a fourth in 2021 -- while also getting a 2020 seventh-rounder back from the Vikings.

I feel like we overpaid in a draft with loads of good WRs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WNash said:

Honestly, Bernie’s the only one I respect. Trump has no idea how to beat him, because unlike basically every other politician, he’s not corrupt. But of course the Democrats, Wall Street, corporate CEOs, and their friends at CNN and MSNBC would never let him win.

Not to start a pissing match but his policies would bankrupt this country. This country is different than the rest of the world because it’s so rich it’s social policies enable opportunistic sub culture. It’s this very inherent laziness that is why communism doesn’t work. With Bernies plan you’ll see the annual healthcare cost go up because of abuse of the social safety net, ie people will keep getting even fatter/drunk/drugged/diabetic than they already are.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Not to start a pissing match but his policies would bankrupt this country. This country is different than the rest of the world because it’s so rich it’s social policies enable opportunistic sub culture. It’s this very inherent laziness that is why communism doesn’t work. With Bernies plan you’ll see the annual healthcare cost go up because of abuse of the social safety net, ie people will keep getting even fatter/drunk/drugged/diabetic than they already are.  

The tax cuts of the last few years have added trillions of dollars to the national debt ($3 trillion as of last year). This happened in an expansionary economy, when the national debt should be shrinking. Deficit scolds didn’t cry about how we are bankrupting the country. Why? Because it’s impossible to bankrupt the country. The fed added $1.5 trillion to the monetary supply just last week, and no one screamed about inflation, because an increase in the monetary supply does not actually increase consumer prices.

Your argument is a moral argument, not an economic one. That moral argument is about to get a very serious challenge, as tens of millions of Americans will he unemployed very soon through absolutely no fault of their own. They’ll find that unemployment and food stamps benefits have been cut dramatically. With no income, what are they going to do? These are hard working people in jobs providing services that have no demand. How are they going to pay rent, pay for food, medicine? Capitalism is giving us the empty shelves that are supposed to be the product of communism.

The money is there. It has been taken by the very rich at the expense of everyone else. The graphs in this story shocked me out of complacency:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/06/opinion/income-tax-rate-wealthy.html

There are about to be millions of very hungry and very angry Americans. I lived in NYC on 9/11 and I was far less scared that day than I am now.

3 hours ago, cleetussnow said:

Welcome to mankind.  It’s never been anything but a struggle.  Hobbs talked about it.  

When Hobbes wrote that line about life being “nasty, brutish, and short,” he specifically was referring to what he called “the state of nature” — that is, human existence without government. Hobbes argued that human being accept a social contract, giving up some of their freedom to do anything they want in exchange for the protection that is provided by a strong central government.

Hobbes lived to be 91, a very long life for someone born in the 1500s, so he certainly did not lead a life that was nasty, brutish, and short.

4 hours ago, WNash said:

They bought themselves a sure thing. The Bills couldn’t afford another Sammy Watkins type pick.

Wide receivers do not make quarterbacks better. It is and has always been the other way around. Read this morning that Josh Allen had the worst off throw percentage in the league per Bill Barnwell. Diggs doesn't suddenly change that percentage nor his hero ball he likes to play. Josh reminds me if the 1 1/2 year old puppy dog that knows it's bad to piss on the carpet but does it anyway.

5 hours ago, WNash said:

The tax cuts of the last few years have added trillions of dollars to the national debt ($3 trillion as of last year). This happened in an expansionary economy, when the national debt should be shrinking. Deficit scolds didn’t cry about how we are bankrupting the country. Why? Because it’s impossible to bankrupt the country. The fed added $1.5 trillion to the monetary supply just last week, and no one screamed about inflation, because an increase in the monetary supply does not actually increase consumer prices.

Your argument is a moral argument, not an economic one. That moral argument is about to get a very serious challenge, as tens of millions of Americans will he unemployed very soon through absolutely no fault of their own. They’ll find that unemployment and food stamps benefits have been cut dramatically. With no income, what are they going to do? These are hard working people in jobs providing services that have no demand. How are they going to pay rent, pay for food, medicine? Capitalism is giving us the empty shelves that are supposed to be the product of communism.

The money is there. It has been taken by the very rich at the expense of everyone else. The graphs in this story shocked me out of complacency:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/06/opinion/income-tax-rate-wealthy.html

There are about to be millions of very hungry and very angry Americans. I lived in NYC on 9/11 and I was far less scared that day than I am now.

Few counterpoints...

"added trillions of dollars to the national debt ($3 trillion as of last year)"

Universal healthcare would add $4 trillion per year and rise year after year. No tax plan I've seen proposed makes up for that. A better way to go after the deficit is exactly what this administration is doing and stop giving handouts to the rest of the world while allowing them to rape us with tariffs. Italy has universal healthcare...My former coworkers from Canada paid to get treatment here because its so bad there.

"They’ll find that unemployment and food stamps benefits have been cut dramatically. With no income, what are they going to do? These are hard working people in jobs providing services that have no demand. How are they going to pay rent, pay for food, medicine? Capitalism is giving us the empty shelves that are supposed to be the product of communism."

Two things wrong with this.

1-There is always work to those who want it. I cant hire guys to make $50-90k a year fast enough, instead I have to sub work at $65 an hour. I've worked non stop since I started at the farmers market at 13 and since then have don everything from selling cellphones to making cardboard to wrenching cars. If I lost my job today I'd be on Upwork subcontracting engineering services while looking for my next job.

2-Empty shelves are being caused by panic buying, nothing to do with capitalism. If anything its capitalism that has my customers in the dairy industry working overtime to keep up with demand.

Anyways...Go Bills! Hopefully theres still a season. They could always go WWE style and play in an empty stadium.

6 hours ago, WNash said:

They bought themselves a sure thing. The Bills couldn’t afford another Sammy Watkins type pick.

Yeah I'm good with this trade.

Diggs is as good as anyone you could have picked at WR, and he's good right now.

Thinksnow is also right.  If they can't coach the stupid out of Josh, then nothing else will matter.

This is a really big year coming up.  If Josh doesn't get his head screwed on straight it will be time to move on and draft another QB.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

I would rather bankrupt the country while helping the average citizen than do it while lining the pockets of billionaires.  Before the shit just hit the fan, Trump had us on course for one of the largest deficits in history while the economy was "scorching hot".  It's insane to think we were running such a massive deficit at the height of this supposed amazing economy.  Just think what will happen now as we actually enter a real recession.  Trump is a complete ****ing joke of a "businessman".  Corporate tax cuts at the height of our supposed strongest economy and still running nearly a 1 trillion dollar deficit.  The guy is the greatest conman of all time and has no clue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

Few counterpoints...

"added trillions of dollars to the national debt ($3 trillion as of last year)"

Universal healthcare would add $4 trillion per year and rise year after year. No tax plan I've seen proposed makes up for that. A better way to go after the deficit is exactly what this administration is doing and stop giving handouts to the rest of the world while allowing them to rape us with tariffs. Italy has universal healthcare...My former coworkers from Canada paid to get treatment here because its so bad there.

"They’ll find that unemployment and food stamps benefits have been cut dramatically. With no income, what are they going to do? These are hard working people in jobs providing services that have no demand. How are they going to pay rent, pay for food, medicine? Capitalism is giving us the empty shelves that are supposed to be the product of communism."

Two things wrong with this.

1-There is always work to those who want it. I cant hire guys to make $50-90k a year fast enough, instead I have to sub work at $65 an hour. I've worked non stop since I started at the farmers market at 13 and since then have don everything from selling cellphones to making cardboard to wrenching cars. If I lost my job today I'd be on Upwork subcontracting engineering services while looking for my next job.

2-Empty shelves are being caused by panic buying, nothing to do with capitalism. If anything its capitalism that has my customers in the dairy industry working overtime to keep up with demand.

Anyways...Go Bills! Hopefully theres still a season. They could always go WWE style and play in an empty stadium.

I’ll bite regarding national health care. You say 4 trillion per year but I ask how much do we already spend? I’ve got a single policy through work that is relatively cheap; it costs me 340/ month. It costs my work a similar amount (slightly more actually) 425. The total is 765x12x300,000,000 Americans=2.75T

We will be spending roughly that regardless of who administers. My argument is that the government (Medicare) has done a good job of it with 3% overhead. Private insurance takes 10% off the top and that’s only because it’s limited by Obama Care. 
Everyone gets healthcare currently, in our society. The question is: how should it be administered. Who and how should we pay. 

If you don’t have health insurance and come to the hospital, they will attend to you. They will file for emergency Medicaid and if you don’t qualify, they’ll bill you. If you don’t pay (you won’t be able to) they’ll send it to collections which WILL destroy you for 8 years or so. All for a heart attack. 
Next you might say, “yeah, but I don’t want a government board deciding what care I can get”. I’d rather have a government board deciding my fate than a ‘for profit’ corporation. A government board is essentially elected by us. 
There’ll always be anecdotal evidence regarding care but the best evaluation are metrics that can be compared. The US doesn’t fair well in these metrics. 
It’s trite but why should we be the only advanced country without single payer? We can accomplish this. I too am concerned about debt (Trump just floated a .85T stimulus plan) but we can save in other areas. I’d start with the military. But that’s a whole nuther convo 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I would rather bankrupt the country while helping the average citizen than do it while lining the pockets of billionaires.  Before the shit just hit the fan, Trump had us on course for one of the largest deficits in history while the economy was "scorching hot".  It's insane to think we were running such a massive deficit at the height of this supposed amazing economy.  Just think what will happen now as we actually enter a real recession.  Trump is a complete ****ing joke of a "businessman".  Corporate tax cuts at the height of our supposed strongest economy and still running nearly a 1 trillion dollar deficit.  The guy is the greatest conman of all time and has no clue.  

Not to mention the FED keeping the borrow rate unnaturally low- due to Trumps constant influence. We shoulda had rates near 5% and we shoulda been chipping away at the deficit. Instead, we blew it up. Ugh

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I’ll bite regarding national health care. You say 4 trillion per year but I ask how much do we already spend? I’ve got a single policy through work that is relatively cheap; it costs me 340/ month. It costs my work a similar amount (slightly more actually) 425. The total is 765x12x300,000,000 Americans=2.75T

We will be spending roughly that regardless of who administers. My argument is that the government (Medicare) has done a good job of it with 3% overhead. Private insurance takes 10% off the top and that’s only because it’s limited by Obama Care. 
Everyone gets healthcare currently, in our society. The question is: how should it be administered. Who and how should we pay. 

If you don’t have health insurance and come to the hospital, they will attend to you. They will file for emergency Medicaid and if you don’t qualify, they’ll bill you. If you don’t pay (you won’t be able to) they’ll send it to collections which WILL destroy you for 8 years or so. All for a heart attack. 
Next you might say, “yeah, but I don’t want a government board deciding what care I can get”. I’d rather have a government board deciding my fate than a ‘for profit’ corporation. A government board is essentially elected by us. 
There’ll always be anecdotal evidence regarding care but the best evaluation are metrics that can be compared. The US doesn’t fair well in these metrics. 
It’s trite but why should we be the only advanced country without single payer? We can accomplish this. I too am concerned about debt (Trump just floated a .85T stimulus plan) but we can save in other areas. I’d start with the military. But that’s a whole nuther convo 

Current Healthcare industry is $3.8T. My work for example pays up to $1200/month/employee for healthcare, considerably more than yours. My wifes is the same. I wrote $4T because you now have to add in the additional uninsured, plus with no copays you will drive up demand for drs which will drive up costs.

25 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

What we have in America is fragile, just look at whats going on currently. What you're suggesting would turn us into Valenzuela which is completely absurd. The deficit dosent matter anywhere nearly as much as the record low unemployment and the growth in wages. The reality is that as long as we remain as a superpower we can comfortably  continue on into eternity at 2-4% deficit/GDP. Remember that almost 30% of this debt is owed to ourselves in the form of social security.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

There is a problem in our healthcare system when I go to Peru and get a parasite and am in the hospital for a entire day with my own room. Had 6 IVS, including antibiotic ones. Visits every 30 mins from nurses/doctors and 3 tests done to determine what I had and all it costs was $300. That in the united states according to my friends who are in the medical field would be $8-12k. I received better treatment in a 3rd world country, then I ever received here in the States. It was an enlightening experience for me. I was sicker then I ever been. 103 fever, chills, abdominal pain, I was crawling on the floor because I didn't have enough energy to stand up.

6fNVy0h.jpg

Depends on what you have for insurance. My wife or I would have had to pay $100 outta pocket, which would have been covered by my companies FSA.

1 minute ago, Luke_Mages said:

Depends on what you have for insurance. My wife or I would have had to pay $100 outta pocket, which would have been covered by my companies FSA.

This is without insurance as I had a HSA high deductible plan. The prices in the US are mind blowing, highest in the entire world...Our healthcare system is ranked in the 30s in 1st world countries.

What happens when your work lays you off? Then what?...

• Like 1