• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

Coronavirus cases by county, NY.. Hasn't been updated yet today..

Still no confirmed cases in Oswego county, hoping to keep it that way.. Rural living has its advantages, like limited human contact lol

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/county-county-breakdown-positive-cases

Those numbers are worthless.

I work in health care.  We can't test people because we don't have availability of the testing materials.

We are flying blind.

• Like 3

Oswego county has been getting a lot of negative results so far..

OSWEGO — As of 4:30 p.m. Friday, County Health Director Jiancheng Huang reports there are no positive cases of COVID-19 coronavirus among 69 people tested. A total of 54 people are being monitored by the County Health Department.

All 69 met the Center for Disease Control’s (CDC) criteria, he said, and have been tested.

“I can only tell you, no positive results,” Mr. Huang said.

• Like 1

Per usual, Bing NWS has the least amount over the SYR area. Most models have the heaviest to our east. North, west, south, and east.....all....bloody.... "cold" season. Oh, can't forget "higher elevations" getting the snow pretty much all winter. Phtttttttttt….

I guess it was nice to see cold sunshine today.

• Haha 2

Washington, DC (CNN)The US Food and Drug Administration announced it has authorized the use of the first rapid diagnostic test that could detect the novel coronavirus in approximately 45 minutes.

The authorization was made Friday and tests will begin shipping next week, according to a statement from California-based Cepheid, the company manufacturing the tests.
"During this time of increased demand for hospital services, Clinicians urgently need an on-demand diagnostic test for real-time management of patients being evaluated for admission to health-care facilities," said Dr. David Persing, MD, Ph.D., chief medical and technology officer at Cepheid.
"An accurate test delivered close to the patient can be transformative -- and help alleviate the pressure that the emergence of the 2019-nCoV outbreak has put on healthcare facilities that need to properly allocate their respiratory isolation resources," Persing added.

2 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Looks like we may have our first confirmed case in Oswego county according to this mornings press conference..

Screenshot_20200321-155742.png.ab39e0f3a

Looks like that could of been an error..

Legislature Chairman: No positive cases of COVID-19 in Oswego County as of Saturday afternoon

42 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Looks like that could of been an error..

Legislature Chairman: No positive cases of COVID-19 in Oswego County as of Saturday afternoon

They’re numbers are definitley off. They reported 31 cases in Erie county when there is now 56 and even at the time of his press Conference, Erie County was reporting 47.... noticed this the last few days as Erie Counties numbers are always way lower on his list then what the county is reporting. 

56 is also a pretty staggering number considering how title test they’ve had and how they’ve been out for days the number is higher, the county even said we know there a lot more cases then we have confirmed due to the lack of testing and now they said they won’t have new test until Tuesday. 

• Sad 1

Not much has changed in terms of businesses closing in and around Pulaski..

All fast food and restaurants are still doing drive thru/take out..

Obviously none of the grocery/pharmacies will be closing..

My girl who is a sales manager at RAC won't be closing either as it's deemed an "essential"..

Liquor stores are also an "essential" lol So they won't be closing..

Same can be said for the 2 hardware stores in town.. Litterly almost nothing is actually closing locally..

• Like 1

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump claimed during a White House briefing on Thursday that the Food and Drug Administration had approved the "very powerful" drug chloroquine to treat coronavirus.

Chloroquine is used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.
"It's shown very encouraging -- very, very encouraging early results. And we're going to be able to make that drug available almost immediately. And that's where the FDA has been so great. They -- they've gone through the approval process; it's been approved. And they did it -- they took it down from many, many months to immediate. So we're going to be able to make that drug available by prescription or states," Trump said.
He added: "Normally the FDA would take a long time to approve something like that, and it's -- it was approved very, very quickly and it's now approved, by prescription."

Facts First: Chloroquine has not been approved by the FDA to treat the coronavirus -- and nor has any other drug, the FDA made clear in a post-briefing statement that said "there are no FDA-approved therapeutics or drugs to treat, cure or prevent COVID-19." Because chloroquine has been approved for other purposes, doctors are legally allowed to prescribe it for the unapproved or "off-label" use of treating the coronavirus if they want. But its safety and effectiveness has not been proven with regard to the coronavirus. FDA Commissioner Dr. Stephen Hahn, speaking after Trump at the briefing, said that chloroquine would be tested through a "large, pragmatic clinical trial" with coronavirus patients.
The FDA said in the statement that it is working with government and academic entities that are investigating whether chloroquine can be used "to treat patients with mild-to-moderate COVID-19 to potentially reduce the duration of symptoms, as well as viral shedding, which can help prevent the spread of disease."
Studies are underway. Hahn emphasized that this study process is necessary even though the coronavirus situation is urgent.
"We also must ensure these products are effective; otherwise we risk treating patients with a product that might not work when they could have pursued other, more appropriate, treatments," Hahn said in the statement.
Pharmaceutical company Bayer announced on Thursday that it is donating 3 million tablets of its chloroquine phosphate drug, sold under the name Resochin, to the US government.
"New data from initial preclinical and evolving clinical research conducted in China, while limited, shows potential for the use of Resochin in treating patients with COVID-19 infection," Bayer said in a statement

BGM is determined to keep this more rainy in the Syracuse area with the snow more to the East...even though several models are showing a decent hit for Northern Onondaga county.

I think they hate to call for snow in Syracuse. But, at the same this, this winter has blown chunks with almost every event.

This has been one of those winters where not having higher elevation has been torture.

• Like 1

A post from reddit from a Northeast RN. ""An experience I had with one of them has completely reshaped how my brain thinks about food and life."

I work as an RN in a rather densely populated suburban hospital in the Northeast US. A couple weeks ago, we started getting COVID-19 cases in my unit. All of these patients we considered "rule out", as in we literally didn't have the tests to swab them with so we were forced to assume they had the disease if they were showing symptoms. So far, the large majority of these patients were negative and sent home (Great News!). However, that doesn't mean we haven't had our share of positives. These patients can seem okay, but a smaller number of them can slowly deteriorate. I had experience with one of them. He was a rather healthy and active 40-ish year old male, slightly overweight, slightly hypertensive (high blood pressure). He was complaining of a little bit of sharp pain in his chest when breathing in. Otherwise, he was stable, we were just giving him a little oxygen. My next night with him, he was on a little more oxygen because his oxygen saturation started dropping, but otherwise stable. The next night, he couldn't breathe if he talked for more than a few sentences at a time (very bad sign), but again, still stable otherwise. In the back of my head I knew he going to deteriorate further and probably would need to be intubated and attached to a ventilator eventually. I gave him a breathing treatments with little effect, I increased his oxygen with little effect, but again, he was still stable. I informed the doctors of this so they were aware, but there was really nothing further we could do for him at that point as I had given him every appropriate medication and intervention. Close to the end of my shift his call light went off and I can hear him in the room absolutely gasping for air. Without even going in the room I called for a rapid response (the emergency team in the hospital). Mind you, it takes a solid 2 minutes just to get inside these rooms with all the PPE (e.g. gloves, gown, N95 mask, and face shield) we're required to wear. By the time I got in, his lips were blue, he's gasping for air, and absolutely begging to breathe normally. He was immediately intubated by the hospitalist and sent to the ICU. He's currently sedated, intubated, on a ventilator, and on a rotoprone bed (a bed that rotates you like a rotisserie chicken to move accumulated fluid in your lungs). I currently have no idea if he'll make it through this.

• Sad 2

I had a crazy realization today.  The November 11, 2019 storm ended up being my biggest storm of this whole winter season. I actually had that fear the day after it happened, realizing that it was anomalous and significant enough for that to be a possibility. Nothing like only going downhill from that day forward. 

• Like 1