Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

45 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Sometimes the strat stuff is overblown because the spv isn’t always coupled well with the tpv. And if the pv isn’t that strong then bottom up wave disruption can be good enough. But this year the spv and tpv have been as couples as I’ve ever seen and both are record strong, so it does matter. 

Yea the trop and strat coupled after mid dec when the tpv went to AK. Though, looks like they start to uncouple Atleast gfs based after the 10th

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

While my first reaction to that was a primal scream, I do wonder if the cold would be enough to setup an overrunning event or something...But, let's just see if that general look stays there or not.

IMO the last few runs of the GFS and even the GEFS show hope for us being on the right side of the boundary at least once in the next 10 days. Past that anything can happen even with Ens. Overall I'm pretty encouraged this morning. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Cool only 15 days out. Looking forward to it! 

With that sort of look on the mean, I am sure there is quite a bit of spread among the members. That might be a good thing. Better than continuing to see western trough/eastern ridge on the mean. Maybe some hints of change. Way out there ofc.

13 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

I think you’re a fraud. You’re literally expecting a computer to model a chaotic global atmosphere perfectly. Can you just stop, Jesus. If you don’t want to discuss long range weather and the models, then don’t come on the forum. Some of the best snowstorms were sniffed out more than 5 days out.

Yep, 90% of the ensemble members gave us 1.00" liquid as snow 5 days in advance of the the FEB 5, 2010 BLIZZARD.   Also, the models keep improving.  A 60-84 hour forecast of 0.50" precipitation amounts are now better than 12-36 hour(day 1 forecast) from the 1990s.   You're right about chaos,  makes forecasting tough but also suggests some patterns are more predictable than others. 

Improvement.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

With that sort of look on the mean, I am sure there is quite a bit of spread among the members. That might be a good thing. Better than continuing to see western trough/eastern ridge on the mean. Maybe some hints of change. Way out there ofc.

I'm going to go out on a limb even though I know we can back into some fluke events in March and even early April....but I am guessing this period you are mentioning will be our last legit window for the season. It is refreshing to see some hints at regime change. But unless we get these looks under 7 days this year, it is all mere fantasy.  Fingers crossed.

34 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I'm going to go out on a limb even though I know we can back into some fluke events in March and even early April....but I am guessing this period you are mentioning will be our last legit window for the season. It is refreshing to see some hints at regime change. But unless we get these looks under 7 days this year, it is all mere fantasy.  Fingers crossed.

Early April isn’t an event. It’s a nuisance.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Gfs with a different look at h5 past day 5 . Doesn't have the big sw dump of energy.  That would certainly help our chances. 

Edit...just saw the 6z run . Similar not dumping into the sw 

next week somehow has snuck up on us as our best week of the season to see a winter storm

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Ji said:

next week somehow has snuck up on us as our best week of the season to see a winter storm

Not really ^_^ .Have said for days that this period looks interesting. We just need that boundary in they right place. It would help my confidence if the Euro didn’t look like mid May.

23 minutes ago, UniversesBelowNormal said:

You got to worry about these over-extended -PNA Winter's... 

(I said once that 90% of the world population doesn't see snow)

LOL. Maybe brush up on geography? The vast majority of land on this planet is outside of 30 degree from the equator. People in almost all of those areas are at some point going to see snow.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic