Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

25 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Having a kid has done a number on my handicap (only 4 rounds so far this year) but every once and a while it still comes together for me. Played with Ekster last week and split the fairway in half on 1 about 280. Had about 120 in and parked it to 1 foot. 

Probably should've just walked back to the parking lot though.

Yeah I’ve played about 2 times per year since I had my first kid. Second one was born last year and only got 1 round in. 

To be fair, I wasn’t playing much even before that from my peak days 15-20 years ago. I was maybe getting out 3-5 times per year...except 2014 and 2015 I managed to get out a little more and my game was coming back at that point. Had several rounds in the 80-82 range. Then the first one was born in 2016....

Suffice to say, my days of a 6 handicap aren’t coming back any time soon. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I’ve played about 2 times per year since I had my first kid. Second one was born last year and only got 1 round in. 

To be fair, I wasn’t playing much even before that from my peak days 15-20 years ago. I was maybe getting out 3-5 times per year...except 2014 and 2015 I managed to get out a little more and my game was coming back at that point. Had several rounds in the 80-82 range. Then the first one was born in 2016....

Suffice to say, my days of a 6 handicap aren’t coming back any time soon. 

When you play every week it's pretty amazing how it all comes together quickly. But there are still flashes, as long as I can hang onto those I'm happy. I've gone 50/41 and 42/46 in my most recent rounds. Chuck the 50 and I'm content.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

When you play every week it's pretty amazing how it all comes together quickly. But there are still flashes, as long as I can hang onto those I'm happy. I've gone 50/41 and 42/46 in my most recent rounds. Chuck the 50 and I'm content.

Chris, my official peak I think was junior year. August/September 2001. Jeff Smith and I played like 3-4 times per week at Robert Trent Jones golf course...started before classes began in August and then we played into September before the weather turned uglier. 

For some reason, it just all came together in a 4-5 round period (that can happen when you’re playing so much). Smith was like, “dude you need to go out for the Cornell team again...”. 

You know that course isn’t easy...esp from the blues which we played all the time. I did this in a 4 round stretch....79-76-77-76. And I think each round adjacent to those 4 was like an 80 or 81. I couldn’t miss. The first 76 happened kind of by accident...I had played fairly well on the front but nothing crazy...shot 41. Then on the back like 5-6 holes in, he goes “dude you’re 1 under on the back”. Ended up parring in from that point for a 41-35. 

I’ll prob never reach that peak again. All downhill after age 20. 

45 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Chris, my official peak I think was junior year. August/September 2001. Jeff Smith and I played like 3-4 times per week at Robert Trent Jones golf course...started before classes began in August and then we played into September before the weather turned uglier. 

For some reason, it just all came together in a 4-5 round period (that can happen when you’re playing so much). Smith was like, “dude you need to go out for the Cornell team again...”. 

You know that course isn’t easy...esp from the blues which we played all the time. I did this in a 4 round stretch....79-76-77-76. And I think each round adjacent to those 4 was like an 80 or 81. I couldn’t miss. The first 76 happened kind of by accident...I had played fairly well on the front but nothing crazy...shot 41. Then on the back like 5-6 holes in, he goes “dude you’re 1 under on the back”. Ended up parring in from that point for a 41-35. 

I’ll prob never reach that peak again. All downhill after age 20. 

It's a crime I have only played that course once, but I also didn't start playing seriously until 2008. Shot my first round in the 80s in 2012, and first 79 in 2016. 2017 I knew we were going to try to have a kid so it was a grind to get the index below 10. Shot my best 9 (36, +1) and had a couple 78s and managed to sneak it down to 9.7 by the end of the year. I was probably a small adjustment away on my approach shots from being really good, but the season ended and the rest is history.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's a crime I have only played that course once, but I also didn't start playing seriously until 2008. Shot my first round in the 80s in 2012, and first 79 in 2016. 2017 I knew we were going to try to have a kid so it was a grind to get the index below 10. Shot my best 9 (36, +1) and had a couple 78s and managed to sneak it down to 9.7 by the end of the year. I was probably a small adjustment away on my approach shots from being really good, but the season ended and the rest is history.

Yeah that course had like a 73.5 rating or something back then. It was frickin’ hard. I assume it’s still similar as it would be foolish to alter a RTJ course very much. 

Those rounds I had there were just a combo of playing almost every day and running into some flukes as well. I remember on one of the 76 rounds I holed out a bunker shot that was easily going to roll off the the green to the other bunker but it hit the pin and went in. That kind of stuff happens when you are going good. 

And RE: your game....sounds like you were pretty close to getting into that 6-7 handicap zone where I peaked back in by age 18-20 years. Almost all the difference is the play inside of 100 yards at that point. The pitching game and scrambling around the green is probably where almost all my improvement came from going from scores in the 82-85 range down to 76-80 range. 

Theres some smaller improvement in the irons and such, but so much of the scoring came from consistently getting up and down around the greens and giving yourself legit makable putts from 50-100 yards out....frequently your birdies on short par 4s and par 5s.  

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that course had like a 73.5 rating or something back then. It was frickin’ hard. I assume it’s still similar as it would be foolish to alter a RTJ course very much. 

Those rounds I had there were just a combo of playing almost every day and running into some flukes as well. I remember on one of the 76 rounds I holed out a bunker shot that was easily going to roll off the the green to the other bunker but it hit the pin and went in. That kind of stuff happens when you are going good. 

And RE: your game....sounds like you were pretty close to getting into that 6-7 handicap zone where I peaked back in by age 18-20 years. Almost all the difference is the play inside of 100 yards at that point. The pitching game and scrambling around the green is probably where almost all my improvement came from going from scores in the 82-85 range down to 76-80 range. 

Theres some smaller improvement in the irons and such, but so much of the scoring came from consistently getting up and down around the greens and giving yourself legit makable putts from 50-100 yards out....frequently your birdies on short par 4s and par 5s.  

Honestly the iron game just wasn't that strong. Straight but often short, right, or left. Chip and a putt later and I walked away with par or bogey. If I was consistently hitting GIR I would've easily been living in the mid to high 70s because I had a strong putter. 

Now we birdie and then give it away with doubles and triples. :lol:

17 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Honestly the iron game just wasn't that strong. Straight but often short, right, or left. Chip and a putt later and I walked away with par or bogey. If I was consistently hitting GIR I would've easily been living in the mid to high 70s because I had a strong putter. 

Now we birdie and then give it away with doubles and triples. :lol:

Yeah GIR is tough to achieve on a very consistent basis. Even in my really good rounds, I’d prob get like 11 or 12 out of 18...unless I was playing a cow pasture with a 68 rating. 

The pitching game and scrambling was the easiest way to take several strokes off my game and then on those days where I was feeling it with my driver/irons, I could score really low.

If you can get some consistent coaching/lessons, then you can probably get the iron game to a very high/consistent level where your “floor” is like 80-82...but most people don’t have that kind of financial/time commitment combo available to them. Golf is a tough game, lol. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah GIR is tough to achieve on a very consistent basis. Even in my really good rounds, I’d prob get like 11 or 12 out of 18...unless I was playing a cow pasture with a 68 rating. 

The pitching game and scrambling was the easiest way to take several strokes off my game and then on those days where I was feeling it with my driver/irons, I could score really low.

If you can get some consistent coaching/lessons, then you can probably get the iron game to a very high/consistent level where your “floor” is like 80-82...but most people don’t have that kind of financial/time commitment combo available to them. Golf is a tough game, lol. 

I think I could convince my wife to get a family membership at a place like Falmouth (ME) because they have tennis and a pool. Great for kids!

I'd say I'm 75% of the way to convince her already.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm really shaky. I'm struggling with partial shots. 95% of the time I'm long. Long is never a good place to  be.

Yeah usually when I miss it’s long... it’s tough trying to control the club speed.

The hardest shot in golf might be the ball that is in the rough that is 3-4 feet off the green. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve hit it like 2 feet and other times I hit it way over. So hard to hit it that delicately at that short a distance 

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah usually when I miss it’s long... it’s tough trying to control the club speed.

The hardest shot in golf might be the ball that is in the rough that is 3-4 feet off the green. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve hit it like 2 feet and other times I hit it way over. So hard to hit it that delicately at that short a distance 

I've taken to lining those up like a putt with my PW/52 (if it's a real tight pin maybe the 56 or 60) and getting the heel off the ground. So I just stroke it like I would a putt for distance and it pops out really consistent. I change the club based on the distance to the pin. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 10:38 PM, mreaves said:

Haven’t seen it yet but DeChambeau’s blow up 10 let Tiger make the cut. Roid rage?

That was an epic meltdown and then he gets two back on 17 and 18, I think, to get to +4. A 9 on 15 would of been enough. I wouldn’t bet against him next week at the 3M, in a weaker field, if he plays. I’m not a fan of his but I like to see how he’ll respond.

9 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I've taken to lining those up like a putt with my PW/52 (if it's a real tight pin maybe the 56 or 60) and getting the heel off the ground. So I just stroke it like I would a putt for distance and it pops out really consistent. I change the club based on the distance to the pin. 

Yup. Heel off! Almost feel like you’re doing a Bryson. 

Interesting is they changed GHIN calculation this year to top 8 scores, vice 10. They have also done some stuff to factor weather conditions when you played (I.e. wind, cold rain, etc) . Also updating immediately. Top 8 means in most cases indices are lower now.

2 hours ago, S&P said:

Interesting is they changed GHIN calculation this year to top 8 scores, vice 10. They have also done some stuff to factor weather conditions when you played (I.e. wind, cold rain, etc) . Also updating immediately. Top 8 means in most cases indices are lower now.

I’ve had a rough season and had quite a few scores I needed to post. I didn’t realize they had changed to immediate updates, plugged them and bam! My handicap jumped 3.5 strokes!  It really pointed out how bad I have been playing and it hasn’t been just one issue. Thin shots, fat shots, slices, hooks you name it I’ve struggled with it. I’m going to break down and take some lessons with our new pro or give up the game. One of the other because I can’t keep torturing myself. 

2 hours ago, S&P said:

Time to go back and recalculate what I could've been. :lol:

Edit: Looks like I was TOO consistent. New method only drops my best run to 9.5. ;)

14 hours ago, mreaves said:

I’ve had a rough season and had quite a few scores I needed to post. I didn’t realize they had changed to immediate updates, plugged them and bam! My handicap jumped 3.5 strokes!  It really pointed out how bad I have been playing and it hasn’t been just one issue. Thin shots, fat shots, slices, hooks you name it I’ve struggled with it. I’m going to break down and take some lessons with our new pro or give up the game. One of the other because I can’t keep torturing myself. 

There’s only one choice to make.

What's everyone's favorite weather to golf in?  I think mine is 60-65 F, overcast and a light mist.  You might think me crazy, but I enjoy it for the combination of comfort (not too hot or cold and really not wet) and open golf course.  If you find a course where the greens fees are good for the day you can get 36 or 54 in on these type of days. I love it.

8 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

What's everyone's favorite weather to golf in?  I think mine is 60-65 F, overcast and a light mist.  You might think me crazy, but I enjoy it for the combination of comfort (not too hot or cold and really not wet) and open golf course.  If you find a course where the greens fees are good for the day you can get 36 or 54 in on these type of days. I love it.

I want it a touch warmer. Around 70 and overcast is my favorite. Makes tracking the ball very easy and sometimes the overcast scares the crowds off (like your misty weather)

Don’t want it wet to screw up my grip or have the water hydroplaning the ball across the club face. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

A day just like today. HHH. 

• Weenie 2

11 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

70/50 with a light breeze.

13 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Fall golf is the best,  thing like teeing off at 18 and the sun is setting, Go in for a beer and  bite.

• Like 2

Just got back from Juniper Hills. Played the Riverside course and shot 39-45 for an 84. 

First round since 7/22 last year. So almost exactly a year to the day. Can’t complain. Played surprisingly well except one terrible stretch on 10-11-12 where I went double-bogey-double. That pretty much sunk me on the back but I finished par-par at least including sticking a 5 iron to 10 feet on 17 (long par 3)...missed the damn putt though by burning the edge. Thought I had it. 

Anyways, it was great just to be out again. 

• Like 1