• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

played  green valley from the tips In Portsmouth , Struggled off the tee early , two balls OB on 1st three holes, and another OB on 14, but I am Working on the driver, hit it better after initial struggles didn’t score well with a few big numbers, 44/44

1 hour ago, S&P said:

played  green valley from the tips In Portsmouth , Struggled off the tee early , two balls OB on 1st three holes, and another OB on 14, but I am Working on the driver, hit it better after initial struggles didn’t score well with a few big numbers, 44/44

I always seem to struggle at that course. I used always park my first tee shot into the backyards right, but now my hook really gets me into trouble all over the place. I think last time I played there I couldn't hold the greens. If you hit the middle it would roll off every time.

2 hours ago, S&P said:

Yeah I wouldn’t think you should be play anything but a stiff shaft, you can also adjust for shaft weight , helps with swing speed and feel the weight  of the head.

I bought stiff Titliest woods a few years back but couldn’t hit them so I threw them aside and basically forgot about them. After your advice yesterday, I figure’d I give them a try for the rest of the season, starting today, before getting fitted and felt the difference right away. It’s not magic but it certainly helps. 

Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/26/2020 at 10:48 PM, OceanStWx said:

I always seem to struggle at that course. I used always park my first tee shot into the backyards right, but now my hook really gets me into trouble all over the place. I think last time I played there I couldn't hold the greens. If you hit the middle it would roll off every time.

Both my son and I were in those yards off the 1st tee, he said to me why would anyone live there. Can’t ever sit in your backyard in the summer

More progress tonight after last week’s lesson. Shot a 43 with a disastrous 7 on a par 3. I feel like I am starting hit the ball more consistently. Posture, ball position and shoulder turn have been what I have been keying on. It’s only been a week and 36 holes of actual play so I know I still have a lot to work on but it feels like I’m on the road to real improvement. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

More progress tonight after last week’s lesson. Shot a 43 with a disastrous 7 on a par 3. I feel like I am starting hit the ball more consistently. Posture, ball position and shoulder turn have been what I have been keying on. It’s only been a week and 36 holes of actual play so I know I still have a lot to work on but it feels like I’m on the road to real improvement. 

Nice dude. Great to hear. The game is fun when we turn the corner and start striking it more consistently. Of course at our level, we will have blown ups and frustrating holes or rounds...but when we find something that helps us improve, it’s refreshing. 

10 hours ago, mreaves said:

Both my son and I were in those yards off the 1st tee, he said to me why would anyone live there. Can’t ever sit in your backyard in the summer

I used to play Pine Ridge in Oxford, there's condo's right on the course, I've hit those condos more than once, I hit one on to a deck and it bounced around like a pinball off his deck and house, the old man came out of the condo holding the golf ball and gave me a death stare. You buy a house on a golf course you have to expect to get a stray ball now and then.

• Haha 1

OSome of the courses you play in Florida are unbelievable with houses right off the fairway. I pull hooked a ball and broke a window one time, the person came out and tried to get me to pay for a replacement. I had to laugh... felt bad though I ripped that sucker good

• Like 1

Played in a pro-am at the Country Club of Vermont today. Beautiful course with great views. Played ok in spurts. The greens were fast and very hilly. The wind was pretty strong too.  The picture below usually has a great view of Camel’s Hump but the clouds and mist were starting roll through. 

791C165C-47B5-472B-8AE4-6D2A0C2EB96C.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

For the PGA followers...The WGC St Jude was very entertaining and this weekend’s PGA Championship sets up to be a great test. Thick rough and tight fast fairways. Greens shouldn’t be too nasty so accurate OTT (not me) and good long iron players should rise to the top. 

I listened to some of it on SiriusXM and watched the last few holes up until Koepka put it in the water on 17 or 18. I wish I had seen Thomas hit bridge and make it over. 

4 hours ago, mreaves said:

I listened to some of it on SiriusXM and watched the last few holes up until Koepka put it in the water on 17 or 18. I wish I had seen Thomas hit bridge and make it over. 

Brooks went all out on 18 (after birdieing 17 to cut it to 1), had to make birdie to force playoff, while JT was on the 18th green...and didnt have enough Bryson in him to cut the corner and get it over the pond. 18 was playing as the toughest or 2nd toughest hole so without a bomb drive, hard to make 3 there. JT did approach it way over the green on 18 but made a nasty pitch within 2ft. 

Expecting a great PGA. Course is setting up to be a tough but fair test. Hit fairways and greens...and you’ll be fine. Easier said then done when the fairways are pinched in with heavy rough. Conditions in the San Fran marine air won’t help either. Long accurate drivers and good long iron players should do well. I’m pumped for the 4 days.

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Expecting a great PGA. Course is setting up to be a tough but fair test. Hit fairways and greens...and you’ll be fine. Easier said then done when the fairways are pinched in with heavy rough. Conditions in the San Fran marine air won’t help either. Long accurate drivers and good long iron players should do well. I’m pumped for the 4 days.

My club championship this weekend.  Going to throw in (away?) my $25 and give it a whirl.  Since the PGA is on the west coast, I'll still be able to watch.  Honestly, I don't mind watching golf without spectators.  I really don't miss "In the hole!" after every tee shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to the PGA, tight fairways, will be interesting to see if Bryson’s bomb it regardless will pay off. Koepka will be there, he always is. Should be fun to watch championship anything.

gotta hand it to the PGA, they have handled Covid well with the logistics challenges of moving your whole setup every week. Good on the players for staying clean, even when it looked dicey in the beginning with some guys getting it. Don’t think there has been a case in a month. If golf can do it, you hope football can as well.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

You know what I miss......the ability to go to the local putting green to putt/chip for a couple hours. I used to drive over to Green Meadow in Hudson, NH, grab a double jack and coke and putt/chip for a couple hours in the evening. Was a great way to unwind and practice.

You don’t have one close to you anymore?

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I was wondering the same thing.  Not that I ever practice but as long as you observe social distancing etc. you can go chip and putt around.

I hit my local GolfQuest range several times a week. It has a pretty crappy chip/putt/bunker practice facility but I still spend 30min after my range session 

3 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

You know what I miss......the ability to go to the local putting green to putt/chip for a couple hours. I used to drive over to Green Meadow in Hudson, NH, grab a double jack and coke and putt/chip for a couple hours in the evening. Was a great way to unwind and practice.

Amen to that.

+1 it is. Seems like you can score in the mornings but as the day progresses, the wind picks up and the greens firm up a bit. It’s just enough to crunch the field. Take Li out (who couldn’t hit a GIR today so he’ll fall back) and everyone is within 7 shots. I mean, literally...anyone who made the cut has a chance. If you shoot a 64 in the morning tomorrow, you’re in play for Sunday. 

Great PGA championship imo.

Shot an uneven 85 in the first round of my club championship today. 48 on the front and 37 on the back. I really only had 3 or 4 bad swings on the front that put me in trouble that I struggled recovering from and I missed a couple of putts between 3 and 5 feet. Overall I didn’t feel I hit the ball terribly. The back 9 things really started clicking. I started hitting the ball better and started making some putts. I parred the first 5 holes on the back and was maybe 2 feet of missed putts away from being 3 under. I went into this tournament with no expectations, just hoping to see some progress. Needless to say, I was happy to put things together for at least 9 holes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Went to joe and Leigh’s golf shop in Easton today and picked up a 3 wood and another pitching wedge (I left my wedge on a course a few weeks ago)

Went right past there yesterday played at Easton for the first time. Not a bad course in an old-timey sort of way.