Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2020 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

1 hour ago, GCWarrior said:

Played Maplegate(Bellingham) and Poquay Brook(Lakeville) the last couple weekends.  Both were pretty good, Maplegate greens were lightning fast.  

Anyone here played Heritage country club in Carlton, MA?  I've been doing some big drives to play with college friends it's a bit closer than the other two we played. 

Does poqouy have gps carts? I’ve heard rumors they do.

46 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

GPS carts are cool, to a point. I was playing in a tournament once and we were waiting for the group ahead of us and the pro shop sent us a message telling us we were behind and would have to skip a home if we didn’t catch up.  We were already waiting on every hole.  I have a golf gps watch now so I don’t need the gps info, of course I almost exclusively walk anyway. They are nice for courses though because they can restrict where carts are allowed to go and even put speed limits in certain areas. 

12 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We walked.  People ahead(super slow) and behind had carts.  We ended up waiting a fair amount.  It seems every dude in their 20's and 30's has taken up playing golf because the bars are closed.  Some of these guys should not be playing golf.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

We walked.  People ahead(super slow) and behind had carts.  We ended up waiting a fair amount.  It seems every dude in their 20's and 30's has taken up playing golf because the bars are closed.  Some of these guys should not be playing golf.  

I’m not very good, but we at least keep it moving. There really isn’t an excuse even if your bad.

We got stuck a few groups behind a group of four guys with carts who were the slowest golfers I’ve ever seen at olde Scotland last Saturday. Took us over 5 hours to play the round. It got so backed up on the par 5 18 there were 3 groups playing the hole at a time.

13 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m not very good, but we at least keep it moving. There really isn’t an excuse even if your bad.

We got stuck a few groups behind a group of four guys with carts who were the slowest golfers I’ve ever seen at olde Scotland last Saturday. Took us over 5 hours to play the round. It got so backed up on the par 5 18 there were 3 groups playing the hole at a time.

Old Scotland links in Bridgwater

I went our w my Gf and her son and the first hole was frightening even with 2 carts . So I suggested we switch to best ball and that did the job.

• Like 1

Nice playing gents. There’s been great weather for it but I’ve been caught between outdoor projects and work. 

I did play last Thur at Wintonbuy Hills. Love the layout and played solo off an 11am tee time. So I Played two balls but only kept score on my 1st. Struggled to find my swing on the front but found it on the back. 47/40. 

Will probably play it again next week. 

Enjoy the PGA this weekend. A much needed return. 

On 6/9/2020 at 12:47 PM, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Old Scotland links in Bridgwater

I went our w my Gf and her son and the first hole was frightening even with 2 carts . So I suggested we switch to best ball and that did the job.

You can hit it way left and as far you want straight. Not too bad.  Just can't go right (which of course is most right handed players problem).

2 hours ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I'm struggling with a duck hook off the tee. Can't seem to fix it. Read some articles online that gave me hope. 

Finished second round of the year at Sagamore in Hampton NH. Great course. Great conditions. Shot a 95 without using the driver much. 

Duck hooks are usually the result of being too ‘handsy’. Work on getting your weight shifted to the front side and let the hands follow/trail. The body will take care of the hands. 

36 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Duck hooks are usually the result of being too ‘handsy’. Work on getting your weight shifted to the front side and let the hands follow/trail. The body will take care of the hands. 

My drives are getting better... I’m usually making solid contact... but some of them tail off so bad to the right. A few at the range the other night swung literally left to right across the entire range. (I’m right handed)

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My drives are getting better... I’m usually making solid contact... but some of them tail off so bad to the right. A few at the range the other night swung literally left to right across the entire range. (I’m right handed)

Subscribe to this guys channel. A lot of good stuff. Here’s a driving video to stop slicing:

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

This sounds counter intuitive, but aim right of your target.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

41/41 at Wintonbury Hilllls. Struggled off the tee a bit again. If I can fix that, I’ll start breaking 80 this season.

I shot a 43 last night.  Drove the ball decently but my putting was pitiful.  2 three putts.  18 total putts for 9 holes and that was only because I chipped in on the 7th hole. 

26 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Playing acushnet River valley on Friday. 40 with a cart for 18

That is a good deal.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s a good deal. Enjoy your round. Paid 50 today to walk.. but I always like to walk it.

I prefer to walk and haven't taken a cart once this year.  The caveat is that I don't mind taking a cart if I am playing an unfamiliar course.  It allows you to check out the lay of the land and get a better understanding of where you can miss safely.

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s a good deal. Enjoy your round. Paid 50 today to walk.. but I always like to walk it.

I don’t mind walking... we’ve only had a cart once this year and we’ve been probably close to 2 dozen times.

Friday looks warm though and it is actually more to walk at this course believe it or not... don’t know what the deal is there.

We paid $60 bucks to walk at olde Scotland links a few weeks ago and my buddy had a complete meltdown so he said he’s never paying that much to walk a course again lol

On 6/15/2020 at 4:25 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

What are some good drives for folks here distance wise? I connected on a few good ones the other night that dribbled past 275... probably like 285-290.

I've been tracking that for a bunch of years now, I've been pretty consistently averaging about 240 carry. Depending on how damp the course is anywhere from 250-270 on the roll out. The good swings can get me 270 carry and near 300 on the roll out. I would really like to figure out how to do that consistently, because the game does get easier. ;)

On 6/15/2020 at 4:25 PM, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

What are some good drives for folks here distance wise? I connected on a few good ones the other night that dribbled past 275... probably like 285-290.

I can carry 300 on my best ...this is Almost exclusive to driving range where I really get a good hip rotation and accelerate my hips thru ball. My friend took a cool slow mo vid of my swing on one of those drives and I was somewhat lucky it went straight.

I also love to do the sort of of one step Happy Gilmore / David Ortiz like Home run swing at the range , it’s just fun lol

DD891DC5-DEF2-44B3-84D2-A919193897F3.png