Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Nws extended summarizes the winter: 40s, chance of rain/snow showers

The ceiling grade for this winter is now a C-. That's the upside potential with a big turnaround in
February and March that we don't even see on the horizon.

The current grade is D.

F is not out of the question.

If this winter was a kid taking my class I'd advise them to withdraw or audit the class, because the likelihood of an F is extremely high.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Nws extended summarizes the winter: 40s, chance of rain/snow showers

The extended forecast all hinges on next week's system..

6z Gfs for example has 20s for high because the system goes south of us. 

The European tries lol Would be like upper 30s/low40s..

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus (69).png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_29 (1).png

Just now, wolfie09 said:

The extended forecast all hinges on next week's system..

6z Gfs for example has 20s for high because the system goes south of us. 

The European tries lol Would be like upper 30s/low40s..

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus (69).png

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_29 (1).png

I think the GFS is on to something...it has been advertising on the ensembles the PV over Hudson Bay arou ND that timeframe. IF that is right then the storm track will be shunted south as the GFS is suggesting.

36 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks. You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get *NOTHING*! You lose!

You're a crook! A thief and a swindler! How could you do this to all of us weenies all winter long!!!

7 minutes ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

But Daddy I don’t want to wait until February for the polar vortex!  I want it now!

Ok Wonka.  How much for one of those lake effect storms?

Oh... There not for sale...

ACD5E503-79E8-4B1A-A060-D188B2A41AF5.png

Until this year I didn't realize we need the polar vortex to split to get any lake effect snow. Or is this year just an anomaly of the "one eyed pig" in Alaska similar to 2011-12?

In a normal winter I feel like we should get cold enough to get lake effect snow without help from the PV. But this year that has been impossible. Worst lake effect year of all time including 2011-2012 and long range doesn't show enough cold air in the next 2 weeks for anything either.

2011-2012 had 8 LES events. I think we are at 2 this year?

1997-98 had 4 LES events, that is the least since 1994.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=1997-1998&event=D

Just a couple ops runs...but I'm liking the look of the ridge poking up to Alaska around the end of next week on the Canadian and GFS. Now THAT would be a pattern change...all these other modeled snow threats and shifts to cold IMO have been doomed as long as the polar vortex has been raging between Alaska and Greenland.  If that modeled ridging holds into early  next week, I'm keeping my snowshoes in my truck.  If not, they're getting tossed into the balmy waters of Lake Erie and replaced with my golf clubs.  

• Haha 1

Well the GFS held serve on the overunning/open wave storm next Wednesday, but to be honest, being in the sweet spot 7 days out is the worst case scenario.  Nothing ever holds that long.  I've given up on getting a storm for my trip, now I just want it to stay below freezing/no rain.  I can deal with the lack of real snow.  Just let me have some normal relatively ice free groomers.    

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Well the GFS held serve on the overunning/open wave storm next Wednesday, but to be honest, being in the sweet spot 7 days out is the worst case scenario.  Nothing ever holds that long.  I've given up on getting a storm for my trip, now I just want it to stay below freezing/no rain.  I can deal with the lack of real snow.  Just let me have some normal relatively ice free groomers.    

Euro looks to be a hit too next week.

30 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

Yep which puts that pic above in serious peril

It's hard to tell but the warm-up is ahead of a CF, u can see the temps crashing on the backside right as precip is moving in..But the euro warms us up again after several inches of snow as the surface low cuts to far west..