• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid January/Mid February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

You trying to convince me?  I was the one who “cancelled” winter a month ago remember?  
That look opens the door to possibilities but we would  need help. It could work with a string of waves or timing. Anything spaced that ams will cut. 
You didn't really cancel winter. You were excited somewhat at some of these long range looks
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

So like...is everybody just completely baffled about this NAO no longer being negative in the winter? Has anybody offered any actual explanation?

And agreed...we may have to get something in a tiny passing window. (To me, next weekend would be the chance for that...at least we got a LITTLE more cold air to  work with...)

It’s not that unusual.  Look at the 1980s.  

C6AFE49D-0FE6-4B4A-9260-F039E5E3BD9E.gif

• Thanks 1

You trying to convince me?  I was the one who “cancelled” winter a month ago remember?  
That look opens the door to possibilities but we would  need help. It could work with a string of waves or timing. Anything spaced that ams will cut. 
I'm going to nemacolin next Sunday night. I'm hoping I can see at least a wintry mix of rain and sleet
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ji said:

I'm going to nemacolin next Sunday night. I'm hoping I can see at least a wintry mix of rain and sleet emoji12.png

You can’t. The only thing mixed you will experience is a drink from the bar. Sorry but you cancelled winter long ago and someone paid attention. Thanks a pant load. 

1 minute ago, Ji said:
3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You didn't really cancel winter. You were excited somewhat at some of these long range looks

I was hopeful...but always skeptical. I want it to snow. And I’m also mindful of not flooding the thread with doom and gloom. I made those very detailed posts with data and statistics to support them and that was my peace. Im not going to hammer it home every 12 hours.  But I put a lot of research into those posts I made a month ago now.  I didn’t just wake up feeling Scroogey and throw that out for giggles.  And all the history said this pattern just flat out sucks and most of the time when we entered a January with strong central pacific ridging and a strongly positive EPO/AO/NAO it was lights out on hopes of a good winter.  And the only exceptions (and there weren’t many) were years where the NAO flipped strongly negative but that happened by late January in every case.  So that ship has sailed.  

But flukes happen.  Im not saying it won’t snow at all. I’m never as confident it will snow in a good look or sure it won’t in a bad. Too much weird stuff has happened in the past to ever rule it out. So I’m hopeful. I’m rooting for the fluke.  But the history of such situations were in now says our best chance of that fluke (if it happens at all) is in very late February or March.  

ETA:  on the hope springs eternal side, I think 1948 was an example of a similar year to this where our area lucked into a pretty good (3-6”) snowstorm in February from what was a pretty meh pattern surrounded by a god awful pattern. It was one of tye ugliest looking h5 patterns of all the snowstorms I examined for the snow climo study. 

5 minutes ago, Ji said:

I'm going to nemacolin next Sunday night. I'm hoping I can see at least a wintry mix of rain and sleet emoji12.png

I am starting to turn more of my attention to looking at west to plan my ski trip. I settled on Aspen for a long weekend but have to decide about a week out (before flights book up and get pricey) when I think the snow looks good. I’m quickly becoming more interested in that then our snow prospects. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

We need that Nov pattern now. Figures the most favorable pattern we have seen would occur when snow climo completely sucks lol.

Wasn’t a fluke. The forecasts that relied on sst heavily had optimism. So did the sst based guidance. In November and early Dec before the jet strengthens those factors could dominate. We had the epo ridge we expected with the north pac sst. But the seasonal guidance was correctly picking up on an unfavorable walker cell structure to disrupt the pv and a raging +AO and they were right. As soon as the PV went crazy late Dec it was game over.  The reason we could have a chance again in March is the same reason we did I’m early season. As the jet weakens again maybe the PV grip releases. I’m skeptical but maybe. 

• Like 4

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Wasn’t a fluke. The forecasts that relied on sst heavily had optimism. So did the sst based guidance. In November and early Dec before the jet strengthens those factors could dominate. We had the epo ridge we expected with the north pac sst. But the seasonal guidance was correctly picking up on an unfavorable walker cell structure to disrupt the pv and a raging +AO and they were right. As soon as the PV went crazy late Dec it was game over.  The reason we could have a chance again in March is the same reason we did I’m early season. As the jet weakens again maybe the PV grip releases. I’m skeptical but maybe. 

Oh that dang Walker cell structure...I don't fully understand what it is, but...didn't something about that screw us over last winter too?

9 minutes ago, Ji said:

Oh man...gfs looks like a cousin of pd2 lol

I’m sure a 36 hour snowstorm from a string of progressive waves with no blocking will play out exactly like that from day 13!  I’m getting provisions ready!

Btw we should do this bizarro reverso thing more often. Being you is fun. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, Ji said:

Oh man...gfs looks like a cousin of pd2 lol

Ok so if we actually get this ridiculous epo block and the AO flips to neutral like this...

13082E69-1974-4224-AD7A-89BE4397733C.thumb.png.331ac2a7ef5410944bc30a02e765f757.png

then yea that storm is totally realistic. But count me skeptical that flip up top is real. But there is always a chance. 

And if so it better freaking snow because it leads to this...

026749A9-2E99-4B82-B2FC-9B4E7EF3CDE6.thumb.png.50cf5d6064cfe92ae9f9d5ec24fb6e2b.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Ok so if we actually get this ridiculous epo block and the AO flips to neutral like this...

13082E69-1974-4224-AD7A-89BE4397733C.thumb.png.331ac2a7ef5410944bc30a02e765f757.png

then yea that storm is totally realistic. But count me skeptical that flip up top is real. But there is always a chance. 

And if so it better freaking snow because it leads to this...

026749A9-2E99-4B82-B2FC-9B4E7EF3CDE6.thumb.png.50cf5d6064cfe92ae9f9d5ec24fb6e2b.png

Nice. Just in time for the 5 year anniversary of the famed arctic front and snow squall.

I’m sure a 36 hour snowstorm from a string of progressive waves with no blocking will play out exactly like that from day 13!  I’m getting provisions ready!
Btw we should do this bizarro reverso thing more often. Being you is fun. 
Well unfortunately I'm too much of a dumb shit to be you...so I guess we can both be me!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

But count me skeptical that flip up top is real. But there is always a chance. 

I mean there is some data that points to a temporary weakening of the vortex, add whatever lag effect there is and you get to the date in question. Still hard to believe, but like you said, there is a chance.  

15 minutes ago, frd said:

I mean there is some data that points to a temporary weakening of the vortex, add whatever lag effect there is and you get to the date in question. Still hard to believe, but like you said, there is a chance.  

There is a chance that it’s mathematically possible that it could happen.  

• Haha 1