• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowIsMyName
    Newest Member
    SnowIsMyName

2020 Mid-Atlantic Garden, Lawn, Etc. Thread

Garlic shoots have started sprouting in force in the last week. With temps in the 70s yesterday and mild overnight temps the last two nights, they’ve now taken off. Good thing they’re hearty and will withstand the upcoming blizzards.

I’ll have to post picture of the forsythia at L’Enfant - plenty of yellow on them. Likely that the first daffodil shoots in the neighborhood have started coming up, too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

Garlic shoots have started sprouting in force in the last week. With temps in the 70s yesterday and mild overnight temps the last two nights, they’ve now taken off. Good thing they’re hearty and will withstand the upcoming blizzards.

I’ll have to post picture of the forsythia at L’Enfant - plenty of yellow on them. Likely that the first daffodil shoots in the neighborhood have started coming up, too.

:banned:

13 hours ago, yoda said:

Are we back in Roman times?  202 A.D.?  Sorry, had to lol

Must be a DC-specific thread. 

Visited friends in West Springfield yesterday with a full bloom of early hellebores.

Here, 10 mi south of National Airport, my hellebores come out in March. Now I have some shoots of something (Paperwhites?) that are 5" tall, a lot of daffodil and crocus shoots, toad lily leaves, strong sedum pips, and some small fall crocus shoots. No snow drops yet.

History says that the very cold weather to come will kill all the above-ground vegetation, but maybe we'll be lucky this year.

• Like 1

Planted collards and beets under a vold frame two weeks ago and things are sprouting up a bit fast. Garlic also coming along too.

• Like 1

First Snow Drops yesterday (2nd earliest, 1/19/12; records since 2009)

First crocus (2nd earliest, 1/13/07; records since 2003)

10 mi south of DC.

Let's get one big snow to talk about, and then bring on the spring!

Garlic has really sprouted in the last couple weeks - nice to see that every clove has produced a plant.

Still yet to get set up with grow lights so I can start seeds indoors, so for yet another year I’ve ordered my tomato and pepper plants, which should arrive in the first week of April. I might go ahead and get LED grow lights and a heat map, though - would be good for starting the early leaf vegetables and cucumbers, rather than plant them directly in-ground.

The best part of this year’s garden is that my new beds are fully functional from the beginning of the season, with me having built the first in late April and the second in mid August last year. Can’t wait to really get started!

• Like 1

Need to move a hydrangea from a too sunny of a spot to a more shaded one.  Recommendations on best time to move it? 

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

Need to move a hydrangea from a too sunny of a spot to a more shaded one.  Recommendations on best time to move it? 

Last October would have been best, but early March will work. Just watch for stress all summer and water well. It’ll take a year to recover completely 

33 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Last October would have been best, but early March will work. Just watch for stress all summer and water well. It’ll take a year to recover completely 

Thanks, I had a feeling we should have moved it sooner. Blah life 

12 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

It’ll be fine. If it’s really big, you can even split it.

It’s not, last year was first year we had it planted and realized we put it in a bad spot.