• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

23 hours ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I'm sorry but theres Nothing worse than rain, with temps in the low 30's in late December? When I first moved here in 2002-03 season, the best in my life to date, right after Thanksgiving we'd get our hybrid storm then a bout of LE then Fall would resume till right after Christmas, but that particular yr it snowed 11" in Syracuse, my first true White Christmas, and it was truly magical but it seems like since we hit the 2010's everything has gone to straight shit, lol!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I hear this sentiment so much.  Peoples memories really want to remember things for the best (or at least different than reality).  The old timers always talk about the crazy winters we had in the 40's, 50's and 60's, however there is just no data to back it up.  I think a lot of it has to do with how well we can handle snow now and predict snow these days compared to back then.  A typical well forecasted storm now might have been crippling 50 years ago if it hit at the wrong time and couldn't be cleaned up well.  I know that there are a lot of subtleties that I'm glazing over, but there just isn't historic data to back up the idea that winters used to be MUCH colder and snowier.  

That said, there appears to be a small downward trend in snow amounts over the past 20 years (which I would be willing to bet has something to do with Anthropogenic Global Warming), but its barely statistically significant.  Furthermore, if you graph snow totals in the ROC since 1940 you'll actually see our yearly snowfall average trending upwards (however this is somewhat skewed by very low numbers in the 40s).  Anyway, there is a lot of data to digest out there, but not much points to winters being weaker now than they used to.

1306087161_RocSnowLong.PNG.87f4192207db105172c5b2a82ffbe498.PNG

1489509292_RocSnowShort.PNG.e19ec60e690829bfd0d3b3895d89523d.PNG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One last interesting thing to note while I'm wasting my lunch graphing things is the fairly cyclic pattern that ROC has had since 2010.  Looks like we have about a 4 to 5 year frequency oscillating between big years and weak years.  If that pattern holds true, we are currently heading into a couple of crap seasons (which as of right now, seems at least plausible)

596161759_RocSnowShort.PNG.4c6806ac0acef034f480b530bf933c90.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

One last interesting thing to note while I'm wasting my lunch graphing things is the fairly cyclic pattern that ROC has had since 2010.  Looks like we have about a 4 to 5 year frequency oscillating between big years and weak years.  If that pattern holds true, we are currently heading into a couple of crap seasons (which as of right now, seems at least plausible)

596161759_RocSnowShort.PNG.4c6806ac0acef034f480b530bf933c90.PNG

I'm wondering if the oscillations are aligned to blocking/ENSO/MJO 'patterns'.

• Like 1

The ensembles already show that western trough moving east at the end of that time frame, ala last year almost to a T. More concerning is the NWS just basically stated in their AFD that it will primarily rain Saturday and not switch over until late evening to over night...which model actually shows that scenario I ask?

1 hour ago, cleetussnow said:

I can’t help but notice the torch and rain on day 9.  Things can change but it’s a repeating scenario.

Bro that's a CF that u get a shower from, it also sets up a snowstorm..The min u guys see green u freak out lol

Would everyone rather have 40/70 Bm storms lol

We live in the interior, we need systems to run inland, it's always a fine line...

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus (25).png

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

The preference is to be between the 12Z GFS/12Z ECMWF but with a
slightly westward track of their surface lows given ensemble mean
placement. Due to poor ensemble agreement and poor run to run
consistency in the guidance, confidence is below average.

So we're within 48 hours and low confidence...

• Haha 1