• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

11 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

+12 for the month at BUF thru yesterday with nothing but + departures in sight. I’ll set the January over/under line at +10...

I think it's going to be double digits. Our overnight lows have been really warm. Our average low is supposed to be in the teens, we aren't seeing that for awhile. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I think it's going to be double digits. Our overnight lows have been really warm. Our average low is supposed to be in the teens, we aren't seeing that for awhile. 

I've been following some of the guys on the mid Atlantic site and other Mets who believe that there is a Scandinavia Ridge by day 10 which will begin to perturb and shift the PV into Hudson Bay in the next 15 days...that matches up very well with all three ensembles for that timeframe...keep the faith 

Picked up a sloppy inch here and temps were actually 31.8 in my backyard so accumulation wasn’t an issue. I’ll take what I can get. We’ll tack on some lake effect snow showers tonight, another inch or so tomorrow night then maybe another couple inches tues into Wednesday. With the pattern we are in this is a miracle little 5 day stretch of winter before the parade of rain storms move in. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I've been following some of the guys on the mid Atlantic site and other Mets who believe that there is a Scandinavia Ridge by day 10 which will begin to perturb and shift the PV into Hudson Bay in the next 15 days...that matches up very well with all three ensembles for that timeframe...keep the faith 

I can see that but nothing until around the 20th at least. Similar to last year? We're going to have a 40 degree lake in late January. 

Looks like last year the pattern changed mid month around the 15th and we had that big storm Jan 19th/20th and the 2 big LES events in Late Jan. 

• Like 1

Kbgm

A more wintry and somewhat active period expected, with near
average temperatures.
QPF amounts should be between 0.05-0.20" for much of the area, and
with snow to liquid ratios around 10-15:1 we are forecasting a
general 1-2 inches of snow overnight. South-southwest winds
8-15 mph could cause localized blowing snow at times as low
temperatures dip into the 20s.
A steadier area or band of lake effect snow is also possible
across portions of Oneida county on a 270 degree boundary layer
flow. Could see an additional 1-3 inches of snow up here through
the day

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I can see that but nothing until around the 20th at least. Similar to last year? We're going to have a 40 degree lake in late January. 

Looks like last year the pattern changed mid month around the 15th and we had that big storm Jan 19th/20th and the 2 big LES events in Late Jan. 

So yes similar. And in that timeframe we received 65" not saying it will all line up exactly but that 2 weeks of January also saved us. You just said it, 40 degree lake will serve for many opportunities IF the cold air comes and stays.. It also would be about 5 weeks this pattern would be in place and usually they last 4to 6 weeks.

2014-15 will be tough to beat. I think I had 45-50" that season and we are already around 30". Calls for a "new normal" seem overwrought based on a lousy, and ill timed, three week period.
I doubt that as we'll hit normal for sure but it may take till the end of April to get there, lol!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Prognostic Discussion for Week 3-4 Temperature and Experimental Precipitation Outlooks
NWS Climate Prediction Center College Park MD
300PM EST Fri Jan 03 2020

Week 3-4 Forecast Discussion Valid Sat Jan 18 2020-Fri Jan 31 2020

The global tropical convective pattern remains weak, with ENSO-neutral conditions prevailing, an incoherent MJO signal, and a decaying Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD). Therefore, little contribution from the tropics to the downstream midlatitude pattern during the Week 3-4 period is evident in the statistical guidance. Dynamical models almost uniformly favor renewed MJO activity, however, with the enhanced phase crossing the Maritime Continent over the next two weeks at a high amplitude on the RMM-based MJO index. The weakening IOD signal effecting a change in the base state may partly explain the forecasted high amplitude signal, but should a robust MJO event develop and propagate to the Pacific, it could help promote a substantial late winter pattern change over North America. These impacts would occur largely after the Week 3-4 period.

Week 3-4 Outlooks - Temperature Probability

Week 3-4 Outlooks - Precipitation Probability