Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

5 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Frequent cutters could allow for brief cool downs, only reason which could prevent record warmth

Perhaps but it's a lot easier to get warmer departures in the coldest month annually. 

Also don't fear a record warm Jan either as December 2015 has taught us. I'm pretty confident we score 2nd half with at least one good storm.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Perhaps but it's a lot easier to get warmer departures in the coldest month annually. 

Also don't fear a record warm Jan either as December 2015 has taught us. I'm pretty confident we score 2nd half with at least one good storm.

I'd tend to agree.  But a big winter with snowcover is starting to look like it's going down the tubes quick....

2 hours ago, NEG NAO said:

Do you have a list of January snowfall totals when the avg temp was around 2.4 above normal ?

Using the base normal figure skews things, as 2.4 degrees above normal was once around freezing, meaning a greater tendency of snowfall. Using temperature averages is more meaningful.

January Mean: 34.0-34.9: Mean: 7.5"; Most: 27.9", 2016

January Mean: 35.0-35.9: Mean: 4.5"; Most: 13.3", 1964

January Mean: 36.0-39.9: Mean: 2.8"; Most: 7.9", 2017

January Mean: 40.0 or above: Mean: 1.5"; Most: 6.5", 1937

That data is from Central Park.

2 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

nope but snowcover gets harder and harder to maintain as we head through Feb and beyond.  That's why winter '10-11 was special-the goods came during prime low sun angle and coldest temps.  Minimal melting

Again, going with the theme that most people hate snow, my late father once complained to me after a Jan storm sometime in the 70's that, oh no, it will be on the ground till spring now....it used to be cold enough for a snow pack to last awhile at that time of year. Now we get 27 inchers that melt in a few days....

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

nope but snowcover gets harder and harder to maintain as we head through Feb and beyond.  That's why winter '10-11 was special-the goods came during prime low sun angle and coldest temps.  Minimal melting

Worry about that in March. It's the same discussion every year.

The only thing I know is that I don't know.  We can take our best shots at forecasting patterns and possibilities, which makes this hobby interesting and fun, but I have low confidence on any long range forecast coming to fruition as stated.  We have seen time and time again models switching, adjusting, etc.  Mother nature usually throws us surprises, so even if we have good model consensus today about larger pattern evolution, I still try to avoid definitive conclusions about what will eventually transpire.  

28 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

I know it's just a random run of the GFS, but towards the end of the run it shows a 968 cutter. That might just do the trick to snap us back into a more wintry regime.

Sometimes that's  what we need.

Euro is interesting for this weekend. Low transferred further south and east. Probably a long shot but still worth watching. 

31 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

I know it's just a random run of the GFS, but towards the end of the run it shows a 968 cutter. That might just do the trick to snap us back into a more wintry regime.

Agreed my thinking looking at all the model runs going through mid January and the indicies - its going to be a January filled with transient shots of cold enough air for snow - BUT the trough position is key because it does look like a pattern with storms cutting to our west with milder air  before dragging in the next cold front.

46 minutes ago, jfklganyc said:

Buds on the Forsythia bush

10 miles north of the city

Go check yours

33 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

Robins making a come-back this am.

gaining sun light--sunset is now 10 minutes later here than the earliest one in mid Dec.  Sun angle will soon become an issue (LOL)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Jb thinks snow to the coast this weekend and loves next week

Seriously, unfollow JB. Your life will not have so many letdowns. That guy is like heroin for snow junkies. Just stop with him. 

10 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Happens every year

March is the new January

March will never be the new January. Even with tons of snow it melts way too fast. Snow cover to me is much more important. I don't get why people get so excited for storms if they just melt within a few days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1