• Member Statistics

    16,626
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    donyewest
    Newest Member
    donyewest
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
MAG5035

Central PA - Late Dec 2019/Jan 2020

Recommended Posts

Snow has started here, 25ºF. Saw NWS Pittsburgh post about having 1.1" with that initial band of snowfall earlier so hopefully can get a fast start here. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Snow has started here, 25ºF. Saw NWS Pittsburgh post about having 1.1" with that initial band of snowfall earlier so hopefully can get a fast start here. 

Please let us know how that initial band does for you.

Also, do you think the precip will begin to fill in more between the initial band & the main shield in Ohio ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep using the edit as mush as I can to try not to clog the place up but I can only for so long to be accurate besides this  is weather and your sleeping eyes. First band now entering the SV narrow but still looking like there could be some intensity if where not to dry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Please let us know how that initial band does for you.

Also, do you think the precip will begin to fill in more between the initial band & the main shield in Ohio ?

Well, got the heavy echoes overhead and there's fine pingers mixed in already. So that's not really the start I was looking for. But we'll see how the column responds.

Edit: Starting to get the big flakes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Well, got the heavy echoes overhead and there's fine pingers mixed in already. So that's not really the start I was looking for. But we'll see how the column responds.

Edit: Starting to get the big flakes

Nice !

CTP Radar is showing the precip filling in behind the initial band over the western half of PA.

4314055B-479C-4BE3-A31E-5DC55B91361D.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, over to all snow now coming down hard.

@Blizzard of 93 the gap in precip doesn't look too large on PBZ radar, plus we've had some building of the initial wave of precip moving in from the western counties. I don't think we'll see too long of a lull in the precip, which is probably good because the really brief bout of sleet indicates to me that there was some robust warming aloft and the heavy precip wet bulbed that portion of the column back below freezing. Will have to see what it does once this heavy portion gets through here and the precip lightens up some. But yea, don't be surprised if that opening wave has a couple pingers in it when it gets to H-burg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0.6" with that opening burst of snow. Steady light snow now and a pretty decent easterly/southeasterly breeze with temps now down to 23ºF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steady moderate snow now, it is definitely a nice wintry morning out there with temps in the low 20s and a stiff breeze. Pretty fluffy snow. 

Shared this with the Pittsburgh folks and might as well throw it over here too, as it has implications for us downstream as well. Their 12z weather balloon launch this morning, so that's where the atmosphere is actually at and not where it's modeled at. Mentioned last night how high res models like the HRRR were collapsing the snow line south when it got into central and the Sus Valley, well that weather balloon sounding would be how that would happen even if there's a bit of a lull ahead of the main stuff and temps aloft sneak above freezing. 

1164152692_ScreenShot2020-01-18at7_28_49AM.png.224fe3b48ab0e07ede8b4f619738204b.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Nice !

CTP Radar is showing the precip filling in behind the initial band over the western half of PA.

4314055B-479C-4BE3-A31E-5DC55B91361D.gif

As expected, the very first wave out ahead of the 25-30dbz band was virga. Time to run to the store before the 1st actual band gets here. 

What do you think, MAG, for my far eastern area of CTP? All snow, or does that warm nose make it here as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

As expected, the very first wave out ahead of the 25-30dbz band was virga. Time to run to the store before the 1st actual band gets here. 

What do you think, MAG, for my far eastern area of CTP? All snow, or does that warm nose make it here as well?

I definitely think mostly frozen.. I bet you probably mix at some point but it would be sleet. CTP has you in 4-6" which I think is doable for you.. since your so far east and your also north too I'm sure you'll at least get to advisory criteria fairly easily as your pretty safely in the deeper CAD.

Really interested to see what happens with this main wave just getting ready to get to Pittsburgh, it looks quite heavy and that gap between waves is closing up pretty fast. I see a couple mPing reports of snow across the border in Ohio under that heavy stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

I definitely think mostly frozen.. I bet you probably mix at some point but it would be sleet. CTP has you in 4-6" which I think is doable for you.. since your so far east and your also north too I'm sure you'll at least get to advisory criteria fairly easily as your pretty safely in the deeper CAD.

Really interested to see what happens with this main wave just getting ready to get to Pittsburgh, it looks quite heavy and that gap between waves is closing up pretty fast. I see a couple mPing reports of snow across the border in Ohio under that heavy stuff.

Sounds good, thanks! Perhaps this is one of those nice little overachievers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am in Mount Union currently. Roads have caved. Moderately coming down. If it stays at this clip for a few more hours, the advisory will verify 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

It’s cold out, these are the kinda temperatures you wish you had in place for a Gulf low heading to the Delmarva. 

We did in January 1996. If I remember correctly, it was +7 when it started snowing in Allentown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow has been steady, but primarily light.  Ground is white now.  I'd say about 0.3" accumulation.  Temp 22.3 / 19.2.  Started here around 7:30, so after almost 2 hours it hasn't been particularly productive (yet).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.