Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Late Dec 2019/Jan 2020

MAG5035

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Sleet is reminding me of March 93. Just pouring sleet. 

We flipped to mostly sleet with occasional light flakes mixed in around 2 pm.

Surprisingly Epic sledding conditions with my kids for the last hour.

As of 230pm, we have 1.5 inches of snow/sleet combo.

Hopefully the heavy sleet gets me over the 2 inch mark later on for the event !

29 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

You sleeted out here in the superstorm?  I didn't know it reached this far inland.  (I was in north Jersey at the time.)  After 13" of snow i proceeded to have 5" of sleet!!!  All with temps in the teens.

I had 6 hours of sleet which added up to close to 4". It, along with the wind was epic. Sleet extended back to about 81 or so? 

11 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I had 6 hours of sleet which added up to close to 4". It, along with the wind was epic. Sleet extended back to about 81 or so? 

There was no sleet in Harrisburg for the storm if my memory serves me correct.

I was only 15 back in 1993, but the 2 feet of snow & wind was beyond epic.

13 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Amazing.  Yeah, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of Harrisburg vicinity.  Lancaster definitely closer to the center.  Still would not have guessed you had 4" of sleet.  Wow.  I wonder if there will ever be another superstorm in our lifetimes?  I'm not sure if anyone ever compared that storm to the great November 1950 storm.  I think PIT got 2 feet from that while EWR had hurricane conditions with sustained winds of 75mph for 12 hours.  I know that seems impossible but it happened.  Also, sub-zero temps in the panhandle of Florida.  Would have loved to have been around for that one.

27 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Perusing the latest ASOS obs it appears that they have a problem identifying sleet.  All I see is Unknown Precip.  Can they not identify sleet/ice pellets?

Yes, it is also odd that MDT for the last 2 hours has had Obs of “Fog/Mist”, but has recorded .12 of precip combined in those 2 hours.

Hopefully they account properly for the sleet for the storm total later on.

2 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Amazing.  Yeah, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of Harrisburg vicinity.  Lancaster definitely closer to the center.  Still would not have guessed you had 4" of sleet.  Wow.  I wonder if there will ever be another superstorm in our lifetimes?  I'm not sure if anyone ever compared that storm to the great November 1950 storm.  I think PIT got 2 feet from that while EWR had hurricane conditions with sustained winds of 75mph for 12 hours.  I know that seems impossible but it happened.  Also, sub-zero temps in the panhandle of Florida.  Would have loved to have been around for that one.

Super Storm of 93 caused sub zero temps in Florida as well (I think) and plowable snow in several areas down there....just no plows to plow it!

Just now, CarlislePaWx said:

Greatest storm ever. The buildup was unprecedented...everyone knew it was coming for 5-7 days in advance. The water vapor loop for that storm is jaw-dropping. 

I had snow cover for 10 days after the storm. Of course, that was the middle of March..

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Super Storm of 93 caused sub zero temps in Florida as well (I think) and plowable snow in several areas down there....just no plows to plow it!

And a deadly squall line that produced violent tornadoes early on the 13th. 

Edit: Freezing rain is mixing in with the sleet now. Ugh. 

6 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

And a deadly squall line that produced violent tornadoes early on the 13th. 

Edit: Freezing rain is mixing in with the sleet now. Ugh. 

12 foot storm surge with that squall line.  The ocean  made it back to Weekiewatchie which is well inland.  96MPH gust in Tampa and one 6" snow report on the panhandle.  Amazing. 

I know it's nice to reminisce about 1993, but can we please talk more about THIS event? I'm trying to get upstream obs and info so I can follow and anticipate what's coming next. Right now, it has almost stopped "precipitating" here. When I measured we had nice moderate snow, then it turned into almost like a light sleet mist, and now has almost stopped entirely. Not sure what to make of it.

Just now, Voyager said:

I know it's nice to reminisce about 1993, but can we please talk more about THIS event? I'm trying to get upstream obs and info so I can follow and anticipate what's coming next. Right now, it has almost stopped "precipitating" here. When I measured we had nice moderate snow, then it turned into almost like a light sleet mist, and now has almost stopped entirely. Not sure what to make of it.

Their was a brief pause and then we went back to all sleet, as Mike said it’s pouring sleet