• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

2 hours ago, WesterlyWx said:

This winter really does seem like everything that pops up just keeps disappearing as it gets closer however we are still somehow above average on the season (mostly due to the mid November storm that dumped almost a foot). I’m just shy of 30” on the season but it doesn’t feel like it because every time we get snow it melts or gets washed away within a couple days. I feel like that’s been the theme of the 2010s winters (except for 13/14 & 14/15)  is for lots of warm ups and frequent meltdowns with very little long sustained cold. Maybe it’s just my  memory but it sure doesn’t seem winters are the way they used to be. 

1 hour ago, wolfie09 said:

Shows you how bad last December was , I've already surpassed those totals..But in a way it's just like last December with all these cutters destroying our snow pack..

Totally agree with both on this. You guys already know it's been my mantra, so I won't say anything else. :) 

As far as this week, what looked like could have been a very snowy week is fading away...

We need to sloooooow everything down. Everything is zipping through. My doctor this week was even saying that all these ups and downs are really hard on the body. She's seen many people come in who have been affected by all the rapid ups and downs.

A592111A-1552-4851-A937-0B3DB7CAE198.thumb.jpeg.f2911e0c28c6544c5f4d9f0e913b9a12.jpeg

When winters were winters!  The aftermath of the Blizzard of ‘66 when Oswego got 101 inches of snow along with winds of 60 mph.  I’m old enough to remember this storm although I lived in the Mohawk Valley then.  It might be my first big weather memory, we didn’t have school for a week.

• Like 3

A592111A-1552-4851-A937-0B3DB7CAE198.thumb.jpeg.f2911e0c28c6544c5f4d9f0e913b9a12.jpeg
When winters were winters!  The aftermath of the Blizzard of ‘66 when Oswego got 101 inches of snow along with winds of 60 mph.  I’m old enough to remember this storm although I lived in the Mohawk Valley then.  It might be my first big weather memory, we didn’t have school for a week.

I know we can see some neat pictures of our big storms these days but they just never seem to compare to pictures of the old days like that one. I ran across this one the other day. From March 1947 in the Buffalo south towns. I mean that’s nuts. What’s more nuts is the storm(s) that produced that weren’t even important enough to make it into the Buffalo Blizzard Book...

a676070da116cb2431825f363b426427.jpg

• Like 1

We now have some wicked CAA underway, finally and the lakes are naturally gonna fire up but moisture is limited and the incoming HP is gonna squash it all to bits. No diurnal influences because the Sun is pretty much a non factor and we still cant get a Loke Ontario Death Band to fire up, Sad really sad!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Totally agree! Seems those of us that were younger remember the 90s and early 2000s being great winters. Seemed every year we started building up snow around Thanksgiving, held it through Christmas, had the yearly “January Thaw” before another few weeks of winter. Now it’s nickel and dime snow that melts a day or two later and we don’t really get into a prolonged winter pattern until we hit January. Who knows maybe it is global warming...

It's the weather and these Winters are anomalous to CNY but they happen, and fortunately not often! That system yesterday was about as anomalous as one can get, lol, the system was over the Poconos at 988MB and we were experiencing rain, heavy rain, KBUF went over to snow early and it didn't accumulate at all but a few sloppy inches except in the hills I saw some 6-8"ers so.good for them. Hopefully after the holidays it changes cause I won't even go into the week of Christmas, lol!

Very heavy snow coming through and it's practically a perfect WNW flow but that'll change cause it's not allowed to snow over me, or so it seems, lol!

Still too warm, lol, to stop the constant dripping cause houses in CNY dont use the cause of the ice, but I think that needs to change. When I first moved here 15 yrs ago, it was awesome, snowpack from late Nov, usually AFTER Thanksgiving and it would last until mid Jan- Thaw- then start the rebuild process but those days are long gone. They'll be back, but who knows when as it could take 20-30yrs, but who really knows. Yesterday strom should never of been allowed to happen, RLMAO

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

Still too warm, lol, to stop the constant dripping cause houses in CNY dont use the cause of the ice, but I think that needs to change. When I first moved here 15 yrs ago, it was awesome, snowpack from late Nov, usually AFTER Thanksgiving and it would last until mid Jan- Thaw- then start the rebuild process but those days are long gone. They'll be back, but who knows when as it could take 20-30yrs, but who really knows. Yesterday strom should never of been allowed to happen, RLMAO

We've had a few winters like that in my 15 years here but on balance a lot of up and down for "snowpack."  My experience prior to moving here was further Southeast, and South, where that's the norm in almost any winter.  So I don't have a good lifetime frame of reference in one location to come to any conclusions, other than make a limited observation.  Would be interesting to see if anyone with access to the requisite data (if it exists), has done any long term study of winter snow depths. 

Can’t complain here 
AC4C4538-2452-4DE0-8598-15EEF0D19AF5.thumb.jpeg.45eb20faa2e78e87856cac87263d5ffc.jpeg

Look at that your 5 minutes off the plane and here we go. BUF issues a HWO for lake effect potential mid week. Not much but something!

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
Northern Erie-Genesee-
1245 PM EST Sun Dec 15 2019

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Monday through Saturday.

Lake effect snow may develop late Tuesday night through Wednesday
east of Lake Erie. The snow may briefly impact the area from Buffalo
to Batavia before moving south into the Southern Tier. Moderate
accumulations are possible if the band remains across the area long
enough.

GFS was is throwing a pretty intense band on a WSW flow... winds won’t hold long but maybe a couple hour window.
6935c80775008ee8fff206d9a2ca6273.jpg

• Haha 1