• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

15 hours ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

How’s the snowpack doing up in Ottawa? I have some time off and was considering heading north to get in some cross country skiing. Certainly not happening around here for a while. 

I have actually been living in Toronto for the past few years, so don't see as much snow as I used to up in Ottawa. That being said, last winter was pretty good, particularly late January and early February.

Currently bare ground in Toronto, although, if you can believe it, we have so far seen more snow this winter than we did throughout the entire winter of 2011/2012. November 2019 was the coldest November in Toronto since 1976, and in the top 5 coldest on record.

Was in Montreal last weekend and the difference in temperature compared to Toronto was impressive - about 13 degrees Celsius colder in fact - thanks to the northeasterly flow.

As for Ottawa, it looks like they're expecting a fair bit of snow this Sunday and Monday, so you should be good for skiing.

This does not appear to be a major lake effect event, but there will
be a narrow window for some decent lake snows. Lake induced
instability will be minimal, but ample when considering moisture
provided by the shortwave and upstream lakes. There still is
uncertainty in model guidance, but it appears the best chance for
snow will be Tuesday night and Wednesday when the trough moves
through. The most persistent winds are likely to be WSW which
would focus any snow generally across the snow belts E-ENE of
the lakes. Specific amounts will depend on band movement, and
the evolution of the upper level low. Moderate accumulations
are not out of the question, but the more likely outcome is
that there will be only minor snow accumulations.

Long time lurker here in warm and snowless Caledonia. Though I offer no weather insight or knowledge I am a snowmobiler and therefore I am a die hard winter lover. Over the last year or two I have come to this page for the inside scoop on long range forecasts and the likelihood of whether or not a winter storm might impact the WNY area. And though I am deeply disappointed by the way this winter seems to be shaping up just like last year with what seems the cold pattern flip on an ever moving horizon, I do enjoy coming on here and reading what you all have to say for winter weather, for better or for worse.

Geez.

• Like 8

This does not appear to be a major lake effect event, but there willbe a narrow window for some decent lake snows. Lake inducedinstability will be minimal, but ample when considering moistureprovided by the shortwave and upstream lakes. There still isuncertainty in model guidance, but it appears the best chance forsnow will be Tuesday night and Wednesday when the trough movesthrough. The most persistent winds are likely to be WSW whichwould focus any snow generally across the snow belts E-ENE ofthe lakes. Specific amounts will depend on band movement, andthe evolution of the upper level low. Moderate accumulationsare not out of the question, but the more likely outcome isthat there will be only minor snow accumulations.

Aside from a lake band hitting during a Bills game, the second biggest impact type event would be one hitting the metro during the New Years Eve ball drop. Guess it’s in the realm of possibility right now. Almost happened a few years ago just couldn’t get cranking until New Year’s Day. Ended up being a decent snowfall for the immediate south towns.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2015-2016&event=C

3 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Aside from a lake band hitting during a Bills game, the second biggest impact type event would be one hitting the metro during the New Years Eve ball drop. Guess it’s in the realm of possibility right now. Almost happened a few years ago just couldn’t get cranking until New Year’s Day. Ended up being a decent snowfall for the immediate south towns.

https://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=2015-2016&event=C

You know that scenario in '15 is awefully similar to this year, a western trough will be in placd, lake is about 8 degrees above normal (in spots according to the map BW showed earlier) and a system coming through at that time...if I'm not mistaken that second half of winter was pretty incredible...

You know that scenario in '15 is awefully similar to this year, a western trough will be in placd, lake is about 8 degrees above normal (in spots according to the map BW showed earlier) and a system coming through at that time...if I'm not mistaken that second half of winter was pretty incredible...

That storm was our first measurable snowfall in the metro on the last day of December. Record low November and December monthly snowfalls.
89a48936c4a3b2c915514b4897b3ba44.jpg

Things really got going middle of the month with a 10 day stretch dropping over 4’ along the Chautauqua Ridge and far Southern Erie County.
ac6c96947897d0bc8d89a49bbed2a35a.jpg
ee74cff88c9dd5c54ddabea00124e709.jpg
2dbb7c6e6f4b440445b25f1ef4e6c14a.jpg
0c6f8f7a563623cf9d8f86dd8481466f.jpg

Little break than another decent shot of lake snows mid February with the lake still open. The storm before Valentines Day was pretty rough going in the South Towns.
3d022cf8f19756d58ef4c3e5615113a9.jpg
2c35d0362a55014f88c695dde3b44912.jpg

5 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

:violin:

BB524B9C-2ADB-4252-B6FD-83F1256542A1.jpeg

Ouch! Honestly, it's looking like Environment Canada and the NWS may be heading for victory with regard to their call for a warmer than average winter. They were against the grain and Environment Canada's forecast, in particular, raised some eyebrows up here in Canada from other weather outlets.

1 hour ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

That storm was our first measurable snowfall in the metro on the last day of December. Record low November and December monthly snowfalls.
89a48936c4a3b2c915514b4897b3ba44.jpg

Things really got going middle of the month with a 10 day stretch dropping over 4’ along the Chautauqua Ridge and far Southern Erie County.
ac6c96947897d0bc8d89a49bbed2a35a.jpg
ee74cff88c9dd5c54ddabea00124e709.jpg
2dbb7c6e6f4b440445b25f1ef4e6c14a.jpg
0c6f8f7a563623cf9d8f86dd8481466f.jpg

Little break than another decent shot of lake snows mid February with the lake still open. The storm before Valentines Day was pretty rough going in the South Towns.
3d022cf8f19756d58ef4c3e5615113a9.jpg
2c35d0362a55014f88c695dde3b44912.jpg

We did a lot better then the airport due to those lake effect events. But otherwise far below normal at 80" here. If you get a below average temp. winter you can basically guarantee above normal snowfall. Above normal temps during the winter leads to below normal snowfall more times than not.

In the wake of Tuesday afternoon`s secondary trough/cold frontal
passage...850 mb temperatures will dip to around -9C/-10C...or just
marginally cold enough to support some weak to modest lake effect
snows east and east-northeast of the lakes Tuesday night into
Wednesday morning given the general westerly to west-southwesterly
low level flow. With decent moisture and enhancement from upsloping
in place...cannot rule out some moderate accumulations where the
resulting activity is most persistent...however the relatively
short time window...only marginally cold enough environment and the
presence of some shear all still suggest only a minor lake effect
event. Regardless of how much of a lake response there actually is...
this should quickly wind down from west to east Wednesday afternoon
and evening as surface-based ridging and drier air builds into our
region...and warm air advection develops aloft.