Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Possible Dec 1-3 Winter Storm

Zelocita Weather

11 minutes ago, kingbaus said:

Starting to lose hope for this storm in the NYC metro area.

Why? The Euro gave several inches of snow for KNYC at 12z and 18z. Several other models show accumulating snowfall especially north and west of NYC which is within the metropolitan area.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nibor said:

Why? The Euro gave several inches of snow for KNYC at 12z and 18z. Several other models show accumulating snowfall especially north and west of NYC which is within the metropolitan area.

Yeah, but the evening wasnt kind. NW folks are ok.  0z GFS wasn't better but not really worse the rogue 18z band wasn't realistic. 

• Like 1

The place for this should be from near Boston to the Catskills IMO. If models start ticking back north I think this is about done for NYC outside of a lucky 1-2” on the back end. There’s still an outside shot this can produce near the coast but we need the blocking high to be locked in and force the redevelopment to be earlier and south. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Yeah, but the evening wasnt kind. NW folks are ok.  0z GFS wasn't better but not really worse the rogue 18z band wasn't realistic. 

I dunno, I feel like coastal folks should have been keeping their expectations tempered. Not to say there still isn't potential for the coast to see some snow. NW areas, obviously, do better this time of year.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I dunno, I feel like coastal folks should have been keeping their expectations tempered. Not to say there still isn't potential for the coast to see some snow. NW areas, obviously, do better this time of year.

I think most would be happy just to see the first accumulating snow of the season near the coast, not expecting a big event. I think the 12Z Euro got people thinking it could be bigger for the coast, lets see what the 0Z Euro shows.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HVSnowLover said:

I think most would be happy just to see the first accumulating snow of the season near the coast, not expecting a big event. I think the 12Z Euro got people thinking it could be bigger for the coast, lets see what the 0Z Euro shows.

My hopes aren’t for anything more than a quick inch or maybe two on grass, and I live in a cold part of Long Island now. Anyone should know the 12z Euro might be a pipe dream-I could see how it happens but we need much more to go right than for people on I-90. 

Initially most models have a quick burst of snow even for the coast but the primary and deep southerly flow will keep that brief unless the upper low can really dig and force the redevelopment south which cuts off the warm air. The consensus is that happens in time for 50mi or so north of the city and pivots lots of moisture overhead-we possibly dryslot and stay warm down here until the back end which is maybe when we pick up a little more snow since these closed 500 lows often have precip on the west side of the surface low, and cold air comes back south. Something like the 4-1-97 type evolution which demolished Boston to Albany, Catskills and Poconos. We really need this all to happen a little further south. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

My hopes aren’t for anything more than a quick inch or maybe two on grass, and I live in a cold part of Long Island now. Anyone should know the 12z Euro might be a pipe dream-I could see how it happens but we need much more to go right than for people on I-90. 

Initially most models have a quick burst of snow even for the coast but the primary and deep southerly flow will keep that brief unless the upper low can really dig and force the redevelopment south which cuts off the warm air. The consensus is that happens in time for 50mi or so north of the city and pivots lots of moisture overhead-we possibly dryslot and stay warm down here until the back end which is maybe when we pick up a little more snow since these closed 500 lows often have precip on the west side of the surface low, and cold air comes back south. Something like the 4-1-97 type evolution which demolished Boston to Albany, Catskills and Poconos. We really need this all to happen a little further south. 

This is why we track. 2 more days =)

Just now, Ericjcrash said:

On a clown map. In reality it's almost a full day of mood flakes. Could be worse. Low completely stalls for 18+ hours.

If the snow behind the low is banded and comes down moderate, it should accumulate and it’s possible if it’s dynamic enough- it’ll be a closed off upper low. If it’s occasional snow showers or light I doubt it accumulates. 

• Like 1

Just now, jm1220 said:

If the snow behind the low is banded and comes down moderate, it should accumulate and it’s possible if it’s dynamic enough- it’ll be a closed off upper low. If it’s occasional snow showers or light I doubt it accumulates. 

Where the stall occurs will determine who gets the most snow

12 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

On a clown map. In reality it's almost a full day of mood flakes. Could be worse. Low completely stalls for 18+ hours.

The accumulating snow would actually be more so on the front end than the back end. It shows about 3 hours of heavy snow at the start of the storm for the Metro area.