Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

15 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

ORH had +12 yesterday, maybe similar today?

Currently at -1.3 with a special Scooter asterisk.  

It’s been a little better recently. Never knew it would cause such angst lol. 

In any case it’s going to get close to N or a hair AN in spots before the month ends. I definitely underestimated the first half of month, but second half is working out nicely. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2019 at 7:26 AM, CoastalWx said:

It’s been a little better recently. Never knew it would cause such angst lol. 

In any case it’s going to get close to N or a hair AN in spots before the month ends. I definitely underestimated the first half of month, but second half is working out nicely. 

First 10 day airmass was the result of brutal cold Novie in which the nao had effectively trapped over us. Once the nao lifted, it’s been complete trash for south of pike.  

26 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

ORH ended at -0.1F.   Amazing turnaround. 

HFD 0.1 and PVD 0.4   Eeked AN after all. Back in November, I was thinking under 1.0, but more of a WAG. The last 12 days or so was a torch with the help of a couple of cutters early on. We ignore KBOS.  Certainly didn't expect such a cold and snowy first half. 

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

HFD 0.1 and PVD 0.4   Eeked AN after all. Back in November, I was thinking under 1.0, but more of a WAG. The last 12 days or so was a torch with the help of a couple of cutters early on. We ignore KBOS.  Certainly didn't expect such a cold and snowy first half. 

A very interesting month meteorologically speaking. At least up here.   Lots of snow and cold. Lots of rain and warmth. Nice final stanza with thunder and sleet and snow and ice. 

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A very interesting month meteorologically speaking. At least up here.   Lots of snow and cold. Lots of rain and warmth. Nice final stanza with thunder and sleet and snow and ice. 

Yeah NB for sure. It would have been great to close out the month with something here, but I enjoyed the first half. 

11 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

ORH finished with 27.6" of snow...just 0.5" ahead 2007 for 7th place on the December list. Pretty good month. The two absolute raging cutters were a big bummer but can't complain overall. Spent most of the month with snow cover anyway. 

33 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH finished with 27.6" of snow...just 0.5" ahead 2007 for 7th place on the December list. Pretty good month. The two absolute raging cutters were a big bummer but can't complain overall. Spent most of the month with snow cover anyway. 

Same here. Probably 20+ days of pack. Well AN snow and a smidge BN temps. 2 icestorms. Just had a 8-9 day boring stretch 

18 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Last to the party with some late heroics, Finished just above normal for snow in Dec.

I think I finished around 11”, I’ll have to check, so while it’s AN snowfall...it sure felt like a trash month especially when all of it came early. A brown and wet holiday season didn’t help either.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I think I finished around 11”, I’ll have to check, so while it’s AN snowfall...it sure felt like a trash month especially when all of it came early. A brown and wet holiday season didn’t help either.

I feel similar, but then think of all the horrific Decembers we have had. Puts it into perspective. 

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea, I certainly won't rate this one very high on my list, It was an ok month but not much of a pack to speak of, Most of it getting almost completely wiped out by the cutters.

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Even freezing drizzle can be an icestorm ?

I have to agree with you. That was an ice storm but just not a damaging one. By far longest I have had .4 ice on trees in Dec. The 50 plus mph winds for hours sending shards like missiles was one of the coolest wx phenomena I have witnessed.