Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Not too often you see the north/south gradient reversed for an entire month like it has been. A single storm sure, but to have just about every system perform better to your south is a bit of an oddity. We go from like 40" near the MA border to the high teens in your area. 

Climo will, eventually, assert itself as in 07-08, 13-14 and last winter.  However, there's been more than average, it seems, when the opposite occurs - 02-03, 04-05, 09-10, 14-15.  The 2nd and 4th of those winters were good here, great to our south. 

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I don't care at all really. It wasn't damaging in my hood, others saw damage. I never ever claimed we had 2, never.  As far as verification goes that's all your gig. Us mere mortals see thick ice, it's an ice storm.  2 to 4 inches of snow it's a snowstorm. You really want to improve research get NCDC off its ass and correct their incomplete incorrect databases.

You guys troll all the time so once in a while it's good to get you wound up. We joke 

:huh:

Seems like you're arguing a lot for a joke about ice storm criteria. The reason I even come to AmericanWx half the time is to inform people interested in weather how we do things. But if mere mortals don't want to hear about it and just want to do their own thing that's fine.

38 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

:huh:

Seems like you're arguing a lot for a joke about ice storm criteria. The reason I even come to AmericanWx half the time is to inform people interested in weather how we do things. But if mere mortals don't want to hear about it and just want to do their own thing that's fine.

Lol if you dont want to hear our opinions,  that's fine too. After all its us you serve not the other way around.  You do fantastic work Chris but understand how we as the GP see things. An ice storm might not meet rigid standards set by NWS but ask anyone what it was and I bet 99.9% say ice storm not freezing rain event. As I said I was trolling Scott like he trolls. Obviously semantically you were correct but I guarantee people will remember it as an ice storm.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol if you dont want to hear our opinions,  that's fine too. After all its us you serve not the other way around.  You do fantastic work Chris but understand how we as the GP see things. An ice storm might not meet rigid standards set by NWS but ask anyone what it was and I bet 99.9% say ice storm not freezing rain event. As I said I was trolling Scott like he trolls. Obviously semantically you were correct but I guarantee people will remember it as an ice storm.

Nobody even knows what a freezing rain event is, all storms are blizzards, etc.

We serve through teaching and outreach too, and I don't see myself as doing service by allowing misinformation to fester. Opinions are fine, but objective analysis by subject matter experts ultimately determines how events are categorized.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I troll because you guys get bent out of shape. Our points are correct. Kevin had just over a tenth of an inch in his ice storm. Now down by HVN? Different story. 

We troll because you do too. You can met piggy pile all you want it's fine. Nothing better than getting Mets riled up because of semantics. Works every time. Kevin showed a pic right from the first ice storm, more than .1?

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Nobody even knows what a freezing rain event is, all storms are blizzards, etc.

We serve through teaching and outreach too, and I don't see myself as doing service by allowing misinformation to fester. Opinions are fine, but objective analysis by subject matter experts ultimately determines how events are categorized.

That's fine. I think we need mesonet stations everywhere.  Asos doesn't cut it. Seems NWS uses ASOS for verification a lot. Hopefully funding increases dramatically now. Its extremely important the work you do.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

We troll because you do too. You can met piggy pile all you want it's fine. Nothing better than getting Mets riled up because of semantics. Works every time. Kevin showed a pic right from the first ice storm, more than .1?

We do it because when we try to be objective, you all love to get fired up when something is taken down a notch in your eyes. You want to talk about extremism, you see it every day on here. :lol: 

We do it because when we try to be objective, you all love to get fired up when something is taken down a notch in your eyes. You want to talk about extremism, you see it every day on here. :lol: 

Sort of like climate change.....lol I get it bro, totally get it. Storm 1 was an ice storm in a lot of Ct. Storm 2 only in NWCT 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Look at Ryan’s map I posted . You are wrong . You don’t even live in the state but somehow you know more about what we had than Ryan?

He proved me right. I said HVN. Look at 4 season's map. You had less than 0.2"  And also, the BDL ASOS was probably flat. So cut that by a fair amount. 

He proved me right. I said HVN. Look at 4 season's map. You had less than 0.2"  And also, the BDL ASOS was probably flat. So cut that by a fair amount. 

Any ASOS Ryan included in that list is definitely flat surface. I'll give Kevin 0.25" on his oaks.