Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

16 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

SE is downslope here?

Just looking at the topography looks like downsloping from S, SE, E.  As you and Alex know though you can reap the rewards on the Nw/N upslope flow.

HIE is known as the one of the biggest SE downslope pits I believe. Look at every 3k nam precip map, you could have March 93 redux coming up the coast and I swear it would print out .25" qpf for whitefield. It does the same for DDH, always a ridiculous minimum in any SE flow event.  A bit overdone, but you get the idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Just looking at the topography looks like downsloping from S, SE, E.  As you and Alex know though you can reap the rewards on the Nw/N upslope flow.

HIE is known as the one of the biggest SE downslope pits I believe. Look at every 3k nam precip map, you could have March 93 redux coming up the coast and I swear it would print out .25" qpf for whitefield. It does the same for DDH, always a ridiculous minimum in any SE flow event.  A bit overdone, but you get the idea.

Yeah it depends on where she lives.  Alex at 1,500ft in Bretton Woods would be saved relatively on SE flow as he's tucked in closer to the terrain.... but get a few miles further out and it probably is a very sharp gradient.  Similar to our upslope.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah it depends on where she lives.  Alex at 1,500ft in Bretton Woods would be saved relatively on SE flow as he's tucked in closer to the terrain.... but get a few miles further out and it probably is a very sharp gradient.  Similar to our upslope.

I find you need some really strong winds for it to matter. In most cases the difference is not very noticeable until you get to Whitefield or towards Littleton

6 minutes ago, alex said:

I find you need some really strong winds for it to matter. In most cases the difference is not very noticeable until you get to Whitefield or towards Littleton

Right, as PF mentioned your tucked in close, similar to me with the greens, so not as much distance  for the downslope waterfall effect. Where is Nopoles, i guess a little further out?

The forecast around here has changed fairly dramatically from even yesterday evening, where there wasn’t much precipitation expected with this next system, but now a Winter Storm Watch is in place:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

413 AM EST Sat Nov 23 2019

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SUNDAY/...

As of 334 AM EST Saturday...

We`ve seen a rather dramatic shift northward shift with the 00Z NWP guidance suite with the track and evolution of strong low pressure affecting our region for Sunday. The 00Z NAM, GFS and ECMWF all indicated the northward shift, with 00Z NAM and ECMWF indicating sfc low track across RI and sern MA (984mb low in operational 00Z ECMWF soln). Likewise, system development occurs early enough that models indicate a closed 700mb low to our south across sern NY/Long Island around 18Z Sunday. These trends are favorable for a period of moderate to heavy precipitation across central/ern portions of our forecast area, especially Sunday afternoon.

23NOV19A.jpg

23NOV19B.jpg

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

JMHO, but I think those snow amounts near PF and Jspin will go up with the aftn package. Pretty good signal nearby for heavier snows. We'll see what 12z stuff says.

That certainly seems possible based on some guidance.  I really like that the BTV NWS typically seems to take their snow forecasting step by step and only slowly ramps it up as needed.  We don’t have massive population centers that lead to huge traffic pileups and the folks around here are well acclimated to the snowy climate, so I think they have a bit more leeway to take a conservative approach.  That’s the way it feels to me at least, even if it’s not official policy.

Just now, J.Spin said:

That certainly seems possible based on some guidance.  I really like that the BTV NWS typically seems to take their snow forecasting step by step and only slowly ramps it up as needed.  We don’t have massive population centers that lead to huge traffic pileups and the folks around here are well acclimated to the snowy climate, so I think they have a bit more leeway to take a conservative approach.  That’s the way it feels to me at least, even if it’s not official policy.

I’m thinking a little out of the box with the banding. The model QPF states those amounts, but the 700 low seems to argue for a bit more, hence why I mentioned that.   We were talking about it in the general November thread too. Of course, easy to say that when you’re not in the hot seat.

I was down in North Conway today and it seems so weird that it's completely bare ground there. Living up here the early seasons seem like a different season. Mid winter here, late fall there. Kinda cool for such a short distance. 

Also interesting to notice that while generally (I assume) much less snowy, Littleton also seems to have a longer snow season than Conway. 

I love the microclimates of this area. 

Winter Storm Warnings up. We'll see!

1 hour ago, alex said:

I was down in North Conway today and it seems so weird that it's completely bare ground there. Living up here the early seasons seem like a different season. Mid winter here, late fall there. Kinda cool for such a short distance. 

Also interesting to notice that while generally (I assume) much less snowy, Littleton also seems to have a longer snow season than Conway. 

I love the microclimates of this area. 

Winter Storm Warnings up. We'll see!

Couple of days ago when you had that beautiful snowfall north of the notch was amazing too.  Totally bare ground in Lincoln.  Even the mountains around town were bare.  Drive into Franconia Notch and come out the other side with substantial snowcover on the ground and on the trees.  Guess that how it is on the different sides of the VT spine but it's think it's more rare here for abrupt changes.  Maybe not?  In any event  you have had constant snowcover for a couple of weeks now.  

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

JMHO but that wasn’t a good take. 

Right, but you even pointed out that you were thinking out of the box and wouldn’t necessarily have gone that route if you were actually responsible for the forecast.  I think that disparity speaks to what does on for some of the “weenies” in the forum – if they have zero responsibility related to their predictions, they’re sort of free to go wild and say whatever they want, then you meteorologists have to reign them in.  I get it that this sort of a “hobby” for many people, but from my perspective, the grandiose snowfall predictions always come off as sort of “weenie-ish?” (I guess that’s a term)  I assume it’s all part of the drama.

2 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Right, but you even pointed out that you were thinking out of the box and wouldn’t necessarily have gone that route if you were actually responsible for the forecast.  I think that disparity speaks to what does on for some of the “weenies” in the forum – if they have zero responsibility related to their predictions, they’re sort of free to go wild and say whatever they want, then you meteorologists have to reign them in.  I get it that this sort of a “hobby” for many people, but from my perspective, the grandiose snowfall predictions always come off as sort of “weenie-ish?” (I guess that’s a term)  I assume it’s all part of the drama.

I certainly wasn’t trying to go the weenie route either. It’s just that we know guidance struggles with mid-level banding, and yesterday morning it looked good in your area. Of course everything slid east and that argument went away.