• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Bobby Orr
    Newest Member
    Bobby Orr

2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

FDA5BCE1-8309-4E67-91AC-1EB44F8F1201.thumb.jpeg.fc20e97ef7f9196dd3e90ec8985411c9.jpeg
Back deck this morning from my wife, I’ll go with 2-2.5” for the total which seems to match up with the report I saw from the NWS. Puts me in the 7.5-8” range for season to date, maybe we can eek out an inch or two of the upcoming NWFS is robust enough to spill over onto my side of the Plott Balsams.  Then bring on a good March event and let’s see where the chips fall.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Hvward said:

Thank you. Shouldn’t let people get to me, but at times it happens.

Thank you for taking the time to give us your thoughts on what you think will happen. Too many have chased off a number of the mets, so I'd like to make sure you understand how appreciated you are by those of us that take it in and try to learn from what you write.:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hvward said:

Thank you. Shouldn’t let people get to me, but at times it happens.

Don't sweat them. You made a great call from 5 days out,  pointing out the potential long before most mets and even the models showed much of anything.  Above 3500' your call was good in Macon county.  Below that we couldn't get below freezing.  We would have easily had 6" if all of what fell could have accumulated.  Please keep sharing your thoughts!

• Like 2

Beautiful pictures everyone  :wub:   I'm glad so many of you guys got to see the something frozen falling from the sky! I hope you guys cash in a little more in the next couple of days :hug: 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

The next 7 to 10 days look interesting.  Looks like we might have a few chances of snow and looks like we could possibly see some of the coldest temps of the season coming in. 

Can't really expect winter until March and April in this neck of the woods ;) 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, strongwxnc said:

Found some close to spruce pine. Parkway is closed in spots.

Glad you found some snow.  Did some cycling on a closed section of the Parkway near Asheville, no snow at all on the road; a little snow in the woods on the north facing slopes.

Parkway.JPG

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Props to the GFS sniffing this flurry out pretty early.

Gonna say we have a "heavy" dusting and it's actually coming down pretty good. This would probably qualify for the 4th biggest event we've had lol

Wow still can't believe the WNC Mountains haven't seen a couple of decent snows.  Don't think I've ever seen weather like this in my 68 years here.  Don't think a year has ever been this bad.

1 hour ago, Tacoma said:

Wow still can't believe the WNC Mountains haven't seen a couple of decent snows.  Don't think I've ever seen weather like this in my 68 years here.  Don't think a year has ever been this bad.

Yes it has happened in 2011/2012. Winter is not over yet though. Still plenty of time to score.

1 hour ago, Tacoma said:

People only remember the good years. 11-12 was a bad year 08-09 was the worst I can remember! There was a few other  bad winters in the early 2000's as well as the 90's. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

People only remember the good years. 11-12 was a bad year 08-09 was the worst I can remember! There was a few other  bad winters in the early 2000's as well as the 90's. 

That entire decade from about '99 to '09 was as bad as I can remember.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah we have a several bad years for sure. This winter is not over yet though. Sure it has been bad but we have a ton of variables on the table. 

We  can't seem to get the cold air to become well established just before the moisture gets here.  Like the end of this week coming we'll have the temps but no moisture, threading a needle isn't the word, LOL  :axe:

12z NAM and GFS both really upped the ante for late Wednesday into Thursday.  Solid 3+" for most above 4k feet.

No kidding the NAM is extremely bullish. Even has near a half inch at KAVL.

• Like 3