• Member Statistics

    15,780
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Xenesthis
    Newest Member
    Xenesthis
    Joined
Tyler Penland

2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Recommended Posts

I think the Piedmont is going to brown out this year. Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain were the saving grace last year for at least some decent color when the mountains busted, but this year you can see the stress in the trees already. I am hoping Lynn Cove will be a worthwhile trip at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was up on top of Pilot yesterday and across the VA line at my farm and both places have massive piles of brown leaves on the deck already.  Even my 40' tall tulip poplar here in the triad is 90% bare.  No color at all.  So I agree that anywhere outside the mountains is likely to miss out on the color, but not the crunch.  Wear those dustmasks sucking up those leaves!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, kvegas-wx said:

I was up on top of Pilot yesterday and across the VA line at my farm and both places have massive piles of brown leaves on the deck already.  Even my 40' tall tulip poplar here in the triad is 90% bare.  No color at all.  So I agree that anywhere outside the mountains is likely to miss out on the color, but not the crunch.  Wear those dustmasks sucking up those leaves!

It will make them easier to mulch. One pass and put away the mower for the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We will finally cool down to near normal this weekend but what has my eye is the following mid week when a true cold front pushed much colder air in here. We need the cooler weather and more moisture and I think we will get both.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I think the Piedmont is going to brown out this year. Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain were the saving grace last year for at least some decent color when the mountains busted, but this year you can see the stress in the trees already. I am hoping Lynn Cove will be a worthwhile trip at some point.

Was up on the Parkway over grandfather today (shot sunset out at Flat Rock) and still plenty of green so that's a plus. The ridges are running about 2 weeks behind average best I can tell but some decent color showing in the Boone fork area. All limited to the normal early change areas above 5kft though. Very little down at road level just yet.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

Was up on the Parkway over grandfather today (shot sunset out at Flat Rock) and still plenty of green so that's a plus. The ridges are running about 2 weeks behind average best I can tell but some decent color showing in the Boone fork area. All limited to the normal early change areas above 5kft though. Very little down at road level just yet.

 

Thank you and yeah that is what I am seeing in the reports as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After moving to Raleigh after going to school at App. Looking to move back to the mountains. I've been looking at areas that would be commutable to Asheville. Any recommendations for areas to look? Would like to live in a smaller town and of course the colder and snowier the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, NC_WX10 said:

After moving to Raleigh after going to school at App. Looking to move back to the mountains. I've been looking at areas that would be commutable to Asheville. Any recommendations for areas to look? Would like to live in a smaller town and of course the colder and snowier the better.

Lots of good options. Old Fort, Marion, Black Mtn (highly recommend). Of course, in my opinion, I consider those foothill areas. So take that as you will. Although it'll certainly be snowier than Raleigh - you'll just miss out on NWFS events. Someone else might could advise better on Mars Hill, Weaverville, Marshall etc. Not sure what the elevation in those areas brings. 

As someone who now lives in the foothills again, I miss the NWFS events. But it still pays off to be in the foothills during the big events coming from the Gulf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

Lots of good options. Old Fort, Marion, Black Mtn (highly recommend). Of course, in my opinion, I consider those foothill areas. So take that as you will. Although it'll certainly be snowier than Raleigh - you'll just miss out on NWFS events. Someone else might could advise better on Mars Hill, Weaverville, Marshall etc. Not sure what the elevation in those areas brings. 

As someone who now lives in the foothills again, I miss the NWFS events. But it still pays off to be in the foothills during the big events coming from the Gulf. 

Burnsville is a quaint/ nice town!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were looking at Weaverville, Marshall, Mars Hill and Burnsville before we ended up West of Waynesville in Balsam Gap.  Its 45 min to Asheville from our place, same as from Burnsville.  Weaverville puts you at 15 min, Marshall is around 30-45 which is the same as Mars Hill.  Have only spent the last couple months of winter (Feb through April this year) at the new place, but managed to get a dusting in really the last minor event of the season while town was just wet.  So that said, get above 3000' IMO to increase your snow chances; the higher the better of course.  We don't get as good of flow snow as they do over on Soco Gap or north of 40 in Haywood from what I've seen thus far but we do seem to sit at one of the precip max areas of the county it seems like.  As far as other areas when it comes to flow snow, the four I listed seem to all do good, especially Mars Hill and Burnsville.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NC_WX10 said:

After moving to Raleigh after going to school at App. Looking to move back to the mountains. I've been looking at areas that would be commutable to Asheville. Any recommendations for areas to look? Would like to live in a smaller town and of course the colder and snowier the better.

I live in Wolf Laurel, right along the state line at 4360'.  My wife works in downtown Asheville and it takes her 35-40 minutes to get there.  Were about 15 minutes from I-26. We get our fair share of snow (check my signature) and good nwfs.  Lots of homes for sale in my neighborhood...and we have a ski resort too...and the AT! You might want to check out Burnsville and Mars Hill as well.  Weaverville is nice but it's in Buncombe County and on the expensive side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies. I'll definitely have to look at those options. Really wish I could move back to Boone but just not many job opportunities there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did anyone else notice this? I'll take our chances in the mountains for some of that cold in the NE to CAD it's way down the mountains and give us some overrunning events like we've had the last few winters.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/accuweathers-2019-2020-us-winter-forecast/592125

While the Northeast braces for snow and cold, the Southeast is more likely to experience a wet couple of months.

Water temperatures from the Gulf of Mexico to the Southeast and mid-Atlantic coasts are running higher than normal, Pastelok said.

As storms move into the east early on in the season, the warm water could generate a significant amount of rain.

However, it’s not out of the question that the region could experience a winter storm, similar to last season, which brings snow or ice to areas like Winston-Salem, Charlotte or Asheville. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Better but still green. I think the colors will be fine just delayed.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mackerel_sky said:

Peak probably Nov 1st or so. For the majority of the mountains! Drought and heat really hurting things this year

Wash, rinse, repeat. Just like last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Peak probably Nov 1st or so. For the majority of the mountains! Drought and heat really hurting things this year

The mountains aren’t in as big of a drought as many believe. Everything is plenty green, we just need sustained cool nights.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Around here I think we are in trouble. Lots of brown patches and some trees are just shedding before any color. Last year was pretty horrible compared to the norm. We'll wait and see but just don't believe they're going to be all that pretty this year. Never seen a "delayed" peak season that was great. But as usual, there will be some areas that will have good color. If anyone is planning a trip up should get the local scoop from where they'll be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Never seen a "delayed" peak season that was great. But as usual, there will be some areas that will have good color.


So far I've seen some spotty areas that look really good from my photo friends on FB. I'm hoping to hike up the Boone fork bowl on Grandfather this Friday. That area has been good even when everything else sucks.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

Around here I think we are in trouble. Lots of brown patches and some trees are just shedding before any color. Last year was pretty horrible compared to the norm. We'll wait and see but just don't believe they're going to be all that pretty this year. Never seen a "delayed" peak season that was great. But as usual, there will be some areas that will have good color. If anyone is planning a trip up should get the local scoop from where they'll be.

Down here in Brevard, everything is still green and it’s still raining. I see no way it just browns out now. I think it’ll just be a delayed peak and I’ve seen some good ones every now and then...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

I do believe this is the first fantasy range high elevation nwf slush of the season showing up on the 12z GFS.  Not holding my breath, just nice to see signs of the seasons progressing. 

Screenshot_20191008-142315_Chrome.jpg

This would be about average for the high elevation areas for first flakes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anytime peak is delayed you are in trouble foliage wise. There is still some hope but I am sure it will be a shortened season with higher leaf drop during the best colors. How many years in a row has it been lackluster now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.