Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring 2019 New England Banter and Disco

HoarfrostHubb

47 minutes ago, alex said:

Epic skiing today but feels so cold being stuck in the 20s with flurries. Can't believe closing day is just a week away. 

051683D7-C3F9-400A-83D1-D31DE157A803.jpeg

Lots of rain coming.  Saturday looks great,  60's.  Rain starts Sunday PM and then we have to watch for flooding.  GFS spits out 2-4" of water in NNE over the next 10 days.  Hopefully can space out the rain events and keep temps in the 40's for the most part so runoff will be more gradual.  You don't need a repeat flood.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone along rivers in NNE with this deep snowcover.

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Wow that is impressive!

That is very interesting...never really explored concept of watershed and river flow. Might have to do this

Maybe a quadratic relationship - need 4X the water shed to double the peak flow?  Didn't quite work for 1987 in the Kennebec drainage - both the Sandy and Carrabassett rivers were a bit over 50,000 cfs, or 21-22% of the Kennebec peak.  Sandy has about 1/10 the watershed, while the steeper and lake-free Carrabassett about 1/16. 

14 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Did you have a hydrology class? My favorite and took some grad level too. Good stuff Tamarack Tom

We had to take oceanography...covered topics like Ekman pumping salinity of oceans, a bit with ocean currents, lapse rate of the ocean,...it was quite an interesting class. We didn't have hydrology though which would have been pretty sweet. 

Question for you guys.   There are no signs of spring up here.  No swelling of buds, grass (the little that is not under snow) is brown.  Are lawns turning green down there?  Usually, forsythia is the first bush that turns yellow and everything follows.  Does anyone bloom forsythia?  Hard to believe up here we are going to go from snowcover to full green up in a bit over a months time.

• Like 1

Forsythia in full bloom, crocuses come and gone, grape hyacinth and daffodils out, magnolias are gorgeous.

Everything is in slow motion though, here on the coast.  Day after day of mid 40s makes for incredibly slow growth.  You see every sign of spring pressing on, but its so sluggish all the way through to June.  And if it's foggy, it's even worse

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Question for you guys.   There are no signs of spring up here.  No swelling of buds, grass (the little that is not under snow) is brown.  Are lawns turning green down there?  Usually, forsythia is the first bush that turns yellow and everything follows.  Does anyone bloom forsythia?  Hard to believe up here we are going to go from snowcover to full green up in a bit over a months time.

A couple green blades here and there...but by and large....no. And no buds either.

• Like 1

Yes all lawns are greening .. buds on all species . Especially maples ... in the valley it’s much farther along. The forsythias are just beginning to bloom in the valley , and have a hint of yellow even here. Tulips are all up . Tiger Lily’s are breaking thru the soil etc... Spring is here

• Like 1

My soil temp is still 32° which is way late. I have green grass coming up along the west side of the house and buds are swelling on some of my trees. Other than that, not much is going on. My forsythia is budding too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yes all lawns are greening .. buds on all species . Especially maples ... in the valley it’s much farther along. The forsythias are just beginning to bloom in the valley , and have a hint of yellow even here. Tulips are all up . Tiger Lily’s are breaking thru the soil etc... Spring is here

Meh here some buds on Ash Maple but spotty green lawns. Hosta broke through the soil but its all late

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Forsythia starting to bloom in spots. Grass starting to green, and magnolia buds about to burst. Did see a few dog woods with those white flowers just starting. 

This time of year is when the climo difference between coastal and valley locations really show up. I can travel less than a quarter mile into our valley and see the difference even this morning. 

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

How much they get?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

With winds to 60

4/11/2019 3 NNW NORBECK, SD 25
10:03 am EDT - 4/11/2019 5 W MANSFIELD, SD 24.5
06:00 pm EDT - 4/11/2019 2 W IDEAL, SD 24
06:01 pm EDT - 4/11/2019 5 N HAMILL, SD 24
12:00 am EDT - 4/12/2019 2 SSE HURON, SD 23
10:30 pm EDT - 4/11/2019 3 NNE HURON, SD 22
06:10 pm EDT - 4/11/2019 1 NE HURON, SD 20.5
02:30 pm EDT - 4/11/2019 WALLACE, SD 20
08:08 pm EDT - 4/11/2019 3 S CLEAR LAKE, SD 18

Screenshot_20190412-073834_Chrome.jpg

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Probably some records for April

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Their big snow events tend to be on the edges of winter...so Oct/Nov and Apr. But yeah, it may be records regardless considering the amounts some places received.

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

This time of year is when the climo difference between coastal and valley locations really show up. I can travel less than a quarter mile into our valley and see the difference even this morning. 

Steve,  really apperant here with snowcover.  Almost nothing 600 feet below while still mostly covered up here.  That should all change tomorrow.

12 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Not up north.....still full on winter with feet of ice on lakes and ponds 

Ice is still tight white on Long Pond in Belgrade.  Season opened there April 1, but have seen very few anglers at the dam in the village.  Usually there's 3-4 or more each day casting into whatever water that's been kept open by the dam outflow.  Cold, wind, and pike now dominating the fishery there may all be dimming angler interest.