Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

There's a lot of uncertainty and mixed signals over the coming 1-2 weeks. I'm not sold either way with the nao but I do strongly believe we're getting more snow this month no matter what the NAO does. That's a far better feeling than things looking hopeless and hostile.

Huh...So, could we say, perhaps...

Scenario 1: get the neg nao and classic coastal potential is there or

Scenario 2: no neg nao help, we get more nickel and dime and events (and far from a shutout), but perhaps no classic coastal?

52 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Huh...So, could we say, perhaps...

Scenario 1: get the neg nao and classic coastal potential is there or

Scenario 2: no neg nao help, we get more nickel and dime and events (and far from a shutout), but perhaps no classic coastal?

That's not what I said. The majority of our 4" storms or greater are when the AO is negative regardless of the state of the nao. The AO ranks higher than the NAO with correlation to snowfall in the midatlantic. We've had plenty of 6-12"+ storms over the years without a -nao. So I wouldn't say small events only without a -nao.

Check out this article. It's actually pretty relavent to the stuff we've been talking about all year and an excellent explantion of things that all snow weenies should know. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/11/12/what-the-different-weather-patterns-might-mean-for-snow-this-winter/?utm_term=.9b5c226aedae

Check this out. All our snow events happened this year with the AO negative. The large storm in Jan happened when the AO was climbing from very negative. That correlation this year isn't random.

ao.sprd2.gif

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

That's not what I said. The majority of our 4" storms or greater are when the AO is negative regardless of the state of the nao. The AO ranks higher than the NAO with correlation to snowfall in the midatlantic. We've had plenty of 6-12"+ storms over the years without a -nao. So I wouldn't say small events only without a -nao.

Check out this article. It's actually pretty relavent to the stuff we've been talking about all year and an excellent explantion of things that all snow weenies should know. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/11/12/what-the-different-weather-patterns-might-mean-for-snow-this-winter/?utm_term=.9b5c226aedae

Interesting article.  I shudder to think that it was written on the cusp of the "alleged December" of 2015.  At you guys got a good storm in January.

5 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Interesting article.  I shudder to think that it was written on the cusp of the "alleged December" of 2015.  At you guys got a good storm in January.

The only time the ao was meaningfully negative the whole winter was right before that storm. Same with the nao. Incredible stroke of luck during a season that couldn't have been much worse otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The only time the ao was meaningfully negative the whole winter was right before that storm. Same with the nao. Incredible stroke of luck during a season that couldn't have been much worse otherwise.

So I think that I read on here that strong El Ninos tend to dampen the magnitude of the mjo.  So I am guessing that it wasn't much of a factor that winter?

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

One thing I don’t like on the 0z gefs that isn’t Uber long range...it degraded the look for the day 10-12 threat. 18z had a much better high pressure representation. Way too much weakness and opens the door to cut on the 0z imo. 

18z

23DC8DDC-641E-484F-9C56-EBDC0BB62847.thumb.png.3ffc3f4d59e7dd73e62d9f193a7e230e.png

0z

A23420E4-0EFA-4FA5-8000-670518D8E6F3.thumb.png.14c1c3cfe362392be042b8acea44e40a.png

Wanna see another forum meltdown session? Keep posting what ya don't like about the GEFS...lol

5 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Wanna see another forum meltdown session? Keep posting what ya don't like about the GEFS...lol

I think we are beyond the meltdown stage. I’ve seen the GFS op runs trend worse plenty of times but not all that often a lot better.  These last 2 were bad.  Will see what Euro looks like. 

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

The heavy hitters aren’t out yet. I’m not making any judgements on the 0z until we see the euro products later. Just analyzing the run. But I didn’t like the high pressure representation as much. But in general I think the gefs is out to lunch with the mjo and so everything is shows is suspect.  On the other hand the gem and jma agrees with its mjo more than the euro so nothing is a lock. There are a lot of conflicting signals showing up and confidence is extremely low even for long range right now. But I’m not going to only point out good things each run to placate the emotionally unstable. I do point out the good.  (There are still some nice snowstorms on the gefs members)  I’m not debbing. But the bad is there too and people should have all the evidence and then can make their own assessments. 

14 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The heavy hitters aren’t out yet. I’m not making any judgements on the 0z until we see the euro products later. Just analyzing the run. But I didn’t like the high pressure representation as much. But in general I think the gefs is out to lunch with the mjo and so everything is shows is suspect.  On the other hand the gem and jma agrees with its mjo more than the euro so nothing is a lock. There are a lot of conflicting signals showing up and confidence is extremely low even for long range right now. But I’m not going to only point out good things each run to placate the emotionally unstable. I do point out the good.  (There are still some nice snowstorms on the gefs members)  I’m not debbing. But the bad is there too and people should have all the evidence and then can make their own assessments. 

True...Gotta take the good runs with the bad, look at the larger picture #wxmaturity

5 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

:deadhorse: dude go see a movie and yell fire lol there is a slight difference between pointing out the good and bad of a run vs what you're doing. I'll let others determine on their own.

And Bristow....dude...you're world famous for op run panic...relax man...it's only snow bro.

In the famous words of the comic Dom Irrera...."no offense"

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

:deadhorse: dude go see a movie and yell fire lol there is a slight difference between pointing out the good and bad of a run vs what you're doing. I'll let others determine on their own.

And Bristow....dude...you're world famous for op run panic...relax man...it's only snow bro.

In the famous words of the comic Dom Irrera...."no offense"

EPS kinda makes me wanna yell fire, but I wont.

• Haha 1