• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

Was away for the weekend (beach.....lol....ugh...lol...happy wife.....blah blah blah.) :)

Nice little break from the dumpster fire of late.  My sanity needed it.  

Looks nice and I sure hope it verifies.  Not paying much attention beyond this week as its been such a yo yo....I'm too dizzy to wanna look.

I'll just enjoy my 1 week winter and see where we go from there.

Glad to see you guys in CTP scored again overnight.  Maps showed it, but I thought 1 r 2"....not 4.  Gotta love an overachiever.

Mount Holly is rather busllish wrt to the Poconos. One county and about 5 miles east of me and watches are hoisted. Lets see what CTP does...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ 237 PM EST Sun Jan 27 2019 Carbon-Monroe- Including the cities of Jim Thorpe and Stroudsburg 237 PM EST Sun Jan 27 2019 ...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH WEDNESDAY MORNING... * WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 8 inches possible. * WHERE...Carbon and Monroe counties. * WHEN...From 7AM Tuesday through 7AM Wednesday. * ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Travel could be very difficult on icy and snow covered roads. The hazardous conditions could impact the Tuesday morning and evening commutes.

CTP's map might be a tad conservative back in the central counties when factoring in their own probability products they have plus WPC's products which seem to bullseye UNV/IPT. The SREF's are pretty charged up too. 

day2_psnow_gt_04.gif.b2171c552760593a2c093a39fc464930.gif

Clearly WPC (as of their late afternoon issuance) favors a more NW axis to this but models have seemed to tend towards the east with the potential enhanced snowfall that would represent an axis of say, 4+. Esp the Euro, which had favored this type of scenario but really shifted east the last couple runs, progressing the front and not really popping the coastal low until to the NE with a less robust shortwave. It's a more progressive look that even alot of the Sus Valley was almost too far west for. 

I see this event evolving primarily around a several hour period of snow associated with a nice ribbon of forcing along the frontal boundary ushering in the arctic air. Embedded in that could be a intense band of snow with the actual front. The far southern tier may initially be a bit warm at the surface with some mixing at the beginning or snow that may not accumulate immediately. Snow ratios will progressively get better as the arctic air blasts into the column. So with that alone I would foresee a forum-wide 1-3" with scattered higher amounts as the base minimum. Now a negatively tilted trough with some coastal development could linger this enhanced area of precip over a given area, thus the threat for perhaps warning level snows. I would expect patchy upslope snows to linger in the interior counties for a time with the arctic air coming in. Primary worry is the precip hole being portrayed on models in the south central counties. Parent low goes to the lakes with secondary coastal development so some westerly downslope component could be in play, although I think the good dynamics/forcing will mitigate that to a degree. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

CTP's map might be a tad conservative back in the central counties when factoring in their own probability products they have plus WPC's products which seem to bullseye UNV/IPT. The SREF's are pretty charged up too. 

day2_psnow_gt_04.gif.b2171c552760593a2c093a39fc464930.gif

Clearly WPC (as of their late afternoon issuance) favors a more NW axis to this but models have seemed to tend towards the east with the potential enhanced snowfall that would represent an axis of say, 4+. Esp the Euro, which had favored this type of scenario but really shifted east the last couple runs, progressing the front and not really popping the coastal low until to the NE with a less robust shortwave. It's a more progressive look that even alot of the Sus Valley was almost too far west for. 

I see this event evolving primarily around a several hour period of snow associated with a nice ribbon of forcing along the frontal boundary ushering in the arctic air. Embedded in that could be a intense band of snow with the actual front. The far southern tier may initially be a bit warm at the surface with some mixing at the beginning or snow that may not accumulate immediately. Snow ratios will progressively get better as the arctic air blasts into the column. So with that alone I would foresee a forum-wide 1-3" with scattered higher amounts as the base minimum. Now a negatively tilted trough with some coastal development could linger this enhanced area of precip over a given area, thus the threat for perhaps warning level snows. I would expect patchy upslope snows to linger in the interior counties for a time with the arctic air coming in. Primary worry is the precip hole being portrayed on models in the south central counties. Parent low goes to the lakes with secondary coastal development so some westerly downslope component could be in play, although I think the good dynamics/forcing will mitigate that to a degree. 

Thanks for the write up Mag! Wasn't quite sure what to think with the models trending East yesterday.

11 degrees here this morning.

18 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Every hour that goes by makes this look like more and more of an Eastern PA threat as to breaking 2". 

yeah not sure who to believe as probabilistic maps still have 3-4 deep into ctp w/ Pocono and surrounding as jackpot.  

I've always been too far SE for this one and never bought in as this setup screams heartbreak for me, as I have no lift down here....just downsloping that is a thief in the night....or day.

I'll take whatever I can get and hope that we get a little more before we warm next week.  I did peek and uber long range looks transient warm with potentially better blocking in the ever too elusive NAO domain space.  Still time for back points but we need a full on reversal quick as we are mid second period and need to break this kids meteo full nelson. 

3 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Looks like the NAM suite wants to shift everything south and east. The Pocono jackpot appears now to be a Lehigh Valley jackpot.

yep.  second band seems to be an ABE special.  I'd still think Poconos still do alright w/ lift.  I'd bet 4-6 in and @ that area will be common.

45 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

heck you should have a nice snowpack forming.  Just north of you got 4-5 yesterday.  Many reports on my snowmobile pages.  

You know Nut if you would just move up north for the winter a lot of your problems would be solved.:snowing:

picture for yesterday's warning you mentioned.

image.jpg