Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2019 Obs and Discussion

MAG5035

5 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

Fun times ahead lol. I am growing concerned with flood threat despite no attention from nws...also sounds like County public safety is as well.

I think any flooding issues would be of the smaller stream and especially poor drainage variety. Good bit of rain incoming but it probably isn't going warm up enough in the interior counties to wipe out what was already an icy snowpack. NWS Pit put watches up for their counties but they're west of the Alleghenies where warm air via SW flow will get to the surface more easily 

Temps continue to hover right around freezing and there's still some ice accrual ongoing on cold surfaces. Had to resalt the driveway cuz ice was starting to take it over again. There's still patchy ice and slushy areas on even some of the more travelled roads. We had started the day early this morning in the upper teens so it's going to take a bigger spike in temps to completely end the ice issues. Pretty big difference between Altoona city and KAOO (Blair County Airport). Most meso obs around town are 32-33ºF while KAOO 15 miles south all the way up to 42ºF. 

Alright, I took a couple of hours today and was able to download all the daily snowfall data for Harrisburg from 10/1/1957 till 4/30/2018.  Broke the data into 5 year groupings and some bins and come up with the data below.  Tomorrow I'll see if I can get things into a shared googlesheet and share the link.  It should be noted that up until 9/30/1991 the observations at Harrisburg was taken at the Capital City Airport.  Enjoy!

screenshot-docs.google.com-2019.01.23-23-45-01.png

screenshot-docs.google.com-2019.01.23-23-45-25.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Temp spike here.

I sat down at the desktop about 15 minutes ago and it was 50 degrees. Now it's up to 56 degrees. It's too bad we can't sneak out one full day of this mild air (even with the rain) before the temps crash post FROPA...

Let me know how much of your snow/ice pack you have left after the event, I'm going on a trip up there this weekend, Lake Harmony region.  Thanks!

The extremes and precip amounts in your sig, are they for ABE?

11 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Let me know how much of your snow/ice pack you have left after the event, I'm going on a trip up there this weekend, Lake Harmony region.  Thanks!

The extremes and precip amounts in your sig, are they for ABE?

We are holding our piddly snowpack quite well. We got an inch and a half of rain Saturday night/Sunday morning on 2.5" of snow. Then it froze into a rock. I don't think we'll be warm enough, long enough to lose all of it. As for my sig, I have a backyard weather station, so those numbers are for Tamaqua proper.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Voyager said:

We are holding our piddly snowpack quite well. We got an inch and a half of rain Saturday night/Sunday morning on 2.5" of snow. Then it froze into a rock. I don't think we'll be warm enough, long enough to lose all of it. As for my sig, I have a backyard weather station, so those numbers are for Tamaqua proper.

Thanks I was wondering what the all time highs and lows you've recorded there are.  I think our highest was during the July 2010 heatwave and our lowest was probably in Jan 1985 or Jan 1994.

I'm pretty sure this past year has the all time precip record- not sure if 1983 or 2011 topped that.

7 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Alright, I took a couple of hours today and was able to download all the daily snowfall data for Harrisburg from 10/1/1957 till 4/30/2018.  Broke the data into 5 year groupings and some bins and come up with the data below.  Tomorrow I'll see if I can get things into a shared googlesheet and share the link.  It should be noted that up until 9/30/1991 the observations at Harrisburg was taken at the Capital City Airport.  Enjoy!

Wow, this is great, thank you.  So the data does show we have had less of the moderate snows falls in the last 2-3 decades but it goes beyond that with less snow fall events all together.  Also MDT only had 1 snowfall over 15" during the 45 year period of 1948-1992 and then a Bigly 7 over the 25 year period 93-18.  Something has changed whether global warming or another natural climate phenomena.

I have another observation.  Even if public internet had existed for all of that first 45 year period, boards like this would not be nearly as popular as they are now as many people here live for the MECS and HECs.  Having 7 in the last 25 years has spurred on this hobby.

53 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks I was wondering what the all time highs and lows you've recorded there are.  I think our highest was during the July 2010 heatwave and our lowest was probably in Jan 1985 or Jan 1994.

I'm pretty sure this past year has the all time precip record- not sure if 1983 or 2011 topped that.

I've only been in Tamaqua since 2001, so I don't know about times prior. Since my arrival, -10 and 101 were my records. Rainfall, of course came this year. The snowpack is taking a hit now with the heavy rain and a temp that is sitting at 59 degrees (we briefly hit 60 a little while ago) so I don't know how much will be left when all is said and done. today.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I've only been in Tamaqua since 2001, so I don't know about times prior. Since my arrival, -10 and 101 were my records. Rainfall, of course came this year. The snowpack is taking a hit now with the heavy rain and a temp that is sitting at 59 degrees (we briefly hit 60 a little while ago) so I don't know how much will be left when all is said and done. today.

wow 60! that was unexpected

Wow, this is great, thank you.  So the data does show we have had less of the moderate snows falls in the last 2-3 decades but it goes beyond that with less snow fall events all together.  Also MDT only had 1 snowfall over 15" during the 45 year period of 1948-1992 and then a Bigly 7 over the 25 year period 93-18.  Something has changed whether global warming or another natural climate phenomena.
I have another observation.  Even if public internet had existed for all of that first 45 year period, boards like this would not be nearly as popular as they are now as many people here live for the MECS and HECs.  Having 7 in the last 25 years has spurred on this hobby.

The records start in 1941, I think I may go all the way back to start in the next few weeks. Also, as I mentioned before, up until 9/30/91 the observations were taken at Capital City Airport in New Cumberland. They are only about 5 miles apart, but has yearly precipitation totals consistently lower than KMDT at Harrisburg Airport. I think it was the last 18/20 or 19/20 years. Some years it was >10% lower, which I found amazing for such a short distance. I did notice most of the discrepancy occurred in the summer months I believe, but not all.

For a couple years after KMDT moved no observations were taken at KCXY. I’m going to try to compare observations for snow events where we have overlapping data.

. Pro
  • Thanks 1