• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2019

gravitylover

Well, after spending $2k that we didn't have to take down 3 weak, leaning 80 footers yesterday before the storm we lost 2 60 footers today. The ones we had taken down yesterday were either leaning towards ours or the neighbors houses and they were sketchy so they needed to go, the ones today fell harmlessly into the yard. Unfortunately they badly damaged trees that were otherwise healthy and fine. Man, I'm gonna have firewood for years. I need a big boy chainsaw and a Granberg mill so I can slab some of this stuff up and make some nice furniture. I've got maple, ash, elm, hickory and chokecherry down now.

Temp is down to 22 and the wind is light out of the N.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Well, after spending $2k that we didn't have to take down 3 weak, leaning 80 footers yesterday before the storm we lost 2 60 footers today. The ones we had taken down yesterday were either leaning towards ours or the neighbors houses and they were sketchy so they needed to go, the ones today fell harmlessly into the yard. Unfortunately they badly damaged trees that were otherwise healthy and fine. Man, I'm gonna have firewood for years. I need a big boy chainsaw and a Granberg mill so I can slab some of this stuff up and make some nice furniture. I've got maple, ash, elm, hickory and chokecherry down now.

Temp is down to 22 and the wind is light out of the N.

How’s the recovery going, how are you feeling?

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

How’s the recovery going, how are you feeling?

I'm feeling pretty good all things considered. I'm getting tired of just sitting around 'waiting' to get better. The docs, the wife, pretty much everyone I know keeps saying 'relax, it'll be ok, you'll get better...' I need to do something other than walk around the supermarket where it's flat and warm, I'm fkn bored out of my mind. I have the patience of a NYer and it's not serving me well ;) 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I'm feeling pretty good all things considered. I'm getting tired of just sitting around 'waiting' to get better. The docs, the wife, pretty much everyone I know keeps saying 'relax, it'll be ok, you'll get better...' I need to do something other than walk around the supermarket where it's flat and warm, I'm fkn bored out of my mind. I have the patience of a NYer and it's not serving me well ;) 

The brain says go and the body says no. Take it slow and in a little more time you will be back.:thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

Fines?

Also wood stove is cranking. Down to 23 from a 12:30 pm high of 37. 

Yeah if they can track the runoff back to a particular property the DEP can fine you for using the wrong herbicides and pesticides. I solved the problem by ignoring things like that and fertilizing a long time ago. I mean really, who wants a lawn that grows faster and thicker anyway. Not me ;) I haven't heard of people getting hassled by them for using the wrong type of ice melt but it's on the books so I try to avoid using certain things just so we don't have a problem.

22 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah it's just tough when you're used to being so active and always moving to just sit around and do nothing.

In time this shall pass.

I know your dealing with a lot more serious than a broken foot, but I broke mine four years ago and was going insane not being able to do much of anything including driving for three weeks. It's just gonna make you appreciate it more when your back to full power. It's coming just listen to the Docs.

• Thanks 1

I didn't start making hay with regard to radiating until after 5 am when the winds finally died down. After hovering around 0 all night, the temp dropped to -4.5 just before 8 am when the sun crested over the ridge.

It's worth noting that fresh, fluffy snow would be a much better radiator than the glacier we have. I would have no way to even speculate on the quantitative difference it makes, but presumably it's not trivial.

Then you have the nearly full Moon, which has been shown to warm the BL by a couple hundredths of a degree...

• Like 2

I saw 2 on a couple of local stations and 4 on the others. It was plenty cold :yikes:  It's not like I'm looking forward to a drenching rainstorm but it will be nice to get ride of some of this ice. I have a feeling it's going to be kind of a disaster though as there's no place for the new water to go with everything frozen solid.

I saw 2 on a couple of local stations and 4 on the others. It was plenty cold :yikes:  It's not like I'm looking forward to a drenching rainstorm but it will be nice to get ride of some of this ice. I have a feeling it's going to be kind of a disaster though as there's no place for the new water to go with everything frozen solid.
This may be a bit off tangent but I'm curious why last night felt colder than the night before. Both were extremely windy but Sunday night was colder in actuality, so why was it so much colder FEELING last night?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, nycemt123 said:

This may be a bit off tangent but I'm curious why last night felt colder than the night before. Both were extremely windy but Sunday night was colder in actuality, so why was it so much colder FEELING last night?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

check the zipper on your trousers! I kid, I skied a run yesterday after taking a tinkle in the woods and neglected to zip up my ski pants.  it was quite chilly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In their morning discussion OKX doesn't seem to be too concerned with the icing potential later today and this evening. It seems to me that with the whole area being a solid block of ice and the streets, sidewalks and everything else being frozen several inches down any liquid that falls has the potential to freeze especially with ALL of the drainages and storm drains filled with ice and ice banks right up to the edge of the traffic lanes keeping whatever falls in the traffic lanes. I foresee a difficult time ahead.

15 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

In their morning discussion OKX doesn't seem to be too concerned with the icing potential later today and this evening. It seems to me that with the whole area being a solid block of ice and the streets, sidewalks and everything else being frozen several inches down any liquid that falls has the potential to freeze especially with ALL of the drainages and storm drains filled with ice and ice banks right up to the edge of the traffic lanes keeping whatever falls in the traffic lanes. I foresee a difficult time ahead.

I was kind of wondering about ice jams. Seems like even a short-lived period of 50s would be enough to loosen things up, maybe?