Total Members
    Most Online
    NJRunner
    Newest Member
    NJRunner
Amos83

December 8-10 Winter Storm Obs

2 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

The HRRR did show it temporarily shifting back south before the "real" push north. Hopefully that happens. This is some really good accumulating snow.

I'm also impresses with the temp drop. Currently at 29.6.  

It has been consistent in showing that which is encouraging. I noticed the 6z NAM also wanted to shift the transition zone back south after briefly pushing it northward.

The rates are amazing right now!

1 minute ago, NCBlizzard said:

It has been consistent in showing that which is encouraging. I noticed the 6z NAM also wanted to shift the transition zone back south after briefly pushing it northward.

Looks like snow is building behind the ice band

deZmGft.gif

Just now, NCBlizzard said:

With this band, every hour we can stay snow could be an additional 1-2" (at least).  

Getting bigger flakes starting to mix in with th smaller ones. My guess is the sleet line is moving back closer to me now. Street is completely covered with a solid half inch of sleet/snow accum.

Windis howling out there at the moment. Snow going nearly horizontal at times.

1 minute ago, ajr said:

Looks like snow is building behind the ice band

deZmGft.gif

I saw that. It actually looks like the ice band could be light returns (which is ice), and when it get heavy again behind the band it goes back to snow. At least I'm hoping for that. 

4 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

With this band, every hour we can stay snow could be an additional 1-2" (at least).  

We are at 32 ( never modeled to get lower than 33-34 ) got a solid 1"on the ground, 2" on elevated surfaces and the roads and sidewalks are flashing over.....so this band means business even way down here in eastern NC....

Just now, Queencitywx said:

The intensity of this snow might only be rivaled by 3/2009 for me. Probably pushing 3.5-4 just eyeballing it.

I'm right with you. I would like to know what the snowfall per hour rate is right now. 

I saw that. It actually looks like the ice band could be light returns (which is ice), and when it get heavy again behind the band it goes back to snow. At least I'm hoping for that. 

Still all snow here in pitt county. Hope this stays snow a little longer for all of us. It's been impressive so far as far as flake sizes and rates.

Just absolutely ripping outside, looks like a wall of white. Visibility greatly reduced and sitting on 30 degrees. Got about 2” on the ground and that number will increase rapidly with the rates we’re currently seeing. 

1 minute ago, downeastnc said:

We are at 32 ( never modeled to get lower than 33-34 ) got a solid 1"on the ground, 2" on elevated surfaces and the roads and sidewalks are flashing over.....so this band means business even way down here in eastern NC....

Man I'm glad you've been able to join the party. 

• Like 2

Man I'm glad you've been able to join the party. 

Looking at the CC loop above you can see that snow crash back south over the coastal plains. Hope that stays that way and that the colder air is more entrenched and you guys out west can avoid too many mixing issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, weatherheels said:

Just absolutely ripping outside, looks like a wall of white. Visibility greatly reduced and sitting on 30 degrees. Got about 2” on the ground and that number will increase rapidly with the rates we’re currently seeing. 

Just measured 4" on the snow board here off Piney Grove. 

5 minutes ago, Poimen said:

6 minutes ago, Poimen said:

Really?   Not using a board, but just eyeballing I would say we are very close to 6

1 minute ago, CentralNC said:

Really?   Not using a board, but just eyeballing I would say we are very close to 6

Yep. after the sun comes up I'll take three yard measurements and compare. 

Early onset here in the northeastern part of North Carolina. Moderate snow and the ground is covered. This was modeled better by the HRRR than by NAM. Would not be surprised to see these conditions in the vicinity of Norfolk.