Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Pics and video out of Jay Peak suggest its not that light.

It's been snowing pretty steadily.  Now that I'm home, taking the dog for her evening walk on the Rec Path.  Almost a fresh inch at home so far and coming down.

We do live in a snowy climate up here.  Love these unexpected snowy nights.

IBEaKGq.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Looks like it in the sun rays , clear sky and snowing, how great is that

I think it's just upslope squeezing out every last bit of moisture out of the air. At some point it becomes hard to differentiate though. I've seen true IC though and although they slowly fall, they almost appear suspended and glittery when the sun hits them versus regularly falling snowflakes. Technically diamond dust (IC) is just a cirrus cloud at ground level just like how fog is a cloud at ground level. A cirrus cloud is a precipitating cloud so IC do slowly fall to the surface. And since they are a cirrus cloud, you get all of the same parhelia and halo effects from the morning sun.

I see that we’ve got Winter Weather Advisories up ahead of the next storm to affect the area, which has been named Winter Storm Eboni.  Similar to the storm from Dec 20-22, surface low pressure is passing to the west of the New England, but this one has more anticipated frozen precipitation on the front side.  Hence we’ve got more widespread advisories throughout the region.  Related maps from the BTV NWS are below:

27DEC18A.jpg

27DEC18B.jpg

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think it's just upslope squeezing out every last bit of moisture out of the air. At some point it becomes hard to differentiate though. I've seen true IC though and although they slowly fall, they almost appear suspended and glittery when the sun hits them versus regularly falling snowflakes. Technically diamond dust (IC) is just a cirrus cloud at ground level just like how fog is a cloud at ground level. A cirrus cloud is a precipitating cloud so IC do slowly fall to the surface. And since they are a cirrus cloud, you get all of the same parhelia and halo effects from the morning sun.

What does ic strand for?

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Although looking again, it's hard to tell from the stream if the full image is "glittery" or if it's pixels bouncing around. I see wx2fish lurking...he probably has more experience with it up in far N NH.

I did see legit flakes but also saw in a sun beam that was pointed to the ground what looked like dust, anyways I am jelly to the max over that spot

5 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

So many of the birch trees around my property are at low angles after the heavy wet snow we had.  A few hours of ice on them will just be another blow.  I don't think they will ever recover.  

They probably won't, After the ice storm here back in 1998, They didn't recover much if anything at all.

models, particularly the Hi-res NAM, suggest that a low level E/NE 
ageostrophic component to the wind persists through mid morning 
Friday. This may tend to lock in the low level cold air across 
portions of the southern Adirondacks, Mohawk Valley and SE VT, 
especially once reinforced by wet bulb cooling. For these areas, 
have raised ice accretion to 0.10-0.25", with locally higher amts 
possible. Combined with some wind later tonight, have added mention 
of isolated power outages to these areas within the WSW statement. 
Elsewhere, expect ice accretion of a trace to up to one tenth of an 
inch, with no ice currently expected within the mid Hudson Valley 
region.

There remains some concern given such low initial dewpoints this 
afternoon, and with the aforementioned low level E/NE ageostrophic 
wind component, that freezing rain may linger in some areas, 
particularly north of I-90, well into Friday morning or closer to 
noontime. If this potential increases, then the end times of current 
Winter Weather Advisories may need to be extended until closer to 
noon. This potential would be greatest within portions of the 
central/eastern Mohawk Valley extending into the Lake 
George/Saratoga region, as well as across extreme SE VT.

I checked on the available 7-day totals to get a sense for how much snow the Vermont ski areas have seen since the warm part of last weekend’s system.  North to south listings are below:

Jay Peak: 12”

Burke: 2”

Smuggler’s Notch: 10”

Stowe: 3”

Bolton Valley: 7”

Pico: 5”

Killington: 5”

Bromley: 3”

Magic Mountain: 2”

Mount Snow: 2”

I’m not sure that the Stowe total makes much sense based on the surrounding areas, but that’s what they’ve got so maybe there was less snow on the east side of the spine for some reason?

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I gave PF props to our family near BTV. They ski a lot (just brought some great beer) and I mentioned Scott. My cousin in law follows him...says he has a good blog! I told him he knows his stuff when it comes to mountain meteorology. 

He can pick up a moose fart as good as anyone!