• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

I’ve added the updated maps from the BTV NWS for the latest winter storm expected to affect the area.  One update is that on the advisories map, the edge of upgraded Winter Storm Warnings that head from NNH up into Maine are visible.  On the accumulations map, it looks like accumulations in the northern half of Vermont are a little more evenly distributed east of the Greens, whereas the previous map had some even heavier pockets in the NEK.

31DEC18A.jpg

31DEC18B.jpg

4 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Think he said he is in the 1000-1100ft range down the east slope near Jamaica.

Yep, they events are awful for SVT.  The west slopes stand no chance where I am, just immediate torch with no CAD abilities. The east slopes can hold and higher elevations too, but like you said mid levels just torch so quickly.

Yeah 1200’ in a pretty deep ravine off pikes falls road. It’s a great CAD spot. I would rather be higher up but beggars can’t be choosers since it’s a share house. 

Some pretty good rime forming on top of Stratton now with the cloud deck moving in.

thinking 3” here now before Ice. Precip looks good and cold on radar in Pa with the initials batch

Event totals: 0.8” Snow/0.53” L.E.

Similar to what PF observed in Stowe, the precipitation here in Waterbury was a mix of snow and sleet in the evening, then it changed over to liquid at some point overnight.  The liquid equivalent split here was 0.41” frozen and 0.12” liquid thus far, with a definite gain to the snowpack as the models suggested.  The precipitation has mostly shut off for now, but the radar suggests that the changeover back to snow is just across the lake in the Adirondacks and should be here pretty soon.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.0

Snow Density: 50.0% H2O

Temperature: 42.4 F

Sky:  Light Rain

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

6 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 0.8” Snow/0.53” L.E.

Similar to what PF observed in Stowe, the precipitation here in Waterbury was a mix of snow and sleet in the evening, then it changed over to liquid at some point overnight.  The liquid equivalent split here was 0.41” frozen and 0.12” liquid thus far, with a definite gain to the snowpack as the models suggested.  The precipitation has mostly shut off for now, but the radar suggests that the changeover back to snow is just across the lake in the Adirondacks and should be here pretty soon.

New Snow: 0.2 inches

New Liquid: 0.10 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 2.0

Snow Density: 50.0% H2O

Temperature: 42.4 F

Sky:  Light Rain

Can’t come soon enough.  Was about as ugly as it gets this morning.  Raining and blowing hard.

Another cutter, another blank. Started briefly as sleet/snow mix but it went to pretty much straight sleet and then freezing rain. It was just barely below freezing and the rain was heavy, so it didn't appear to accrete much as it just dripped off the branches before it could really glaze. Now it's just dry CAA with no backside upslope. :axe:

This icy mix, rain, and then dry CAA (maybe we get some tiny snow grain flurries from the upslope stratus, but that's about it) nonsense is really getting old fast. Extremely frustrating, especially when areas to my NE in NH and ME actually have warmer surface temperatures and are getting snow. Plymouth, NH gets 4" and a net gain out of this. It's all about the midlevels...

Temperature held at 32° F until the cold front came through around 6:30 AM and mixed me out. Briefly spiked to 42° F, now 34° F and dropping so everything is refreezing. Pretty much no melt of the existing glacier leftover from Snowvember.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

There hasn’t been much happening out there yet this morning, and there’s not much visible on the radar, but we’ve got some flakes appearing now.

Same here, but very small flake size. Yesterdays discussion mentioned a decent chance of upslope after this storm, not sure if this is it or we will get something more substantial 

December snowfall is in the books now, so we can take a look at how it compares to average, and see how the season is progressing at our site.  With 25.1” of snow, this December was certainly on the lean side, running in the 60-70% range relative to average snowfall.  It could potentially be considered in the bottom of the pack “range”, but there have certainly been even leaner Decembers, including 2014 (24.9”), 2011 (24.7”), 2006 (20.2”), and of course in a crazy league of its own, 2015 (10.6”).

I’ve also got a bit of seasonal data below as we’re now 32.2% of the way through the typical snowfall season here:

An interesting note this year is that November snowfall (34.3”) actually beat out December snowfall (25.1”), and that’s the first record of that happening in my data set.

Although total snowfall for December was off its average pace, the weather pattern has certainly remained active, with 15 accumulating storms for the month.  Combined with 10 accumulating storms in November, and another 4 in October, this season is blowing away other seasons in that regard.  The 29 storms this season as of January 1st is the highest I’ve seen, surpassing 2013-2014, which was at 24 storms by this point.  We’ve certainly had Decembers with more storms than this one, but getting 14 storms before December even started is really unprecedented, and that’s what put this season on its current record pace.

The snowpack at 7.0” here is a few inches on the lean side of average, but overall not unusual.

Finally, in terms of overall snowfall, the current season total of 62.3” is still ahead of average by about 12”, so the season as a whole is doing quite well on snowfall.

1 hour ago, alex said:

Same here, but very small flake size. Yesterdays discussion mentioned a decent chance of upslope after this storm, not sure if this is it or we will get something more substantial 

Yeah, we’ll have to see.  There’s not much upstream moisture visible on the regional radar, and flakes have been small like you said (1-2 mm diameter here), but there has been an uptick in the snowfall rate and accumulation with this latest pulse I see on the composite radar:

01JAN19A.gif

@OceanStWx

What's the deal with SLSN3 now? We used to get the automated 15 or so minute obs, but now it's strictly just a COOP with a morning climo report? What is the 24hr time period for them? 7am or is it 5z? I used to compare my w.e. with them in synoptic events, but it's hard now for events that cross 5z since I end my day at that time.

I'd see if it was on the raw COOP monthly reports online, but yeah, shutdown. :axe:

Just now, dendrite said:

@OceanStWx

What's the deal with SLSN3 now? We used to get the automated 15 or so minute obs, but now it's strictly just a COOP with a morning climo report? What is the 24hr time period for them? 7am or is it 5z? I used to compare my w.e. with them in synoptic events, but it's hard now for events that cross 5z since I end my day at that time.

I'd see if it was on the raw COOP monthly reports online, but yeah, shutdown. :axe:

Well it definitely isn't midnight.

12/31 0.00"
01/01 0.80"

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

@OceanStWx

When did you notice it?

Shutdown related?

If it did break, it may be resource scarcity because they don't exist anymore and parts are hard to come by.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Jesus time flies. Looks like the last obs to make it into Mesowest were in Nov 2015.

Can confirm it's coming in to us just fine... :bag:

https://hads.ncep.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/hads/interactiveDisplays/displayMetaData.pl?table=dcp&nwsli=SLSN3

But that should be public and has the data. Something up with MADIS/MesoWest.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Can confirm it's coming in to us just fine... :bag:

https://hads.ncep.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/hads/interactiveDisplays/displayMetaData.pl?table=dcp&nwsli=SLSN3

But that should be public and has the data. Something up with MADIS/MesoWest.

Nice. I can just use that. Do you know of a larger archive of that data? I haven't checked around on ISU yet.

Event totals: 1.1” Snow/0.54” L.E.

It was a bit surprising the way the back side snow form this past system took a while to get going here, but it’s definitely been more robust since darkness has come on with much larger flakes.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 29.7 F

Sky:  Light Snow (2 to 10 mm flakes)

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

I do not. 

One last question...

Do you have any way of knowing how much of the 0.34" w.e. on 12/17 fell before 5z  (16th) and afterward? I took a core in the morning and had 1.2"/0.32", but was too lazy to be up at midnight to figure out how to divvy it up. I'll just use their ratios.

btw...what kind of gauge do they have? They seemed to be one of the few NEPP sites that accurately reports liquid with frozen precip real time. I assume it's some kind of weighing gauge with an antifreeze solution?

Just now, dendrite said:

One last question...

Do you have any way of knowing how much of the 0.34" w.e. on 12/17 fell before 5z  (16th) and afterward? I took a core in the morning and had 1.2"/0.32", but was too lazy to be up at midnight to figure out how to divvy it up. I'll just use their ratios.

btw...what kind of gauge do they have? They seemed to be one of the few NEPP sites that accurately reports liquid with frozen precip real time. I assume it's some kind of weighing gauge with an antifreeze solution?

Bingo. Antifreeze in the winter, nada in the summer. As precip accumulates in the bucket the frequency changes on the weighing gauge and records the increase. 

Event totals: 1.4” Snow/0.54” L.E.

We’ve mostly cleared out now, so it looks like last night’s snow marked the end of that departing system.  Up next appears to be a Clipper-type system coming across the area tonight into tomorrow.

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 13.1 F

Sky:  Mostly Clear

On 1/1/2019 at 10:36 AM, wxmanmitch said:

Another cutter, another blank. Started briefly as sleet/snow mix but it went to pretty much straight sleet and then freezing rain. It was just barely below freezing and the rain was heavy, so it didn't appear to accrete much as it just dripped off the branches before it could really glaze. Now it's just dry CAA with no backside upslope. :axe:

This icy mix, rain, and then dry CAA (maybe we get some tiny snow grain flurries from the upslope stratus, but that's about it) nonsense is really getting old fast. Extremely frustrating, especially when areas to my NE in NH and ME actually have warmer surface temperatures and are getting snow. Plymouth, NH gets 4" and a net gain out of this. It's all about the midlevels...

Temperature held at 32° F until the cold front came through around 6:30 AM and mixed me out. Briefly spiked to 42° F, now 34° F and dropping so everything is refreezing. Pretty much no melt of the existing glacier leftover from Snowvember.

I guess we are making up for an epic March and November. Maybe we can get a positive gain tomorrow of more then just an inch. What are you thinking for up high Saturday? 2k+ ? Can we score or are the mid levels going to ruin the show again?