Total Members
    Most Online
    Landia_Copeland
    Newest Member
    Landia_Copeland
wxmanmitch

NNE Winter Thread

13 hours ago, Hitman said:

Sb reporting 23”.  Most lifts at Lincoln on windhold.  Mt Ellen looking good.

Ellen never spun chairs other than the park quad.  Skinned up to the summit, super windblown, very dense.  Deep in the woods.  Tough traveling at times.

20190323_124454.jpg

• Like 2

The rink was cleared at 4pm yesterday and then it was loaded up again overnight. 

Big storm with a solid snowfall for the base area.

zcMkDU4.jpg

hXnz5wB.jpg

10 hours ago, radarman said:

Ellen never spun chairs other than the park quad.  Skinned up to the summit, super windblown, very dense.  Deep in the woods.  Tough traveling at times.

Everything was initially on hold yesterday at Bolton except the Mighty Mite, so we packed Tele and alpine gear and were all set to skin at Timberline until they started running things.  By mid-morning though, they were announcing openings of the Mid Mountain Chair and the Timberline Quad, so we’d be able to start lift-served skiing once we got there.  Unfortunately though, they were still plowing out the Timberline parking lot and asking people to park up at the main base.  This meant connection over to ski Timberline, but the Snowflake Chair, which is the best way to connect over, was down on maintenance.  This made for a big line at the Mid Mountain Chair, and that connection still requires a short hike anyway, so we made the hike up Villager to get over.  That did have the benefit that we got in some of our cardio even though we didn’t end up skinning.

In terms of the skiing, I’d say that the quantity of the new snow was absolutely there – it was a fantastic resurfacing and the groomed slopes were skiing as beautifully as one could imagine.  The powder skiing definitely left something to be desired relative to our typical off piste conditions from a storm though.  The snow was quite dense, and often windblown, just as you mentioned.  We found that the trees offered some protection from the winds, so we typically got our highest quality turns there, but it was still Sierra Cement/Cascade Concrete type stuff and it would toss you around easily if you weren’t on your game or as it became more chopped up.  It actually looked like a nice day to be on a board with the dense snow.  The skiing was still awesome of course, but it was just surprising that the backside champagne never developed enough to set the impressively right-side-up turns we’d anticipated.  Presumably the parameters for optimal snow growth didn’t come together everywhere as the storm was finishing up.

Some pictures from the day:

23MAR19A.jpg

23MAR19D.jpg

23MAR19C.jpg

23MAR19B.jpg

23MAR19E.jpg

• Like 2

The Mansfield Stake hit 124" yesterday on yesterday's evening report.  

That is 2nd highest for March 23rd since 1954. 

1969 was 128".

2001 was 120".  

Of course those winters had additional snowfall with 2001 maxing at 132" and 1969 at 149".

IMG_2672.JPG

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Some pictures from the day:

Nice ones as always.  Here are few going up/down...

Inverness area is always pretty with open Birch forest.  Much less windblown through here too.  They should have spun the lift.

20190323_105005_HDR.jpg

20190323_105009_HDR.jpg

20190323_110332_HDR.jpg

Once at the top, the choice of sticking in the trees was obvious as you were saying.  Lighter and somewhat less windblown.  

20190323_130837.jpg

Exposed trails didn't hold that much snow in the face of the battering, but protected trails did.  But the mounds were whipped into big, slabby crests that were tough to navigate.  Could have used about 130s underfoot and just gone straight.

20190323_133328_HDR.jpg

20190323_133317_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The Mansfield Stake hit 124" yesterday on yesterday's evening report.  

That is 2nd highest for March 23rd since 1954. 

1969 was 128".

2001 was 120".  

Of course those winters had additional snowfall with 2001 maxing at 132" and 1969 at 149".

IMG_2672.JPG

I was about to send along a post on the stake depth PF, but I see you’re all over it!  Indeed that 10-foot snowpack depth has been eclipsed at the stake after this latest storm:

24MAR19A.jpg

There’s a small system/frontal passage coming into the area tonight, and the models suggest that after there’s more potential coming down the pike as we head toward next weekend and on into April.  It’s too far out to know exactly how that’s going to go, but it never hurts to have that elevation in your pocket:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

National Weather Service Burlington VT

735 AM EDT Sun Mar 24 2019

.LONG TERM /TUESDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY/...

As of 321 AM EDT Sunday...The next chance for precipitation comes Friday night into Saturday as as a an upper level trough and associated front swing down through region. Models are still split on timing and on amounts of QPF, but right now temperature profiles suggest a rain-snow event with the valleys remaining rain while the higher elevations see a mix and the highest peaks seeing just snow. Things should come into better focus next week as we get closer to the event.

Storms like this last one are the type that can really boost the snowpack going into the spring though.  We picked up just shy of 2 inches of liquid equivalent here in the bottom of the valley with the snow from this last one, so I have to think the mountain got at least that much.

The snow from this storm definitely had real meat to it – here’s another shot from yesterday of E, and you can see how high in the powder she’s riding.  That’s 20 inches of snow and she’s just using the top few.  It certainly wasn't one of those storms to produce the "over-the-head" powder shots.

23MAR19F.jpg

It looks like snowfall associated with this next system started up around 10:30 P.M. or so with this shield of precipitation moving into the area:

24MAR19A.gif

2 hours ago, borderwx said:

What is this heavy snow you speak of Jspin? :)

IMG_2782-357x450.jpg

Tale of two seasons at Burke this weekend

Pow feast yesterday and a Spring feast today

love March.

Hehe, nice.  Love March indeed.  March and April can be some of the best months of the year – deep snowpack, elevation storms, comfortable temperatures for being on the hill, etc.  More regionally though, the greatness of this time of year can be kind of drowned out by the bitching and moaning about the weather during these months.

It is snowing hard. I like the 2.4 degree scan...downward drift and all.  The ski area is getting crushed up the road.

ZV1OBZN.gif

• Like 1

Event totals: 0.6” Snow/0.03” L.E.

Details from the 12:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.03 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 20.0

Snow Density: 5.0% H2O

Temperature: 32.0 F

Sky:  Snow (4 to 12 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 25.0 inches

Event totals: 1.0” Snow/0.04” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.0

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 20.3 F

Sky: Clear

Snow at the stake: 25.0 inches

I was a bit surprised to wake up to almost 1" this morning.  The late news didn't think there would really be any accumulation as far south as Barre/Montpelier.  Memorial Drive, the road from Exit 8 to Montpelier, was glare ice this morning.  A woman in front of me tried to stop at a red light and did a 360° spin out into the median.  She was ok but looked a little shook up.

Went up to the NEK to snowmobile yesterday.  They got pummeled with snow, over 2' in some areas.  We parked at the state park beach in Island Pond and rode up to Norton on the Canadian border.  It was a beautiful day to be outside.

IMG_0987.jpg

Resized_20190324_094813.jpeg

IMG_0994.jpg

Resized_20190324_125859.jpeg

• Like 1

A long winter to get to this... hopefully it melts slowly because the North Country seems primed to have some massive flooding event at some point over the next month.

fA6eh1a.jpg

Went up to the NEK to snowmobile yesterday.  They got pummeled with snow, over 2' in some areas.  We parked at the state park beach in Island Pond and rode up to Norton on the Canadian border.  It was a beautiful day to be outside.
IMG_0987.jpg.1241f2cc92cabf4eb9eb4ae3d02bdcef.jpg
Resized_20190324_094813.jpeg.54e2429c888949d09d138ac99f1373b2.jpeg
IMG_0994.jpg.b0f470c141f99d44b733daadbc2af3a3.jpg
Resized_20190324_125859.jpeg.adee638cd6507bb2af18645ba5bca1f5.jpeg
Drool

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Took a ride from mount Washington Cog over to N Conway . What a gradient at the end of that trip. Places like Bartlett still looked to be hit pretty hard but when you got close toward Glen and the Red Parka Pub big drop off and again drop off in intervale on 302. Places by attitash and NW of attitash were deep.

Went up the cog side of Washington and man is it freaky deep (for me) 2850’ was as high as I could go and they got a solid 45”  on ground in the woods

Wow, that is an impressive picture. I think I've seen that once before long ago. 1969 I presume. Jay Peak is the only major NE ski area I've never skied. I have a hard time justifying the drive given I'm primarily a day skier. Of course, I'm planning on leaving my house Friday morning at 4AM to ski Sugarloaf!

7 minutes ago, Angus said:

Wow, that is an impressive picture. I think I've seen that once before long ago. 1969 I presume. Jay Peak is the only major NE ski area I've never skied. I have a hard time justifying the drive given I'm primarily a day skier. Of course, I'm planning on leaving my house Friday morning at 4AM to ski Sugarloaf!

Actually that's a 'vintage' :lol: pic I took in April 2001.  Courtesy of a disposable camera, sun bleaching, and a blown out scanner. 

Yeah the amount of snow is really impressive up high.  Walking up the Toll Road to the Mansfield ridgeline, even groomed you are walking at like the top of the trees.  

Hard to comprehend being like 10 feet off the ground.

12 minutes ago, alex said:

You can start seeing some diurnal increases in the river downstream from us. Pretty cool. Stake at 31" so still a long way to go. 

I’m usually pretty happy to have this much snow on the ground on February 27, for March 27 it’s pretty rare. I’m at 1200’ but driving up the hill it gets deep after 1500’ or so as PF pointed out. 

23 minutes ago, alex said:

You can start seeing some diurnal increases in the river downstream from us. Pretty cool. Stake at 31" so still a long way to go. 

Forgot the image 

4E7EF297-D472-400D-8038-C8BE58809DA8.jpeg

16 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

6 to 12 Monday?

I hadn’t looked at anything in a couple of days, but the latest GFS, FV3-GFS, and ICON runs as of this morning all show that second area of low pressure form along the front that seems to be responsible for the more substantial snows.  Essentially every model shows some snow in the Sunday to Monday timeframe, it’s just a matter of how much.  The BTV NWS isn’t talking about the wintry aspect in their discussions yet, as they’ve been more focused on the flood potential.  They’re happy that temperature trends have been favorable though:

.SHORT TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...

However, while overnight lows will be above normal in the 30s/40s, model trends over the past few days have been towards only slightly above normal highs in the 40s/50s Saturday and 30s/40s Sunday. This would indicate slower runoff from snowmelt and less potential for flooding impacts. In fact, the latest MMEFS guidance for the mainstem rivers only shows potential for action stage levels. Still bears monitoring, but trends are our friend for flood potential.