Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

WxUSAF

8 minutes ago, Ji said:

We cant make any progress. Worst run of past 2 days

Just small steps backwards. Weaker low and the confluence held on a little longer. Both these things the GFS can have problems with. Has a tendency to over play the NS on occasion as well as doesn't handle the SS as well as the Euro. Stronger low and more relax/ quicker release of the confluence to the NE and this moves north 50-100 miles. 1 of these changes might be enough actually.

eta: oops, have another post in the wings didn't mean to add all those maps to this post.

Bittersweet feelings this morning, although i do lean more sweet with the EPS's positive trends north. Lots of members close to the coast, I don't see how eastern MD doesnt get at least some snowfall as the models will continue to overdo confluence at this range.

eps_slp_lows_east_26-1.png

8 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Bittersweet feelings this morning, although i do lean more sweet with the EPS's positive trends north. Lots of members close to the coast, I don't see how eastern MD doesnt get at least some snowfall as the models will continue to overdo confluence at this range.

eps_slp_lows_east_26-1.png

Boy that should scream for a nice 12z run today you would think but look what the gfs did at 6z...feels like to me we may be seeing the northern and southern side of the storm envelope with the real bullseye to be figured out now. Of course anything coming from me is just anacdotel and not analytical 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Boy that should scream for a nice 12z run today you would think but look what the gfs did at 6z...feels like to me we may be seeing the northern and southern side of the storm envelope with the real bullseye to be figured out now. Of course anything coming from me is just anacdotel and not analytical 

I dunno....there is still quiet the lead time for this. If we were at 72 hours I would agree with the envelope. Seeing the changes aloft even with the 6z gfs makes me think we arent even close still to hammering this down and surprises are coming. We haven't even been in range to get Nammed yet so yeah, there's that. 

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I dunno....there is still quiet the lead time for this. If we were at 72 hours I would agree with the envelope. Seeing the changes aloft even with the 6z gfs makes me think we arent even close still to hammering this down and surprises are coming. We haven't even been in range to get Nammed yet so yeah, there's that. 

I think the only reason I say it is because there are still shifts back South after the north runs. Sure history says there is still more room to move north but man there have been way more consistent south runs vs north ones. I'd like to see 12z show some north consistency today. I'd gladly be wrong for a little more north movement....as I look South from my deck I have room :)

I have mentioned for awhile now that I favor that this will ultimately end up being a Miller A/B hybrid. Primary running up to or into Tennessee before transferring to the east and then running up the coast somewhat before it stalls/retrogrades as the 500's catch up. At this point I am leaning towards the low being located somewhere off the coast of central VA towards the mouth of the bay (somewhat north of current guidance). 

So I thought I would show you what that scenario might mean for the DC/Balt crew as well as why I believe I am seeing signs that the EPS is moving towards that solution.

Below I have the individual members of the EPS. I have circled the members where we see the primary running into Northern Alabama/Mississippi/Tennessee. Though we do have some clunkers in there we do have some decent if not good to great looks for the DC north crew. Also notice that many/most of our northern solutions are within this group.

***Note: There are quite a few other members that now somewhat have the looks of a transfer.

memsnowfalla.thumb.gif.22a820da253d6d6a0fded28e084965f2.gif

memsnowfallb.thumb.gif.0981767cb2549fb02e352266734faded.gif

Now one other thing to consider. Look at how many of the circled members get copious amounts of moisture into the region. A little colder solution on many of these members turns that so/so snow or good snow above into a great hit for the corridor.

memprecipa.thumb.gif.709cba4d67b8c7bdbdae02f961042347.gif

memprecipb.gif.8e8bb996ed15f80b1c4033db8cebf0bc.gif

Now you may be wondering what I am seeing to lead me to believe that the EPS is trending towards a hybrid Miller A/B solution. Below we have the mean low from two days ago. Now lets compare to the most recent run.

dec3presmean.thumb.gif.33633c23af12ce94ec449e5172f9ed66.gif

Now we have seen a slow and continuous trend by the EPS over the last 2 days to give us what we have now. Notice the difference we are seeing with the lows mean structure. We are now seeing a distinct kidney shape with lower pressures hooking up the west side of the Apps and lower pressures hooking into the SE. This is the look I expect to see when we are dealing with a low transfer.  One other thing to note that I will discuss in a bit is notice the location of where we are seeing individual L's showing on the map and how they have increased from the run 2 days ago.

dec5presmean.thumb.gif.e36fdc4120b734b21d78ca9bea1a6869.gif

I really think the key here for our chances is to have a strong enough low as it moving out of the west so that we see some latitude gain as it is running through Louisiana and Mississippi. Now whether we see this actually move far enough north to see that run into Northern Alabama/Miss Tennessee for my thoughts on the Miller A/B transfer is irrelevant because any latitude gain is a plus for our chances. At this time I do believe the EPS is trending towards a stronger low/latitude gain solution. Note the individual maps above again. We are seeing more members that are showing distinct lows vs. the earlier run and these members also are favoring the northern edge of the mean envelope. We are also seeing a adjustment northward of the mean low. What all that tells me is that chances are increasing that in fact the solution running through the south will probably favor a more northerly track then currently projected.

Now not only does the EPS hint at this but I also believe the GFS is leaving the door open for an adjustment north. Mentioned a couple times yesterday with the GFS that I thought there was room for the low to come further north and yet we did not see that. Possibly the low was just too weak? I have also seen this opening for the low moving further north on some other model runs as well but again we did not see it.

One final comment. Know some of us been hammering on the 500's and how they will interact with this low when it is off the coast. My thoughts in that regards to if we actually see the Miller A/B? Think that sets us up well for when the low actually off the coast. Primary running up towards Tenn helps our timing (delays the evolution a touch giving more time for the confluence in the NE to relax hopefully giving us a more northern solution with the coastal) and also primes the 500's for when it goes for the attempted capture off the coast.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6

43 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

There is a bit of a double edged sword for eastern areas with this event. If the confluence hangs stronger the maximum impact(snow) will be south and southwest of DC. If there is more interaction with the trailing NS shortwave dropping in, the trough could slow/deepen and bring the low up and closer to the coast. More precip further east and north in that scenario, but eastern areas would also see some warming in the mid levels due to the high sliding off and the low not too far to the SE. Would be walking the rain/snow line. Be interesting to see how things progress, but for our yards we could get kinda screwed either way lol.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF locked, unpinned and unlocked this topic
  • WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic