Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nov. 25th-26th Midwest Snowstorm Potential

Malacka11

6 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Going to be a crapshoot till probably tonight when we start to get some sampling of the pieces in play. 

Yea. I was almost sure the GFS was too far south and progressive yesterday and was talking with Stebo about it. Then the rest of the guidance joined it 18/00z so I kinda shut up. After every model jumped south, I was starting to think the GFS had the right idea all along. Still plenty of time and the system is not onshore like you mentioned though so another jump south is still well within the realm of possibility.

9 minutes ago, ConvectiveIA said:

This is very exciting and edge of seat. Populated areas of Iowa are back in the game! With this new gfs run I now feel confident we will get something here even if it’s just a few inches 

Wouldn't be getting excited over one run. Lol. Gfs was the most southern outlier for days and now it did a 180 and is the most north with low. I think a track closer to I70 is more likely

9 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Yea. I was almost sure the GFS was too far south and progressive yesterday and was talking with Stebo about it. Then the rest of the guidance joined it 18/00z so I kinda shut up. After every model jumped south, I was starting to think the GFS had the right idea all along. Still plenty of time and the system is not onshore like you mentioned though so another jump south is still well within the realm of possibility.

Normally I feel the teleconnections play a big factor in these storms and their track, and those definitely favor a southern solution.  Good to see some hope for those of us in Central Iowa into Southern Wisconsin.

1 minute ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Wouldn't be getting excited over one run. Lol. Gfs was the most southern outlier for days and now it did a 180 and is the most north with low. I think a track closer to I70 is more likely

I think @Stebo eluded to it earlier, not only is strength going to be a factor in terms of low track but so is speed due to the factors in play from the lead waves. 

12z GFS came back north while its 06z and 00z counterparts look like the 12z NAM along with the 00z Euro so I'm not sure what to think. My preliminary target is still going to be the Quad Cities area for video I think. I'm flexible about heading into Eastern Iowa or staying home in Western IL if the NAM is right. Either way someone is going to receive a serious early season dumping and probably some blizzard conditions. By only concern for the blizzard conditions would be how fast our temperatures fall and we get that drier snow versus the concrete. If most of the snow is heavy and wet that could limit blowing snow potential, but also hugely raises power outage potential with gusts of wind over 45 mph (perhaps even 50 as some models suggest).

7 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Also the GFS hasn't been the most consistent model for the past few days either lol. My friends at KCRG in Cedar Rapids have been complaining about this making for a tough forecast. I don't blame them, with model inconsistency on the GFS its a huge boom or bust potential on their end. Take away the 12z GFS and its pretty clear about the southeast trend. Will have to see what the new Euro says and the 18z GFS. I wouldn't be too concerned yet.

4 minutes ago, ILwxchr said:

Also the GFS hasn't been the most consistent model for the past few days either lol. My friends at KCRG in Cedar Rapids have been complaining about this making for a tough forecast. I don't blame them, with model inconsistency on the GFS its a huge boom or bust potential on their end. Take away the 12z GFS and its pretty clear about the southeast trend. Will have to see what the new Euro says and the 18z GFS. I wouldn't be too concerned yet.

12z GEM also looks similar to the 12z GFS.

3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

One notable trend on the GFS is that this is the first run since 21.18z that has a closed 700 mb low. Stronger system overall is more likely to try and cut north. 

Yep those are my exact thoughts on why we saw the northward shift. Much stronger mid-latitude cyclone and closed off mid level low versus a more flat wave. Reminding me of Dec 8-9, 2009 albeit quite a bit less intense.