Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
11/15-11/16 Coastal Storm Observation Thread

NJwx85

5 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Eh, I think you can give them some slack.  You announced that Nassau County would be mostly rain before you went to bed last night.  NAM was showing 6" for Nassau at that time.  Yours wasn't an unreasonable forecast and I assume you had more reasons than just being conservative for making it.

I’m shocked that LI did as well as they did, but NJ is a disaster. They hardly salted.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I’m shocked that LI did as well as they did, but NJ is a disaster. They hardly salted.

The slightly stronger high, cold wedge and cold dewpoints made the difference, along with the massive front end with dynamic cooling of the column. If it came in patchy and more showery, the column would’ve warmed up much sooner and we would’ve seen much less. 

So, last night I was looking around the boards and the media to see if I could find anyone who was close to forecasting closer to what most of the models were saying (especially the Euro/NAM, where the Euro is the best global model and the NAM is a very good mesoscale model within 24-36 hours) and the only one I could find was DT/WxRisk, who had the 95-corridor at 2-4" and just NW of 95 at 4-7", which is pretty close to what we'll end up with (if still under a bit). I posted it on FB and on the RU football board where I post about the weather, since it just seemed so odd that all the forecasts were ignoring those models. Didn't post it here, but will now, since it's germane to this discussion.  DT can be a bit combative, but I enjoy his no holds barred approach and he's always willing to call himself out when he busts.  

No automatic alt text available.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

I was out and about and the roads are bad here too, but it's really the drivers that are bad. 

I actually took a walk in the woods and went down by the Sound briefly, but ran the last half mile back to the car when I started to hear cracking falling tree limbs.  I will post some video later if I get a chance.

Still light snow at 6:40, but I think a mix is knocking at our door.

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I was out and about and the roads are bad here too, but it's really the drivers that are bad. 

I actually took a walk in the woods and went down by the Sound briefly, but ran the last half mile back to the car when I started to hear cracking falling tree limbs.  I will post some video later if I get a chance.

Literally every highway out here is closed. My sister in law is stranded at our house because she couldn’t get all the way home from work. I live a mile and a half from my work and it took me 25 minutes to get home and I have all wheel drive.

3 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Drove from riverhead to Commack and the LIE had 3-4” of snow on it in spots. Many spin outs, cars in the woods. I was sliding in my jeep

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Well, it was sleeting by the time I clicked submit on that post.  Light sleet now.  4.5" might be the maximum snow depth here, even if the frozen precip hangs on for a while.

• Rjay locked and unpinned this topic