Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Steve

Let's Talk Winter!!

Recommended Posts

On 10/13/2018 at 2:06 PM, Hoosier said:

I wonder if buckeye still reads JB.

Who am I kidding?

I did my usual.  Signed up and will carry it to March 1st.

I actually haven't been reading JB because right now I'm more interested in actual model output then reading JB's relentless pursuit and bias of cold and snow.   Once we get closer to the holidays and I actually put my weenie gear on, (and want cold and snow). I'll start reading and watching to feed my false hope.

I have no feeling of what to expect this winter.  I just know every year my desire for cold and snow gets more narrow and more focused around the holidays and January...with a greater desire for a very late mild fall and very early mild spring....and of course always chasing that mirage big dog storm.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, buckeye said:

I did my usual.  Signed up and will carry it to March 1st.

I actually haven't been reading JB because right now I'm more interested in actual model output then reading JB's relentless pursuit and bias of cold and snow.   Once we get closer to the holidays and I actually put my weenie gear on, (and want cold and snow). I'll start reading and watching to feed my false hope.

I have no feeling of what to expect this winter.  I just know every year my desire for cold and snow gets more narrow and more focused around the holidays and January...with a greater desire for a very late mild fall and very early mild spring....and of course always chasing that mirage big dog storm.

I am becoming the same way.  Funny how preferences can evolve.  Doubt I'll ever lose the desire for cold and snow around the holidays.  Growing up in this type of climate, you associate that with the holidays.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, buckeye said:

For the Columbus area weenies, sad news, WBNS announced Chris Bradley has entered into hospice.   Prayers for him and his family.  He was a great on -air met..  A true snow weenies at heart and way too young :(

That is indeed sad news. I've always liked Chris and his enthusiasm for winter weather. His on air presence will be missed.

Who can us snow weenies turn to now locally? Ben Gelber?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, buckeye said:

For the Columbus area weenies, sad news, WBNS announced Chris Bradley has entered into hospice.   Prayers for him and his family.  He was a great on -air met..  A true snow weenies at heart and way too young :(

Heard that. Awful news! Seems like a really great guy.

‘Eff cancer!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, buckeye said:

For the Columbus area weenies, sad news, WBNS announced Chris Bradley has entered into hospice.   Prayers for him and his family.  He was a great on -air met..  A true snow weenies at heart and way too young :(

I read that yesterday on his facebook feed. The news about his leukemia has been bad for some time, but I was hoping he would somehow beat it.  One of my favorite meteorologists over the years.  His enthusiasm was always palpable, and I don't think there's anyone in the Columbus market who isn't just there for the paycheck now.  Not that I pay much attention to it these days, but definitely a loss.  Here's hoping for one good storm to send him out. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HighTechEE said:

Was he the replacement for Joe Holbrook?  We lost him 3 yrs ago at the age of 87.  Grew up watching him on ch10 and Jim Ganahl & Ben Gelber on ch4.

No, there was someone after Holbrook, but he was a local legend as well.   I'm wondering if it was Mike Bettis he replaced, (yes same guy on weather channel), but he might have worked for ABC here too.   Of course us old timers also remember the days when Larry Cosgrove was the chief on air met at the local ABC channel here in Columbus, (circa 80's).

Speaking of Holbrook, I thought this excerpt in a story about him as a forecaster here during the blizzard of '78 was funny:

Legendary 10TV meteorologist Joe Holbrook was closely monitoring the storm in WBNS' weather office. In the age before the Internet, local television meteorologists would go outside to check the station's thermometer for temperature, an anemometer for winds and barometer for pressure. Joe thought it was odd that the barometer reading had sunk close to 28 inches. He tapped on it thinking the needle was stuck. It did not move.

...ya think? lol

Ganahl is still here.   Although Ganahl is a part-timer at channel 6 now and I'm not sure how much Gelber is still doing.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 3:00 PM, buckeye said:

No, there was someone after Holbrook, but he was a local legend as well.   I'm wondering if it was Mike Bettis he replaced, (yes same guy on weather channel), but he might have worked for ABC here too.   Of course us old timers also remember the days when Larry Cosgrove was the chief on air met at the local ABC channel here in Columbus, (circa 80's).

Speaking of Holbrook, I thought this excerpt in a story about him as a forecaster here during the blizzard of '78 was funny:

Legendary 10TV meteorologist Joe Holbrook was closely monitoring the storm in WBNS' weather office. In the age before the Internet, local television meteorologists would go outside to check the station's thermometer for temperature, an anemometer for winds and barometer for pressure. Joe thought it was odd that the barometer reading had sunk close to 28 inches. He tapped on it thinking the needle was stuck. It did not move.

...ya think? lol

Ganahl is still here.   Although Ganahl is a part-timer at channel 6 now and I'm not sure how much Gelber is still doing.   

Just found out Eric Elwell is leaving Ch7 WHIO here in Dayton next month to go back to Columbus, not sure where maybe Ch10 WBNS since he worked there briefly before and the old Ohio News Network ONN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HighTechEE said:

Hmm, last night forecast was for less than a half inch, woke up to 2 full inches on elevated surfaces??? Ok, pushed my season total all the way up to 2.5"! :wacko:

Just a dusting here with off and on snow showers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CoachLB said:

Chris Bradley has lost his fight sadly and has passed at the age of 53.

Really sad to read this personally. He was a met at WXYZ channel 7 in Detroit for several years back in the 90s. Back when I was in elementary school, he visited for an assembly, and specifically spent time with me before the assembly after finding out my interest in weather. Just an all around great meteorologist and it is sad to see that he lost his fight.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I interned at 10TV in the summer of 2007 and working with him was a blast. On top of shadowing him and getting the insights to broadcast meteorology, I got to geek out with him over the severe storms that summer and enjoy the little things of meteorology. Heaven has definitely gained a hardcore snow weenie. RIP Chris. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×