e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
NYC/PHL December 24-27 Potential Part 3

earthlight

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But I will stress this... the 00z GFS is a major hit for all. The precip shield is just not correct and so it looks like a miss.

From Jeff B

I'm not sure I agree with him 100%, but I definitely see why he would believe this. The GEFSs were more important to me. Between the ensemble mean and the op Euro we have some consensus for a moderate or better snowstorm!

I'm curious about the Euro ensembles and also if any GGEM ensemble members impact the coast (to a lesser degree).

FWIW (mainly for entertainment purposes this far out), the top 5 analogs for the 12z GFS at 120 hours are:

http://www.eas.slu.edu/CIPS/ANALOG/analog.php

Dec 20 2009 near-blizzard

Feb 9 1987 (compact ~984 mb low that tracked a little outside benchmark; accumulating snow confined to Delmarva/S NJ/SE New England; up to 10" in a few areas)

Jan 8 1996 blizzard

Jan 23 2005 blizzard

Mar 30 1984 (very intense nor'easter with 70 mph gusts in NYC, 6"+ snow over much of SNE and 1 foot+ from N-central PA into central NY)

It was more due to the fact the general belief is that now this thing is better sampled the models are catching onto the miss...I still think that unless something changes with the orientation to the ridge/trough in the west and east this is going to be a major league scraper and could have some sick cutoffs near the coast...we could see something close to what we had in December of last year.

Ah ok-- now I see..... that was the storm that dropped 2 feet plus in eastern suffolk, 14-15 inches here, close to a foot in the city and radically less once you got west of there. So basically Feb 89 but the track adjusted maybe 100 miles west of there?

FWIW (mainly for entertainment purposes this far out), the top 5 analogs for the 12z GFS at 120 hours are:

http://www.eas.slu.e...ALOG/analog.php

Feb 9 1987 (compact ~984 mb low that tracked a little outside benchmark; accumulating snow confined to Delmarva/S NJ/SE New England; up to 10" in a few areas)

Jan 8 1996 blizzard

Jan 23 2005 blizzard

Mar 30 1984 (very intense nor'easter with 70 mph gusts in NYC, 6"+ snow over much of SNE and 1 foot+ from N-central PA into central NY)

hmmm I wonder what the euro analogs are? Could 4/15/2007 Tax Day noreaster be one of them?

I agree that at this point the most likely solution is one which hits eastern LI and eastern New England hardest. Dec 19, 2009 may not be a bad analog, except given the orientation of this one it is likely hit to E New England harder than Dec 2009, while possibly only scraping the DC area.

It was more due to the fact the general belief is that now this thing is better sampled the models are catching onto the miss...I still think that unless something changes with the orientation to the ridge/trough in the west and east this is going to be a major league scraper and could have some sick cutoffs near the coast...we could see something close to what we had in December of last year.

Jan 8 1996 blizzard

Jan 23 2005 blizzard

January 96 is the closest based on the synoptic pattern....2/9/87, 1/23/05, 3/30/84 all developed way north of where most models indicate this will...the coastal didnt form til the Delmarva or even north of that.....3/30/84 was the only one which did not have a ridge out west.

I agree that at this point the most likely solution is one which hits eastern LI and eastern New England hardest - Dec 19, 2009 may not be a bad analog, except given the orientation of this one it will likely hit E New England harder and possibly only scrape the DC area.

I think parts of SE new england got close to 2 feet in that. Do you think western LI and NYC can get to the 12-15 range, like with that storm? Being about 25 miles SE of NYC, I feel like Im in a pretty good spot lol.

Jan 8 1996 blizzard

Jan 23 2005 blizzard

Can u explain that to someone not familar. Does the 12z GFS, as depicted, most closely resemble those storms?

I doubt this is a storm for the Poconos/Catskills and west. The only people really in the game are near the coast. It took pretty much the perfect scenario for people west of that to get hit.

I'm not talking that far west. For example, NYC's qpf was cut down a hair, as was Trenton's. East of both sections there's minimal differences.

Ah ok-- now I see..... that was the storm that dropped 2 feet plus in eastern suffolk, 14-15 inches here, close to a foot in the city and radically less once you got west of there. So basically Feb 89 but the track adjusted maybe 100 miles west of there?

Never forget Feb. '89.

By the way looks like mid 40's a week from now, maybe rain for the winter classic.

I doubt this is a storm for the Poconos/Catskills and west. The only people really in the game are near the coast. It took pretty much the perfect scenario for people west of that to get hit.

Its not unusual for Scranton or Monticello to see big snows when NYC does, but if anyone more than say 50 miles north-northwest of them does, chances are NYC is seeing precip type issues...the classic cutoff for the big snows in a good track for significant snows across the main tri-state area generally sits near those two cities...if BGM is seeing snow either you have a very strong ULL cutting through behind the storm or there is at the very least sleet into most of coastal CT/LI...at the very least...

Its not unusual for Scranton or Monticello to see big snows when NYC does, but if anyone more than say 50 miles north-northwest of them does, chances are NYC is seeing precip type issues...the classic cutoff for the big snows in a good track for significant snows across the main tri-state area generally sits near those two cities...if BGM is seeing snow either you have a very strong ULL cutting through behind the storm or there is at the very least sleet into most of coastal CT/LI...at the very least...

Cant remember too many cases where this might not have happened-- however, Jan 96 might have been an incidence when NYC and BGM both got heavy snow-- however, I dont think Albany did.

I've said for a few winters now that the GFS Ensembles being north/west or more amplified than the Operational run is usually a little red flag waving in the back of your head. So we can consider tonight's ensembles just that.

Cant remember too many cases where this might not have happened-- however, Jan 96 might have been an incidence when NYC and BGM both got heavy snow-- however, I dont think Albany did.

It was south of Albany. I have my axis of 75 miles of heavy snow for most winter storms at our latitude.

Archived