• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NYC/PHL December 24-27 Potential Part 3

earthlight

It is interesting in that if the ECMWF didn't exist, all forecasts would be for this to harmlessly slide out to sea, and nobody would think twice. By the way, when was the first year of the ECMWF model?

Not 100% true, but you are partially right, the hype would not be there as it is now. There wouldn't be the forum crashing 1800 visits, that is for sure.

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really. Many of the GFS ensemble members have a big hit, the op GFS has a monster scraping by, and the UK had a big hit (has just backed off some).

Yeah, I did a survey of all the ensembles and the average QPF of them was like .35-.50 for NYC. Two had over 1.00

Not 100% true, but you are partially right, the hype would not be there as it is now. There wouldn't be the forum crashing 1800 visits, that is for sure.

I can think of quite a few surprise storms delivered major snows here, but they were mostly a long time ago-- Jan 78 and Feb 79 (PD1) are two that come to mind.

I'll say this, if the Euro ultimately nails this event it continues to prove how overall strong of a model it really is...it was the Euro vs. the world..to an extent its now the Euro and GFS ensembles vs. the world...

If the euro ensembles have trended a tad west you might have to add those in also.

And DT for good measure lol.

aren't all phasing situations thread the needles?

To a degree, when it comes to rapid positive feedback cyclogenesis events, yes. But even then, certain events have a larger window of opportunity. This one no longer does because the PV is trending so slow. Too slow now and the southern PV will be so weak it will play no role in eventual cyclogenesis.

Archived