Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jonathan

Winter 2018-2019 Speculation

Recommended Posts

So, as the average daily temperature for our region begins to fall after today (7/23) let's talk winter in July!

What are the big indices looking like? What ENSO state are we entering into? Solar looking good which would make the QBO good for us? Any early animal coloration or behavior to look for?

Surely this winter can't be worse than the last two...could it?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Thanks JB! May Charleston, SC get more snow than you again, for the 2nd year in a row!

North, south, east, or west of me is where you want to be!  Where's Packbacker?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jonathan said:

So, as the average daily temperature for our region begins to fall after today (7/23) let's talk winter in July!

What are the big indices looking like? What ENSO state are we entering into? Solar looking good which would make the QBO good for us? Any early animal coloration or behavior to look for?

Surely this winter can't be worse than the last two...could it?

I would have responded but the days have gotten shorter and I didn't have the time.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, frazdaddy said:

Good post,that and the solar minimum could be fun. How's your summer so far?

Summers been good. Just got back from vacation at the outer banks. Loved the weather, most days in the low 80s and plenty of sunshine.

But, still can't wait for summer to end (..being the cold weather loving guy I am). Maybe in 5 months from now we'll be tracking a Christmas snow storm. Hope your summer is good as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll take it 

CFS really trending colder for front half of winter. 

 

Got to like the ENSO look heading into late summer. Not too mention pretty decent ice up north and a VERY slow melt season in Greenland.

 

that coupled with the solar min (a very significant minimum actually) gives way to some pretty epic recipes for winter.

E918046E-DD70-472A-BF51-67080C3BC79D.thumb.png.4c5433a28979da83c9c93433ea618c0d.pngABBF90CF-AA47-46AB-A650-3C3373D3EB03.thumb.png.21fd3bf80e4f5b4bb4b2dd84b8420445.png

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2018 at 4:55 PM, fountainguy97 said:

I’ll take it 

CFS really trending colder for front half of winter. 

 

Got to like the ENSO look heading into late summer. Not too mention pretty decent ice up north and a VERY slow melt season in Greenland.

 

that coupled with the solar min (a very significant minimum actually) gives way to some pretty epic recipes for winter.

E918046E-DD70-472A-BF51-67080C3BC79D.thumb.png.4c5433a28979da83c9c93433ea618c0d.pngABBF90CF-AA47-46AB-A650-3C3373D3EB03.thumb.png.21fd3bf80e4f5b4bb4b2dd84b8420445.png

However now it is trending back warmer/slightly above average

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Orangeburgwx said:

However now it is trending back warmer/slightly above average

Yep! I don’t usually follow climate models just for that reason but they are comforting when supporting good winters. 

 

All in in all this really is a winter where all the factors could line up very nicely for winter. 

 

Solar minimum (probably a bigger deal than most make it out to be it is THE SUN after all lol)

weak nino promotes active STJ 

-qbo helps promote blocking and sustained cold 

 

All of the very early indicators that we can actually guess at this far out are not looking bad at all. In fact, this could be a fun one I just don’t like hyping myself up this early on haha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Queencitywx said:

Now that I'm living in Duke Forest, I have no idea what to expect. 

Mini Ice Age? You brought this with you correct?  ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Isopycnic said:

I wish. West durham is a LONG way from Hawaii... But is slightly closer to HI than waycross, ga. 

There’s a lot less lava in West Durham also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Isopycnic said:

I wish. West durham is a LONG way from Hawaii... But is slightly closer to HI than waycross, ga. 

Lol, I gotcha.. Durham does have cheaper housing, and as CR stated less lava. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2018 at 6:56 AM, frazdaddy said:

Welcome to the neighborhood sir!

Thanks man! I’ve been on a roll lately, hope I brought the mojo. I couldn’t convince the girlfriend to live in Hillsborough or Roxboro. 

On 7/30/2018 at 6:09 PM, FallsLake said:

Your in west Durham?

Yes sir, about two miles from the OrCo line, just off 751. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×