Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,163
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Michael Butler
    Newest Member
    Michael Butler
    Joined

2018 Mountains and Foothills Spring/Summer thread


 Share

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, nchighcountrywx said:

Ensembles shifted overnight with some back into   SC which could bring the storm in underneath us with more impacts in Western NC

Sure bears watching 

52597A79-1A90-4F89-A6E7-27573D5144D5.png

C0E23684-C22D-455C-99F9-A569B6316264.png

We were scheduled to move back on the weekend of the 22nd. Not sure what we're going to do now. We haven't been to NYC in a while so I booked a flight and a room for a week on Wed. Guess we'll come back to whatever is left and pack up then. I'm not staying on this island for this one if it comes through here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

We were scheduled to move back on the weekend of the 22nd. Not sure what we're going to do now. We haven't been to NYC in a while so I booked a flight and a room for a week on Wed. Guess we'll come back to whatever is left and pack up then. I'm not staying on this island for this one if it comes through here.

Joe:

Good luck and I hope the storm leaves you with minimal damage on Emerald Isle.   I agree this one would not be on to stay around and mess with.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, nchighcountrywx said:

Joe:

Good luck and I hope the storm leaves you with minimal damage on Emerald Isle.   I agree this one would not be on to stay around and mess with.

 

Thanks Bill. We're taking our fall vacation now so it better start snowing in Oct. this year.

I'm starting to wonder if I might have problems up there as well. If this thing sets up right, the rainfall might be overwhelming. When Frances and Ivan came through within a couple of weeks of each other, it took our county a good year to fully recover. Flashing flooding was horrible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, BooneWX said:

Wow. The trend was not in our favor overnight fellas. I hope this changes quickly. Euro output had 40+ inches of rain falling in our area. Not to mention that we would also be in the strongest winds now.

That was my biggest fear. That mirrors the totals from Hurricane Frances and Hurricane Ivan over that one week period back in September of '04. It got ugly around here. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Can anyone lay their hands on any projected win probabilities for our area, based on the latest runs?

Afternoon runs were definitely in our favor. I’m cautiously optimistic. Something that has me concerned is its strength and ability to turn. If it makes landfall as a 4, how easy will it be for the storm to turn north..? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, SnoJoe said:

Thanks Bill. We're taking our fall vacation now so it better start snowing in Oct. this year.

I'm starting to wonder if I might have problems up there as well. If this thing sets up right, the rainfall might be overwhelming. When Frances and Ivan came through within a couple of weeks of each other, it took our county a good year to fully recover. Flashing flooding was horrible.

Hey Joe, Hope all is well ill be praying for you and your family. And i remember those storms well theres still empty condemed houses hanging off the side of humpback up in North Cove due to the mudslides from those canes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, McDowell_Weather said:

Hey Joe, Hope all is well ill be praying for you and your family. And i remember those storms well theres still empty condemed houses hanging off the side of humpback up in North Cove due to the mudslides from those canes.

Thanks Heath! Our house is oceanfront so I'm afraid it might be toast. I'm more worried about my island. This is the kind of storm that could change it drastically. Bogue Banks is no more than a few hundred feet wide in several places. Have spent most of my summers down here since I was a little kid. Would hate to see it get it torn up.

 

But, there are two positives.  Good insurance and I won't be here! :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, SnoJoe said:

Thanks Heath! Our house is oceanfront so I'm afraid it might be toast. I'm more worried about my island. This is the kind of storm that could change it drastically. Bogue Banks is no more than a few hundred feet wide in several places. Have spent most of my summers down here since I was a little kid. Would hate to see it get it torn up.

 

But, there are two positives.  Good insurance and I won't be here! :-)

Thats the main thing that you guys are safe. I know there will be those who stay behind and as a firefighter i know all to well the consequences. Some of my best memories was on the banks with my papaw. Hopefully i will get to share the same places and experiences with my son... Anyway god bless and stay safe. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some models are pushing closer to a SC hit. Basically the further south it is, the worse it will end up for us. Need this thing to go north.(or east of us). If the storm stays to the east, it keeps the winds coming from the north, and west depending on position. If the storm gets to our direct south or southwest, that's when the winds will come from the Atlantic and when the real flooding here begins.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

Some models are pushing closer to a SC hit. Basically the further south it is, the worse it will end up for us. Need this thing to go north.

Ive been watching this for two days (Euro Ensembles) have maintained a cluster of hits in south carolina. And i agree completely we dont need the rain i dont wish this storm on no one but after our little lake tahoma dam scare back this summer im good on floods for a while theirs nothing scarier going door to door at 2 a.m in the morning trying to evacuate people knowing a wall of water could come your way at any moment...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:

App State is suspending classes on Thu/Fri and all extracurricular stuff from Wednesday evening through Sunday evening.

I just don't get this.  I understand the mountains may have flooding problems due to heavy rainfall, but it's not going to arrive until Saturday or Sunday up there.  Why cancel classes for Thursday and Friday?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just don't get this.  I understand the mountains may have flooding problems due to heavy rainfall, but it's not going to arrive until Saturday or Sunday up there.  Why cancel classes for Thursday and Friday?
They said they were doing so to allow students that live close to the coast to go help prepare. Lots of students up here from Raleigh and East.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Linville river jumped to 5ft. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see if approach the 2004 levels if the track is right.

Welp, got a heavy storm last night in Boone. Haven't looked at totals but it has to be several inches. That's the last thing we need right now.


Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...