Newest Member
    joxey
May we finally see the darling buds ... patterns and models

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 691
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I mentioned that temp bouncing in the banter thread while at the ski resort today.  The mixing of snow refrigerated air vs the very warm boundary layer conditions made it feel like it would go from hot to chilly depending on the wind.  Would've loved to have a thermometer that could try to record it.  Felt like it would be 70s out in the open and then get a blast of 40s coming out of the snow covered woods every so often.

Pretty cool stuff.

I recall that effect from northern Maine, especially when snowshoeing on 2-3' of solid pack during the first warm (60s there) days in April.  We'd be in open hardwood land enjoying the warmth when a cold breath would come out from the black growth - would only last for seconds.  The other oddity was pack settling; we'd feel only a 1-2" drop but would hear the "whumps" receding as the settled area spread out from where we'd triggered it.  Only happened in spring, when the lack of cold from above allowed the unfrozen ground to eat away at pack's base.

Since when are dp's in the 50s considered humid in the summer?  30% RH and it's 'humid'?

Fake heat...

Contrast.  We found yesterday to be at the limits of comfort (beyond the limit in the parking lot at the Kennebunk rest area) despite the dews being about 50° lower than the temps.  Give me the same conditions in July and I'd love it.

We install...screens! 67° F right now which is perfect for airing out the house. Once it gets cool, I'll close the windows and keep the fresh air in.

Likewise if it gets warm, I'll close them to keep the hot air out. House was still cool yesterday since we just had 30° F and snow here Monday morning.

The heat actually kicked in once around 530 am since we cooled off into the mid 50s last night.

Edit: Forgot to mention we still have patches of snow pack in the deep shade, but the red maples are flowering now.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

BOS had its first 90 of the young season today.

I was more impressed by the 30 degree temp drop in 2 hrs. Peeps going to work in shorts and tees must have been pissed going home.

90 to 60                            

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I was more impressed by the 30 degree temp drop in 2 hrs. Peeps going to work in shorts and tees must have been pissed going home.

90 to 60                            

It was still fine actually.  I’ve been in shorts and tee since coming home around 7.

18 hours ago, tamarack said:

I recall that effect from northern Maine, especially when snowshoeing on 2-3' of solid pack during the first warm (60s there) days in April.  We'd be in open hardwood land enjoying the warmth when a cold breath would come out from the black growth - would only last for seconds.  The other oddity was pack settling; we'd feel only a 1-2" drop but would hear the "whumps" receding as the settled area spread out from where we'd triggered it.  Only happened in spring, when the lack of cold from above allowed the unfrozen ground to eat away at pack's base.

Since when are dp's in the 50s considered humid in the summer?  30% RH and it's 'humid'?

Fake heat...

Contrast.  We found yesterday to be at the limits of comfort (beyond the limit in the parking lot at the Kennebunk rest area) despite the dews being about 50° lower than the temps.  Give me the same conditions in July and I'd love it.

I dunno if it's the same phenomenon .. but, after the icing event just prior to Christmas down our way ... I was at the in-laws, who own a very large spread of land that has an open field, surrounded by a rampart of random evergreens and hard wood trees that were hobby-store glazed.  I was walking across said field ...when at a start, there was that eerie sound that you hear - like mash up utterance between a chimpanzee and a dolphin you might hear walking across a newly frozen pond - that was an amazing moment. To hear that sound from walking across the ice coating over the snow was not an effect I had encountered before.  The 1/2" coating of ice lain over the snow was almost enough to sustain weight, and in fact was for a few steps before every now and again... foot falls punched through. 

Mmm... "strong" signal nearing the end of week two is a dubious distinction... particularly when one does not indicate 'what' foundations said 'signal'  - 

I'm not gonna sit here and say a warm mid month is not going to happen - in the same vane. ... we can argue the other direction. It's just that if he mean the teleconnectors ... those get intrinsically less stable after May 1 every year, do to the changing wave mechanics everywhere in the hemisphere blah blah.  A +1 PNA or NAO or ...whatever, doesn't mean the same thing to the pattern orientations ..particularly JJA.  May is ...heh, sort of cusp month I suppose. 

In any case, there is a present signal for heat mid month - I mentioned in brief yesterday/earlier in this thread that the 13th was the entry date.  If we begin to see more resident eastern positive height anomalies start showing up it wouldn't surprise me.

Archived