Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tim from Springfield (IL)

Easter April Fools Snow (Apr. 1-2) (Central MO/IL/IN/OH)--Plus Space Station Crash Landing talk

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

OKK under a WWA, but not LAF. Very odd call by IND. Anyways, 0.16" of precip thus far at LAF...and still ripping. Nice to see our old home still has it. :D

And I can't believe all these systems of late whiffing us to the south...in March and now April. :lol:

I was thinking that overall this is one of the more wintry patterns I can recall by late March/early April standards (I mean as far as what I have lived through).  In addition to these southern misses, there's the Tuesday system that does the less surprising miss to the north.  You would think that something might hit us eventually with how these systems are coming with some regularity, but there's no guarantees.  Certainly not out of the question to continue getting missed every which way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I was thinking that overall this is one of the more wintry patterns I can recall by late March/early April standards (I mean as far as what I have lived through).  In addition to these southern misses, there's the Tuesday system that does the less surprising miss to the north.  You would think that something might hit us eventually with how these systems are coming with some regularity, but there's no guarantees.  Certainly not out of the question to continue getting missed every which way.

Yeah, especially considering it's been south of us...pretty impressive really. And it looks to continue next weekend with another wintry system for these same places to the south. Kinda crazy. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we can somehow manage 4” today, between the 3/24 event and today we could come damn close to matching our ENTIRE winter 2017-2018 total. Can never recall this happening in March/April. Crazy pattern. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got a solid 4 on the ground here.  Snowed for almost an hour before it started sticking so actual could be more, i have no way to measure that accurately.  Still going strong, one of the prettiest snows flake wise of the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Radar doughnut hole from h3ll finally filled in IMBY after its been raining and snowing a county or 2 away in all directions for the past 4 hours! kind of odd watching a Snow Storm in April!  Looks like it went from nothing to at least moderate snow in less than 10 mins, about 34 degrees so nothing sticking yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports of 6.8" and 6.0" out of the LAF area.  That is basically about the biggest April snow on record for the LAF area (there was a similar one in April 1926).  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely ripping here for the last 2 hours.  Flakes keep getting bigger, quarter size snow globe out there.  Sticking to everything, gorgeous out there  5 best I can measure fwiw.  should have another hour a little less to go.  Really nice band coming through on radar.  Biggest single snowfall of the season for mby, on Easter.  Par for the course.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the top of the "Miller" logo on a 16oz beer can is about 6 inches and my redneck measuring stick showed no red in 6 spots around the yard lol.  Still snowing but flakes are getting skinny.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

Well the top of the "Miller" logo on a 16oz beer can is about 6 inches and my redneck measuring stick showed no red in 6 spots around the yard lol.  Still snowing but flakes are getting skinny.

4" in Knox county in Ohio so far. Pretty amazing system for April in Central Ohio 

IMG_20180402_002502896_LL-picsay.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Heh, looks like closer to 4" after cleaning my truck.

Thinking like 3-4 here. Wow! It must have been coming down pretty hard last night. Too bad I was sleeping & missed it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pondo1000 said:

Thinking like 3-4 here. Wow! It must have been coming down pretty hard last night. Too bad I was sleeping & missed it. 

Thought the same thing.  Must have been one hell of a thumping when it snowed....pissed I didn't get to see it.   I went to bed around 10:30 and it was spitting very light snow and rain.   Woke up around 5am and clear starry sky and a fresh blanket of snow.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

F+ grade for IND with this one for LAF. No headlines issued at all, yet they hit warning criteria snowfall. And it was evident early in the event, that the best banding was going to go through there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Thought the same thing.  Must have been one hell of a thumping when it snowed....pissed I didn't get to see it.   I went to bed around 10:30 and it was spitting very light snow and rain.   Woke up around 5am and clear starry sky and a fresh blanket of snow.   

I know, me too. When I decided to roll over & go to sleep at like 10:30 or so, I looked out the window one last time. It was picking up a little at that time. All well. 

BTW, NAM deserves some credit w/ this one. It was pretty consistent with track & amounts (taking into consideration the overdone NAM amounts from some of it’s runs). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very sharp gradient along I-70 in Ohio it sounds like. South of downtown, the cars were barely covered and maybe 1" on fence posts and elevated surfaces. Plenty of grassy patches still exposed and almost all of Schiller Park was still green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

Warning criteria snow in central IL. 

0700 PM     SNOW             HAVANA                  40.30N 90.06W
04/01/2018  M6.5 INCH        MASON              IL   CO-OP OBSERVER

 

5 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

F+ grade for IND with this one for LAF. No headlines issued at all, yet they hit warning criteria snowfall. And it was evident early in the event, that the best banding was going to go through there.

 

Same with ILX at least on the northern end of the system--the 6.5 report in Havana is across the Illinois River from a county that AFAIK was NOT under any headlines at all (Fulton)--and a report of at least a 4.5 in the far SW corner of this huge county (Astoria).

Just returned from family's northwest of Peoria and it looks like in my SPI suburb (Chatham) the snow's wrath skirted the city but Sherman/Williamsville had a robust snowfall.  Same immediately west of Peoria--looks like the storm's "have-nots" in that area were along IL-8 (Elmwood/Yates City) area but IL-116 corridor was the "haves" (Farmington/Trivoli/Hanna City).  Saw my first report of a car off the ditch along 116 east of Hanna City (before the Farmington Road junction).

Most likely huge N-S differences in snowfall reports between the north and south sides of PIA (N have-nots, S Haves) and N & S SPI (reverse of PIA).

Looks like US-136 was ground zero for the heaviest snow at least west of I-55 (the SB off-ramp on I-155 Exit 10 for 136 north of Lincoln) was still in atrocious condition as of 10:30 this morning.  Not too far from the northern Logan County (WWA county) border with Tazewell (NO WWA).

ILX should have eventually added all their CWA counties north of I-70 EXCEPT Knox (Galesburg), Stark, and Marshall to the WWA.  At first with an extension along a Canton-Bloomington line (Fulton, Tazewell, McLean), then eventually to Peoria and Woodford and all of the immediate PIA area. (with roughly the IL-116/US-24 southward areas more of the concern in those counties.  And extended the end time to about 10AM to capture the morning commute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×