Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12th - 13th The It's Not Coming Storm Part 2

Rjay

Just now, NorthShoreWx said:

So within each accumulation zone there can be spots that match the snowfall forecasted for two zones higher.  I believe the meteorological term for that is hedge.

I think that's a more responsible prediction method. It boggles my mind that mets act like we can clearly demarcate accumulation zones when that's just not possible yet. The Capital Weather Gang does similar stuff regarding boom/bust potential. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

So within each accumulation zone there can be spots that match the snowfall forecasted for two zones higher.  I believe the meteorological term for that is hedge.

That's how you account for banding, which is impossible to predict with much lead time. 

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Have to agree with this. Late season storms as we have seen are very banding dependent. 

With this one it’s all about where the western deform sets up 

He just doesn't like me, so he decided to take a shot. No big deal.

2 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Not just late season storms.  Pretty much every wound up winter storm.

True but expecially now. Light rates that would slowly accumulate in January will not cut it now.

by the way you look to be in an excellent spot for the secondary maxima. I could see you grabbing a foot 

15 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

That's how you account for banding, which is impossible to predict with much lead time. 

I was noting that there is no risk of that forecast busting due to verification on the high side.  Low side yes, but the 12z tendency has been for higher accumulations.

I don't believe predicting banding is impossible.  It is just way beyond our amateur skill sets.  I agree that banding is a wildcard for this storm.

5 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

True but expecially now. Light rates that would slowly accumulate in January will not cut it now.

by the way you look to be in an excellent spot for the secondary maxima. I could see you grabbing a foot 

Good point.  Lighter snows after sunrise are just going to fall on a shrinking pack and melt on pavement.  I still blame the time change ;)

5 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Light rates will have no trouble accumulating on the 32F snow with high albedo, in general.  And for non-snow/paved surfaces, light to moderate rates will have little problem accumulating after dark, when most of this is supposed to fall, as long as the snowfall rate is probably above 1/4" per hour, which is probably the melting rate at night on 34-36F surfaces with 33-34F air temps - and once a layer of snow accumulates on non-snow/paved surfaces, further accumulation is uninhibited as the snow at 32F is now the new "surface" and melting from 33-34F air is minimal.  

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

I think HV21 was just posting it for reference. You can win some brownie points by posting your own analysis and elevating the discussion. :)

Good point... next time... I think that this will be entertaining to watch unfold even though we are on the outside looking in.  Come on 50 miles WEST is all I ask LOL

19 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

I was noting that there is no risk of that forecast busting due to verification on the high side.  Low side yes, but the 12z tendency has been for higher accumulations.

I don't believe predicting banding is impossible.  It is just way beyond our amateur skill sets.  I agree that banding is a wildcard for this storm.

CCB is in and out of LI--someone on the west side - probably west of Suffolk will get skunked by subsidence. The mid level banding is north of you in New England when the mid levels close off...

17 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

Light rates will have no trouble accumulating on the 32F snow with high albedo, in general.  And for non-snow/paved surfaces, light to moderate rates will have little problem accumulating after dark, when most of this is supposed to fall, as long as the snowfall rate is probably above 1/4" per hour, which is probably the melting rate at night on 34-36F surfaces with 33-34F air temps - and once a layer of snow accumulates on non-snow/paved surfaces, further accumulation is uninhibited as the snow at 32F is now the new "surface" and melting from 33-34F air is minimal.  

That's BS. Paved surfaces will be wet, and grassy surfaces will net near zero under those conditions. 

• BxEngine unpinned and pinned this topic
  • BxEngine unpinned this topic

Archived