Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 8th-11th Overrunning Event

Snowstorms

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'll go with a first guess of 10-14"... event total, but most of it falling before Saturday.  Leaning away from the drier Euro and more toward the consensus, including the 3 km NAM which should be useful given mesoscale banding.  I think it's possible that even that is a bit conservative if that heavy band really performs and doesn't wobble away prematurely, but I feel like this is the reasonable/likely but not snowiest possible outcome.

You're looking good...solid first guess.

Think I'm going 1-12" for IKK. :D Lower end is more likely of course...probably more like 1-3". I need the non NAM-Euro solutions to work out for MBY, so yeah. Of course Saturday's action could help things all along, but first things first...  

20 minutes ago, mimillman said:

NAM and Euro are probably too far north. GFS and RGEM are probably too far south.

Euro is probably underdone on QPF. Others are probably overdone on QPF.

Blend gets you a solid storm basically right along I-80, just to the south of Chicago. 6-10" locked and loaded, final call here.

I think 6-10” is a safe call between 80 and 88, with the potential for far more depending on where the banding sets up. 

Its nice for chicago (and my area) that the storm is honed in enough that the north to south shifts keep us within the envelope. Should start to have a real good idea once the waves are sampled this evening. 

3 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

lol @ the NAM sending the main snow band NORTH of YYZ.

RGEM not being as far north is sort of a red flag for me. Like the further south solutions.

I'm thinking something between RGEM and NAM on Friday for YYZ. We'll get some clarity tonight. 

4 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

These WAA type events always make me worried things may trend north in the final hours, but I will say it's good to have the GFS on our side after how it's been doing lately.  

I wouldn’t be shocked to see a slight northward adjustment, but this is not a Madison special. We look to be in a good spot 

2 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

I wouldn’t be shocked to see a slight northward adjustment, but this is not a Madison special. We look to be in a good spot 

You guys along and north of I-88 are hopefully safe.  The NAM and it's ultra sharp cutoff on the southern edge of the WAA precip makes me a bit nervous lol.  My gut says Dubuque/Rockford/Geosville will get the heart of that band FWIW.  If tonight's GFS comes in similar to what it's been advertising I'll probably become quite a bit more optimistic.  

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

You guys along and north of I-88 are hopefully safe.  The NAM and it's ultra sharp cutoff on the southern edge of the WAA precip makes me a bit nervous lol.  My gut says Dubuque/Rockford/Geosville will get the heart of that band FWIW.  If tonight's GFS comes in similar to what it's been advertising I'll probably become quite a bit more optimistic.  

Just to clarify, you mean "safe" as in "going to get the advertised amount of snow", right? :)

9 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

The NAM has a classic "heavy band" look to me, much like you normally see with more classic clippers. The heaviest totals would reside about 25-40 miles north of that cutoff and rates/ratios might be quite nice within it. I am not as optimistic about a northward shift though. I think this is a Wapallo-streator-Kankakee special. I do agree with the forum consensus of give or take 8-12" in the heaviest band(with a potential to overperform?)

EDIT: I changed the towns to make it more clear what I meant

I don't know if I agree with the talk of South being the way to go, the LLJ is going to be ripping from the south, it is hard to discount that. Not saying the NAM12 is correct either because I think that is too far north but I do think the NAM3km is not a bad solution at this point.

2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I don't know if I agree with the talk of South being the way to go, the LLJ is going to be ripping from the south, it is hard to discount that. Not saying the NAM12 is correct either because I think that is too far north but I do think the NAM3km is not a bad solution at this point.

I see the northern wave sort of shearing/de-amplifying which will create a great deal of confluence between the two streams. This imo will force the baroclinic zone more to the south.

We'll see but that's why I'm running with the GFS/RGEM. I've been wrong a lot this winter. Happy to be wrong again.

Archived