• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

The GEFS and the EPS are pretty different ensemble means (obviously still the 00z EPS). But even overnight the clusters were pretty much EPS favoring higher pressure over southern Quebec, and the GEFS favoring lower pressure there.

That actually traced back to a stronger western CONUS wave, that closed off sooner.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The primary is more in tact with less commitment to secondary ...  I don't see that the changes otherwise will reflect very much sensibly at the surface though.  

It was always in question whether freezing/frozen or cold rain would result anyway, but the tone of these 'reactions' to as each successive model type as they've been arriving really speaks more to not caring about the operational meteorology ... putting most of one's energy into grousing about not getting the weather one wants.  

okay, but ... the high is still situated precariously in this run, and probably going to be headaches for deterministic forecasting there. 

It's a win for the appeal on the weekend though!  This run wants to hang the BD up more N of SNE proper... Man, what a couple of down-slope dandy's there should that prevail. We get Sunday too. Lovin' it... Long walks outside. 

We've been ... 'getting lucky' for lack of better words...  Eventually one might have wondered, would we eventually have to reel/concede to obscene early warmth ... 

At least per the GEF's derived teleconnectors.  Particularly the CDC numbers; the CPC has been much less impressive with it's recent SD significance with the descending PNA... showing way more modest reduction only into the -.75 (est).  Contrasting, the CDC has been plumbed clear to almost -3 SD or more. 

One thing that is notable is the difference in the mass-fields those two American agencies use.  The CDC uses low-level wind anomalies in their Empirical Orth. Functions, where as the CPC uses the mid-level geopotential heights for theirs.  Not sure what's better or worse frankly, ..much less ..per which season.  I'm almost inclined to suspect the CPC is more appropriate for winter, due to the hemispheric gradient associated with that season tending to 'focus' wave coherency at all scales... But, fact of the matter is ...conservation of mass immediately dictates that the heights will effect the wind... Anyway, because the CPC has been maintaining a less impressive prognostic for this 10 days ... I've been a little less gung-ho for a warm up as the CDC numbers would outright suggest.  

Boy...hell hath no fury if the CDC were gospel.   

I think La Nina early springs are not unheard of... I've mentioned this several times but it doesn't seem to spark much attention or replies... perhaps it doesn't deserve any, I dunno. But I haven't followed through on that study my self - just seem to have a memory of hearing and/or reading that somewhere. 

Meanwhile, it should put all you winter weather enthusiasts at ease to know that NASA (fitting for timing...) has just announced that 2017 is the second warmest in history (however 'history' is being defined for that context), and... included in that publication is the statement that when they removed (statistically) the El Nino effect, that makes 2017 the warmest.  

Slowly but surely ... if by inches when not by miles, we travel toward a destiny where this kind of crap gets ever more common.  

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I know. It’s painful to see the next  two weeks on guidance. Hopefully winter comes back with a vengeance.

Good ol' fashioned January thaw...get out the massive boombox blasting Whitesnake, fix your mullet, and party like it's 1986.

Archived