joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

I'll add one observation about the blizzard today.  Thing that impressed me the most was the wind.  It wasn't the strongest I've experienced with heavy snow conditions in my area, but man was it persistent.  And there was a very pronounced roar to it for several hours.  Absolutely looked and sounded like a blizzard.  Super cool.  

We drove on back streets from NE Buffalo to the Medical Campus around 4. William Gaiter (which I rarely ever use) had very little traffic but was an amazing whiteout. The stretch of the near east side from Kensington to the Fruit Belt was getting  pounded.

That's because the majority of TV meteorologists are just model huggers nowadays. Kinda like Burgundy in Anchorman reading whatever is on the promptor if the Mets see what the models say they go no further than that and then that's what they go with. We could all do the same thing.
That's why I no longer call the curriculum, Earth Sciences or Meteorology. I call it Modelology 101, because that's all that goes on these days is model hugging.

JB actually likes the GGEM, NAM and the RGEM because they agree with his ideas which I think is straight garbage as you simply cant pick a model because it agrees with your thoughts. That to me, is straight wishcasting and from a public figure like Joe, it shouldn't be done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

:o

codnexlab.NEXRAD.TYX.N0Q.20180103.009.048ani.gif

Do you have a link for this? I have to travel quite a bit for work between Syracuse and Watertown now so itd be a nice to have... when it works...

also for Syracuse area posters, any good links for traffic accidents, webcams for the i81 corridor? Had a front row seat to a 8-10 car pileup just north of parish early this afternoon 

40 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

What else is there to go by though? Models, Ensembles, Analogs, general pattern recognition, and past experience as a Met in any given location. 

The past experience part and pattern recognition is only by the true AMS certified Mets. I can guarantee you the weather person on wgrz is not a certified met. I was always told by Don Paul that dry air can easily be overcome on lake Erie due to the long fetch and many times that has happened. Point blank they all missed that today.

4 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

That's why I no longer call the curriculum, Earth Sciences or Meteorology. I call it Modelology 101, because that's all that goes on these days is model hugging.

JB actually likes the GGEM, NAM and the RGEM because they agree with his ideas which I think is straight garbage as you simply cant pick a model because it agrees with your thoughts. That to me, is straight wishcasting and from a public figure like Joe, it shouldn't be done.

More often than not he is correct. Can see pattern way in advance. He is not a god but is good at pattern recognition

12 minutes ago, Polarbear said:

Do you have a link for this? I have to travel quite a bit for work between Syracuse and Watertown now so itd be a nice to have... when it works...

also for Syracuse area posters, any good links for traffic accidents, webcams for the i81 corridor? Had a front row seat to a 8-10 car pileup just north of parish early this afternoon 

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

:o

codnexlab.NEXRAD.TYX.N0Q.20180103.009.048ani.gif

That area of orographically enhanced convergence in northern Lewis County is insane. That looks like 5 inch an hour stuff and is basically like a standing wave it’s so persistent  

And poor swva, he’s being a great sport about this. I’d be absolutely livid. 

29 minutes ago, phoenixny said:

If my memory serves it's been almost 3 weeks since Clay/Phoenix had a 6+" snowfall in a day. Nickle and dime continues. 

I think so. I may have had a 4" day but that was a one off.  Dim prospects for any change in that pattern also. The only decent qpf in the offing is next week, which looks right now to be a mix of some sort.  

I think so. I may have had a 4" day but that was a one off.  Dim prospects for any change in that pattern also. The only decent qpf in the offing is next week, which looks right now to be a mix of some sort.  
I had one 4.5" day but that was a complete surprise to me, which is usually the case!

32 minutes ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I had one 4.5" day but that was a complete surprise to me, which is usually the case!

Just wait till Thurs & Fri when an hour or two of sorta snow turns into days of crystal meth that accumulates at 1" / week rates (other than in towns of Oswego & Mexico). ;)

Kind of bummed to see that sharp Western edge of deep synoptic moisture never get past the North Country.  Another 100 miles West and the lake would really fire up.  Guess there is still some hope but I think we may end up mostly on the sidelines with just nuisance snows.  I suppose the winds could bail us out and give us some treacherous whiteouts and travel conditions....it would be nice.  

Archived