Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Bob Chill said:

No op scores well beyond 96-120 hours. We're still at a range where ops can find and lose a storm every run. 

Very true. We're at the point where it's like kicking a 70 yard field goal with wind that gusting to the right. Could be well OTS, but we won't know with certainty. We need to get to the point where it's more of a chip shot (I know bad analogy)

Just now, Ji said:

usually when the euro is the the only model giving us snow...its time to look ahead. I mean GFS isnt even close and the Canadien went the wrong way. 

Imho, outside of the 4/5 day period, Euro can be just as bad as any other model.  Reputations are hard to shake, good and bad. The other models have made decent improvements over the years and are neck and neck with the Euro.  But the Euro's reputation holds on so everyone remembers Sandy but generally forgets the failures. I'm not suggesting it's a bad model, just not as superior as it used to be when compared to the other models. 

6 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Agree. See post above. 

I don't think many people think the euro is great beyond 4-5 days. Ops are a long ways from good accuracy that far out in time. Inside of 72 hours I weight the euro highest by a good margin though. Rightfully so because it's the best op out there and does a really good job with qpf. Sure, it blows those sometimes and the gfs or whatever does better but if I had to pick one op and ditch the rest I would keep the euro by a mile. 

King my arse....but, you never know. Lol

Nobody ever said the euro was the king of handling a progressive ns pattern......that is generally the gfs' specialty. Take the model biases, prog clues, and early seasonal patterns into account and a general feel can be made with some semblance of accuracy this season. There are going to be plenty of big dog progs.....it is utilizing this date to figure out which one might be the real deal. We need a pattern relax.....right now clippers are our best bet. Patience.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived