Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

dryslot

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s nuts. No yellow yet? Been out for 10 days here. Glad we live here.

I just had my first crocus flower today! Still plenty of snow patches. I have a forsythia but the stupid thing only flowers in the very lower part of the shrub, close to the ground (presumably, under the deepest snow). I think I'm going to pull it out one of these days. 

Unfortuantely, a lot of the ornamental pine trees I planted also suffered significant winter burn. Was not expecting that out of pine trees, grr... 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hit Jay Peak Today. What was forecasted to be an iffy day weatherwise turned out partly sunny towards the end of the day. No rain while lifts were running.  It’s amazing how the valley only a few miles away had bare ground, but the “glacier” from Jay literally started at the slope side of the Stateside Hotel. Tram was closed, but still quite a bit of trails open from the Jet triple and Bonaventure Quad running. Lots of snow on the hill and a bunch of glades still open and good coverage.  Tomorrow might not be so great. I’ll post some pics if I can figure out how, lol. 

14 hours ago, alex said:

I just had my first crocus flower today! Still plenty of snow patches. I have a forsythia but the stupid thing only flowers in the very lower part of the shrub, close to the ground (presumably, under the deepest snow). I think I'm going to pull it out one of these days. 

Unfortuantely, a lot of the ornamental pine trees I planted also suffered significant winter burn. Was not expecting that out of pine trees, grr... 

Alex,   Just drove down to Concord.  Yellow forsythia.  Also noticed the same thing.  Bottoms that stay under snow are yellow but the tops have not opened yet.  So it does have to do with the snow acting as an insulator. Maybe if you decide to keep it, throw snow over it each winter.  Probably too much work for 10 days of yellow flowers.

Your climate is more like  Southern Quebec so take a look at what species (plants veggies) do good up there.   Maybe your even too cold for forsythia.  We planted a peach tree years ago and it has done great.  That prolonged brutal cold spell back in early January might have killed the buds, we will know soon.

Let me know how those lupines do.  The seeds I threw down last year have actually started to sprout the past couple of days.  Grass greening up finally too!

16 hours ago, alex said:

I’m in north east pa right now at 1900’ doing a huge forsythia pruning project. Even down here they are still just starting to yellow on the bud but not open.

its also been snowing all day which is just insane 

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Its also been snowing all day which is just insane 

I just checked the Sugarbush webcams, and there’s just a touch of accumulation at 3,125’, but 2 to 3 inches new at 3,900’.  The snowline is pretty high right now, but even dropping a couple of degrees would help get some accumulations in those middle elevations.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

356 PM EDT Sun Apr 29 2018

NEAR TERM /THROUGH MONDAY NIGHT/...

As of 355 PM EDT Sunday...Above 2000 feet, we still expect several inches of snow to accumulate, totaling 8-10" across the high peaks of the Adirondacks, and 4-6" across the Greens.

Saw some video from a friend's in Stowe who lives at 1600ft and it was snowing big wet aggregates just now.  

Snow levels must be dropping.  PWS are now down into the 30s with a bunch of 33-36F readings in the higher spots.

Another buddy of mine at 1,500ft in Huntington, VT has 1/2 inch down and snowing hard.

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Alex,   Just drove down to Concord.  Yellow forsythia.  Also noticed the same thing.  Bottoms that stay under snow are yellow but the tops have not opened yet.  So it does have to do with the snow acting as an insulator. Maybe if you decide to keep it, throw snow over it each winter.  Probably too much work for 10 days of yellow flowers.

Your climate is more like  Southern Quebec so take a look at what species (plants veggies) do good up there.   Maybe your even too cold for forsythia.  We planted a peach tree years ago and it has done great.  That prolonged brutal cold spell back in early January might have killed the buds, we will know soon.

Let me know how those lupines do.  The seeds I threw down last year have actually started to sprout the past couple of days.  Grass greening up finally too!

Definitely not worth it. They are pretty but last way too short to put any effort into it! The thing that annoys me is the burn on the evergreens that are planted. Everything was at least zone 4. I suppose it could have something to do with the fact that they are newly planted. They are definitely alive, we'll see how they fare next year

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Saw some video from a friend's in Stowe who lives at 1600ft and it was snowing big wet aggregates just now.  

Snow levels must be dropping.  PWS are now down into the 30s with a bunch of 33-36F readings in the higher spots.

Another buddy of mine at 1,500ft in Huntington, VT has 1/2 inch down and snowing hard.

LOL, I just read your post and was going to comment on how it didn’t surprise me because we’re down into the 30s F at our site in the valley bottom.  It made me look outside and indeed even here at 500’ we’ve got big fat flakes falling now.  You know the snow level is dropping if we’re getting snow all the way down here.  Surprisingly, it’s not showing up in terms of accumulation on the 3,125’ board at Sugarbush, but I guess it will eventually.

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

-32 this winter? Oye.

Actually, I just noticed it got lower than that. -34.4 is the lowest recorded this winter, followed by -31.9. I'm on my phone so it's a pain to try and find the exact dates but you can get the entire history from my PWS (in my signature). I'm in an awful spot for radiational cooling. You can drive a mile from my house and it's 5 degrees warmer sometimes. 

On a bright note, just made another batch of maple syrup and it's still excellent in flavor. I assume that's the last of it but we'll see. 

8 minutes ago, alex said:

Actually, I just noticed it got lower than that. -34.4 is the lowest recorded this winter, followed by -31.9. I'm on my phone so it's a pain to try and find the exact dates but you can get the entire history from my PWS (in my signature). I'm in an awful spot for radiational cooling. You can drive a mile from my house and it's 5 degrees warmer sometimes. 

On a bright note, just made another batch of maple syrup and it's still excellent in flavor. I assume that's the last of it but we'll see. 

There nuts lol. But I’ve been up there at near -30 so not surprised.

22 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice day before the rain moved in this evening.

Great day for a skin and ski at Stowe... natural snow trails still top-to-bottom on April 28th.  Skied Starr from top-to-bottom and it was likely my best run of the season on that trail.  Nice corn or wet granular and the rain mellowed out the moguls and smoothed things out.  Very fun skiing.  Glades are still skiable pretty much everywhere too. 

This is where the eastern slope of Mansfield really shows it's snow preservation this time of year.  It's all in the shade during the afternoon max heating while the entire west slope gets baked by sun. 

31543248_10103402031802860_4863393547472

PF, I love that shot, is it from your Canon?  If so, what focal length?  It’s got a wide look that provides some neat perspective.  It’s funny because one of the lenses I had along yesterday on my Bolton outing was the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and I was having a lot of fun shooting wide-angle shots with it.

I was actually going to pass along a photo update from yesterday in response to your west slope comment.  There’s actually still top-to-bottom snow at Timberline.  It’s assisted somewhat by snowmaking of course, but it’s still pretty impressive for this time of year for west slope terrain down at that elevation.  A shot from the Timberline Mid Station looking down toward the Timberline Base:

28APR18B.jpg

2 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

PF, I love that shot, is it from your Canon?  If so, what focal length?  It’s got a wide look that provides some neat perspective.  It’s funny because one of the lenses I had along yesterday on my Bolton outing was the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and I was having a lot of fun shooting wide-angle shots with it.

I was actually going to pass along a photo update from yesterday in response to your west slope comment.  There’s actually still top-to-bottom snow at Timberline.  It’s assisted somewhat by snowmaking of course, but it’s still pretty impressive for this time of year for west slope terrain down at that elevation.  A shot from the Timberline Mid Station looking down toward the Timberline Base:

28APR18B.jpg

It's actually an iPhone photo on pano mode.  I've found that to be a great photo tool for a scene that's just slightly wider than what my lenses will capture.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Wow, nice Eyewall.

Did you hike or was that accessible from the road elevation?

That was all in the base area accessible from the road elevation (2000ft or so). I hiked in just a 1/4 mile or so from the lot. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It's actually an iPhone photo on pano mode.  I've found that to be a great photo tool for a scene that's just slightly wider than what my lenses will capture.

Nice, I like integrating iPhone pics into my stuff as well – I should try the panoramic mode more often though because it’s pretty useful.  The biggest issue I find with our iPhones is action photography of course; even with their burst modes they’re still light years behind DSLRs in that area at this point.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Snowing steadily at the Stowe base area but accumulations look to be at 2,000ft based on trees turning white. 

Snow levels are much lower on the western side from the added upslope cooling.  Accumulating to 800ft on the Nashville, VT weather cam.

Ahh, that would explain the apparent snowfall discrepancy with the 3,125’ board at Sugarbush; even as darkness hit it didn’t seem like it had really accumulated much more than a trace of new snow.

Archived