Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Met question, this is sick sounding from interior Eastern Canada says dendritic growth zone -12/-17 does this mean snowflakes are forming at the surface?

gfs_2017123000_144_52.25--78.5.png

The DGZ is the temp range where you get max dendritic crystal growth...that -12C to -18C layer. The snow crystals will grow in varying arrangements and size at any sufficient temperature/supersaturation below freezing though. "Sufficient" meaning cold enough to produce ice nuclei. That sounding kinda sucks for snow growth because the entire max DGZ is below the ground. Where you have saturation and lift the temps are in the -30s Celcius. That's going to give you small crystals in the shape of prisms, columns, and bullets...i.e. lower ratio and sugar like.

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

That was a head scratcher the last couple days to have this tucked in close to the coast and tracking inland only to have it shift 500 miles east in a couple runs, H5 maps had a lot of variation to them as the models try to sort this all out, Better sampling should give us a clearer picture over the next couple days but you have to like where it seems to be heading right now.

Jeff, are you familiar with the Dec 30, 1962 event?

Steve will appreciate this...one of three coastals to form along an arctic boundary, which contributed to absolutely prodigious snows just to the west of the arctic front, protruding to the north of the low.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The DGZ is the temp range where you get max dendritic crystal growth...that -12C to -18C layer. The snow crystals will grow in varying arrangements and size at any sufficient temperature/supersaturation below freezing though. "Sufficient" meaning cold enough to produce ice nuclei. That sounding kinda sucks for snow growth because the entire max DGZ is below the ground. Where you have saturation and lift the temps are in the -30s Celcius. That's going to give you small crystals in the shape of prisms, columns, and bullets...i.e. lower ratio and sugar like.

Diamond dust for days. Holy cold incoming Thanks 

Another all time record low 850 for ALB like Feb 14/2016 the current record of 30.9.

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Steve will appreciate this...one of three coastals to form along an arctic boundary, which contributed to absolutely prodigious snows just to the west of the arctic front, protruding to the north of the low.

No, Not without looking at it.

9 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Tamarack and Jerry's  favorite, feet in NJ.  Anafrontal city

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Tamarack and Jerry's  favorite, feet in NJ.  Anafrontal city

No, it crushed central-eastern Maine

The other two examples are Blizz of 1888, and Novie 1950 bomb.

That is pretty much the only thing left on my bucket list, now that I got my Christmas snow storm....one of those arctic boundary mutants.

Rare breed-

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

No, it crushed central-eastern Maine

The other two examples are Blizz of 1888, and Novie 1950 bomb.

That is pretty much the only thing left on my bucket list, now that I got my Christmas snow storm....one of those arctic boundary mutants.

Rare breed-

What’d you get in Mar 93?

11 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m not sure I’d favor it... but something like that is definitely in play. Canadian clips James but then crushes eastern Maine 

I wasn't using it as an analog....I was just toying with the notion of this attaching itself to the arctic front....but that's a question for a closer range.

Walk right in by the rooftop singers climbed the charts to number 1. I was excited about the cold.  The original uncle wethbee was talking about the big vortex in eastern Canada.  I was hoping for snow but alas-no soap.  The following late December was also kind of cold.  I had a date NYE and I remember walking across town with snow squeaking under my feet.  A lot of cold December’s in the late 50s to mid 70s.

Archived