joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2017-18 OBS Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our school ski/snowboard club has a trip to Poconos tomorrow morning at 5am. It's a 3.5hour drive from cape May but should be really fun on fresh snow. Hope the ride home isn't too bad since i'd like to catch the second half of the game at my buddy's party. Go birds!

ps we booked this trip months ago had no idea Eagles would do so well this season. 

WXSIM with 18z data has trended snowier and still keeps temps below freezing in NW Chester County PA

Sunday: Cloudy in the morning, becoming dense overcast in the afternoon. A chance of snow in the morning, then a mix of snow, sleet, freezing rain, and rain likely in the afternoon. High 30. Wind chill ranging from 15 to 24. Wind south-southwest around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Precipitation  (liquid equivalent) mostly around half an inch. Snow or ice (on ground) accumulation 2 to 3 inches. Above-ground freezing rain accumulation up to 0.1 inches.                                                                                                                                          Sunday night: Dense overcast in the evening, becoming partly to mostly cloudy after midnight. Patchy light fog. A mix of freezing rain and sleet likely. Low 26. Wind chill ranging from 17 to 26. Wind west around 4 mph in the evening, becoming 9 mph, gusting to 19 mph, after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around half an inch. Ice (on ground) accumulation about a quarter inch. Above-ground freezing rain  accumulation up to 0.2 inches.          

Feb 10-16 time frame screams gradient event. Could envision a roller coaster with highs in the 60s one day, NS squashes warm ridge next via a front, wave or 2 develops along old front in Tenn Valley type thing. Now whether the NS wins and keeps things squashed and shreds anything or forces it ots is tbd BUT with the SER showing hints of emerging, that could become our savior forcing the waves N and into the colder air post front. Something to keep an eye on as guidance is starting to signal 'something' during this period.

13 hours ago, RedSky said:

NAM has me all rain after 10 minutes of obligatory pingers

Oh joy

Getting our 10 minutes of light snow here now....don't like to be pessimistic, but the temperature won't stop rising, up to 36F currently. Expectations here have been pretty low anyway, with the edge of accumulating snow (on the models) slipping gradually NW the last few days, with the one head fake yesterday pm. Haven't given up on Wednesday, don't need a whole lot of south/slightly flatter trend to give most of us a shot. Go Eagles!!!

3 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Light flurries here and 40 degrees. Will be raining in no time. Hopefully a sign the gods have accepted my super bowl snow sacrifice. E A G L E S EAGLES!!!!!

All rain here now. Not many times I wish for wet rather than white but I'm traveling to Phoenixville for the game so go ahead "weather gods"...rain away!

Archived